Entering from the southwest on Illinois Route 16
|Official name: The City of Hillsboro|
|Motto: "Pride, Progress, Prosperity"|
|Elevation||623 ft (190 m)|
|Area||8.32 sq mi (22 km2)|
|- land||6.55 sq mi (17 km2)|
|- water||1.77 sq mi (5 km2)|
|Population||6,207 (2010 Census)|
|Density||947.63 / sq mi (366 / km2)|
|- summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|Wikimedia Commons: Hillsboro, Illinois|
|Website: City of Hillsboro, Illinois Website|
Hillsboro is located at (39.164973, -89.484572).
According to the 2010 census, the city has a total area of 8.32 square miles (21.5 km2), of which 6.55 square miles (17.0 km2) (or 78.73%) is land and 1.77 square miles (4.6 km2) (or 21.27%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 4,359 people, 1,800 households, and 1,189 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,214.9 people per square mile (468.8/km²). There were 1,944 housing units at an average density of 541.8 per square mile (209.1/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 97.22% White, 1.10% African American, 0.32% Native American, 0.37% Asian, 0.07% Pacific Islander, 0.39% from other races, and 0.53% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.19% of the population.
There were 1,800 households out of which 33.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 50.2% were married couples living together, 11.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 33.9% were non-families. 30.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 14.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.36 and the average family size was 2.91.
In the city the population was spread out with 25.8% under the age of 18, 8.4% from 18 to 24, 27.2% from 25 to 44, 21.0% from 45 to 64, and 17.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 85.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 80.3 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $33,075, and the median income for a family was $40,135. Males had a median income of $31,821 versus $18,668 for females. The per capita income for the city was $17,458. About 14.3% of families and 17.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 24.9% of those under age 18 and 11.9% of those age 65 or over.
Notable people 
- John Meek Whitehead, (1852-1924) Wisconsin state senator
- Otto Funk, (1868–1934) World record-setting Violinist
- Brian Graden, (born 1963) president of entertainment, MTV Networks
- Matt Hughes, (born 1973) mixed martial artist
- John Hawkins Rountree, Wisconsin pioneer and legislator, lived in Hillsboro
- "City of Hillsboro, Illinois". City of Hillsboro, Illinois. Retrieved August 31, 2012.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- Allan H. Keith, Historical Stories: About Greenville and Bond County, IL. Consulted on August 15, 2007.
- "Hillsboro, Illinois". City-Data.com. Retrieved August 31, 2012.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "2010 Census U.S. Gazetteer Files for Places – Illinois". United States Census. Retrieved 2012-10-13.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Otto Funk". Historical Society of Montgomery County, Illinois. Retrieved August 31, 2012.
- Hillsboro city website
- Hillsboro Schools website
- Hillsboro Illinois Historical Society of Montgomery County Illinois
- Hillsboro Old Settlers Historical Society of Montgomery County Illinois