White County Courthouse downtown
|Name origin: Biblical: Carmi, nephew of Joseph.|
|Motto: Where northern vigor meets southern hospitality|
|Elevation||387 ft (118 m)|
|Length||2.76 mi (4 km), NE|
|Area||2.53 sq mi (7 km2)|
|- land||2.50 sq mi (6 km2)|
|- water||0.03 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Density||2,187.7 / sq mi (845 / km2)|
|- summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|Wikimedia Commons: Carmi, Illinois|
According to the 2010 census, the city has a total area of 2.53 square miles (6.6 km2), of which 2.50 square miles (6.5 km2) (or 98.81%) is land and 0.03 square miles (0.078 km2) (or 1.19%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 5,422 people, 2,390 households, and 1,477 families residing in the city. The population density was 2,187.7 people per square mile (844.1/km²). There were 2,667 housing units at an average density of 1,076.1/sq mi (415.2/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 98.30% White, 0.48% African American, 0.35% Native American, 0.24% Asian, 0.06% from other races, and 0.57% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.65% of the population.
There were 2,390 households out of which 23.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 49.7% were married couples living together, 9.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 38.2% were non-families. 35.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 20.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.16 and the average family size was 2.78.
In the city the population was spread out with 20.4% under the age of 18, 8.2% from 18 to 24, 23.7% from 25 to 44, 21.7% from 45 to 64, and 25.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 43 years. For every 100 females there were 84.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 81.7 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $25,667, and the median income for a family was $32,456. Males had a median income of $30,735 versus $16,693 for females. The per capita income for the city was $15,886. About 11.7% of families and 15.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 21.4% of those under age 18 and 11.6% of those age 65 or over.
- Carmi-White County Community School District #5 (web site)
- Carmi Christian School (web site)
 Notable people
- Orlando Burrell, White County judge, White County Sheriff, congressman
- Roy Clippinger, congressman
- Everton Conger, Union Army Lieutenant colonel (Civil War), federal judge, involved in manhunt for John Wilkes Booth
- John M. Crebs, Union Army Lieutenant colonel (Civil War), congressman
- Josh Elder, comic book creator (Mail Order Ninja, StarCraft: Frontline)
- Frederick J. Karch, Brigadier General with the U.S. Marine Corps (World War II, Vietnam)
- Samuel D. Lockwood, Illinois Attorney General, Illinois Secretary of State, Illinois Supreme Court justice
- Glenn Poshard, state senator, congressman, Illinois Gubernatorial Candidate, and president of Southern Illinois University
- Sandy Rios, talk show host and Fox News Channel contributor
- John McCracken Robinson, senator, Illinois Supreme Court justice
- Run Kid Run, Christian band
- Side Walk Slam, punk rock band
- Jeff Stryker, adult film actor, AVN Award Hall of Fame inductee
- James R. Williams, congressman
- Bob Sykes (baseball), Professional baseball player
 See also
- "2010 Census U.S. Gazetteer Files for Places - Illinois". United States Census. Retrieved 2012-05-03.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.