Luiz Adriano in 2009
|Full name||Luiz Adriano de Souza da Silva|
|Date of birth||12 April 1987|
|Place of birth||Porto Alegre, Brazil|
|Height||1.82 m (5 ft 11 1⁄2 in)|
|Current club||Shakhtar Donetsk|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 3 December 2013.
† Appearances (Goals).
The top moment of his career, however, did not come until late 2006, as Internacional faced against Barcelona in the FIFA Club World Cup. Luiz Adriano came in as a late substitute and helped the squad as teammate Adriano Gabiru netted the winner in the 82nd minute. Luiz Adriano scored the defining goal for Internacional in their 2–1 win over Al-Ahly during the semifinals of the tournament.
Luiz Adriano was transferred from Internacional to Ukrainian side Shakhtar Donetsk on 2 March 2007, for a reported price of €3 million (R$8,128,830). With Shakhtar he won the Ukrainian Premier League. He scored the opening goal of the 2009 UEFA Cup Final which his team Shakhtar Donetsk went on to win 2–1 after extra time. Following the UEFA Cup, he had provided his club with many goals, holding the image of a target man.
In July 2012, on the 10th, Adriano opened the score in the 2012 Ukrainian Super Cup against cup holders Metalurh Donetsk, to help Shakhtar claim the trophy after a 2–0 victory. Luiz netted his first goal of the 2012–13 Premier League season in a 3–0 victory over Karpaty Lviv. He scored the last goal in a 3–1 victory over Dynamo Kyiv on 2 September. He scored the third goal in a 3–0 victory over Zorya Luhansk on 15 September, with an assist from Willian.
On 20 November 2012, playing against Danish team FC Nordsjælland in the UEFA Champions League, Adriano scored a controversial 1–1 equalizer. After an injury to a Nordsjælland player led to a dropped-ball, Shakhtar player Willian attempted to return it to the Nordsjaelland goalkeeper but Luiz Adriano pounced on the pass, rounded the goalkeeper and finished into an empty net the ball towards Nordsjælland's goalkeeper. This led to heavy protests from the Danish players and crowd. UEFA opened a disciplinary case against Adriano, and banned him for one game for unsporting behaviour. Shakhtar released a statement backing the UEFA decision and stated that they were deeply disappointed by Adriano's actions.
Adriano's father worked as a security guard at a chemical plant, and his mother was a housewife. His parents are divorced. He has two brothers, Murillo, who is also a footballer, and Fabiano, and two sisters, Patricia and Caroline. His childhood idols include Romário and Ronaldo. He has four tattoos, one on his hand, one on his back, one on his arm and one on his neck. 
Statistics for Shakhtar Donetsk
- As of 1 March 2014
- Shakhtar Donetsk
- UEFA Cup: 2008–09
- Ukrainian Premier League: 2007–08, 2009–10, 2010–11, 2011–12, 2012–13
- Ukrainian Cup: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2013
- Ukrainian Super Cup: 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013
- "Luiz Adriano pode acabar no Lokomotiv de Moscou" (in Portuguese). UOL. 6 February 2007. Retrieved 20 May 2009.
- "Luiz Adriano" (in Portuguese). Futpédia. Retrieved 20 May 2009.
- "Inter bate Barcelona e leva mundial pela primeira vez" (in Portuguese). Terra. 17 December 2006. Retrieved 20 May 2009.
- "No sufoco, Inter derrota Al Ahly e vai à final" (in Portuguese). Terra. 13 December 2006. Retrieved 20 May 2009.
- "RELATÓRIO DA DIRETORIA (2007)" (in Portuguese). SC Internacional. Retrieved 27 April 2012.
- "Inter vende Luiz Adriano para o Shakhtar Donetsk" (in Portuguese). O Globo. 3 March 2007. Retrieved 20 May 2009.
- "Jadson the difference as Shakhtar triumph". UEFA. 20 May 2009. Retrieved 20 May 2009.
- "Mircea Lucescu şi Raţ au luat a patra Supercupă în Ucraina". Gazeta Sporturilor (in Romanian). 11 July 2012. Retrieved 11 July 2012.
- "Shakhtar Donetsk vs Karpaty 3–0". Retrieved 4 September 2012.
- "Shakhtar Donetsk vs Dynamo Kyiv 3–1". Retrieved 4 September 2012.
- "Zorya vs Shakhtar Donetsk". Retrieved 15 September 2012.
- "Champions League round-up: Bayern, Valencia, Barca through". BBC. 20 November 2012. Retrieved 21 November 2012.
- Brasilianer als Buhmann
- "http://uk.reuters.com/article/2012/11/28/uk-soccer-uefa-luizadriano-idUKBRE8AR01O20121128". Reuters. Retrieved 28 November 2012.
- "Luiz Adriano: There’s no reason to remove Ukrainians from squad". Retrieved 1 March 2014.