Luke Evans (actor)
Evans at the 2014 San Diego Comic Con International
15 April 1979 |
Aberbargoed, Monmouthshire, Wales, United Kingdom
Luke Evans (born 15 April 1979) is a Welsh actor and singer. Evans began his career in stage acting performing in many of London's West End productions such as Rent, Miss Saigon, and Piaf before getting his breakthrough role in Hollywood starring in 2010's Clash of the Titans remake, playing Apollo. Following his debut, Evans was cast in action and thriller films such as Immortals, The Raven and played Aramis in the 2011 revamped adaptation of The Three Musketeers.
In 2013, Evans starred as the main antagonist Owen Shaw in the blockbuster Fast & Furious 6. He was also cast as Bard the Bowman in Peter Jackson's three-part adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit. Evans has been cast as the lead in the reboot of the comic book film The Crow and is slated to portray the vampire Dracula in the character's film origin story Dracula Untold.
Luke Evans was born and raised in Aberbargoed, a small town in the Rhymney Valley, Monmouthshire, Wales, the only child of Yvonne and David Evans. He was raised as one of Jehovah's Witnesses, though he left the religion when he was 16 and left school at the same time.
At the age of seventeen, he moved to Cardiff, where he studied under the supervision of Louise Ryan, an established singing coach. In 1997 he won a scholarship to The London Studio Centre in Kings Cross, London. He graduated in 2000.
From 2007 to 2008 Evans starred in many of London's West End productions including La Cava, Taboo, Rent, Miss Saigon and Avenue Q as well as several fringe shows in London and at the Edinburgh Festival.
In 2008, he landed his most significant theatre role playing Vincent in the play Small Change written and directed by Peter Gill at the Donmar Warehouse, it was significant in that he gained recognition from film casting directors and US agencies from this play and he was also nominated for the Evening Standard award for best newcomer because of his performance in Small Change. Later that same year he did his second show at the Donmar Warehouse, Piaf, in which he played Yves Montand.
Evans got his first film audition aged thirty. In 2009, he landed his first film, playing the Greek god Apollo in the 2010 remake Clash of the Titans. Also in 2010, he appeared as Clive in the film Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll, directed by Matt Whitecross, as the Sheriff of Nottingham's thug in Robin Hood, alongside Matthew Macfadyen (whom he would later play alongside again in The Three Musketeers), and played handyman and good guy Andy, in director Stephen Frears’ film Tamara Drewe, based on Posy Simmond's comic strip. Evans went on to portray DI Craig Stokes in Blitz (2011), the film adaptation of Ken Bruen's novel of the same name, in which he starred with Jason Statham and Paddy Considine. In early 2010, he shot the independent movie, Flutter, directed by Giles Borg.
Evans played the Musketeer Aramis in Paul W. S. Anderson's version of The Three Musketeers (filmed in 2010 and released in 2011). He was cast in a lead role in Tarsem Singh's Greek epic, Immortals (2011), in which he played the King of the Gods, Zeus. And at the end of 2010, he took a role opposite John Cusack in James McTeigue's film The Raven, replacing Jeremy Renner. In the film, released in 2012 and set in mid-19th century Baltimore, Evans played Detective Emmett Fields, who investigates a series of murders alongside Cusack's Edgar Allan Poe. Shooting took place in Budapest and Serbia in November 2010.
In 2011, he shot No One Lives, a psychological horror film directed by Ryuhei Kitamara, in New Orleans, and began filming a role in Peter Jackson's three-part adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit, playing the role of Bard the Bowman.
In 2013, Evans played the antagonist Owen Shaw in Fast & Furious 6 and was cast as Eric Draven in the reboot of The Crow and Dracula in the reboot Dracula Untold, based on the novel Dracula by Irish novelist Bram Stoker.
In a 2002 interview, Evans said, "Everybody knew me as a gay man, and in my life in London I never tried to hide it" and that by being open he would not have "that skeleton in the closet they can rattle out". In 2004, he said his acting career had not suffered by being out. In September 2010, Holly Goodchild, a female marketing expert said she was dating Evans: "Luke's lovely – we're really old friends and it just sort of happened... We are nowhere near engaged but things are really good."
|2009||Don't Press Benjamin's Buttons||Benjamin's Father||Short|
|2010||Cowards and Monsters||Paul||Short|
|2010||Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll||Clive Richards|
|2010||Clash of the Titans||Apollo|
|2010||Robin Hood||Sheriff's Thug|
|2010||Tamara Drewe||Andy Cobb|
|2011||Blitz||DI Craig Stokes|
|2011||The Three Musketeers||Aramis|
|2012||The Raven||Inspector Emmett Fields|
|2012||No One Lives||Driver|
|2012||The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey||Girion, Lord of Dale||Extended Edition only|
|2013||Fast & Furious 6||Owen Shaw|
|2013||The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug||Bard / Girion, Lord of Dale|
|2013||The Great Train Robbery||Bruce Reynolds||TV Series: 2 Episodes|
|2014||Dracula Untold||Vlad III Țepeș/Dracula||Filming|
|2014||The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies||Bard||Post-production|
- WalesOnline - Lifestyle - Showbiz - Evans finds himself among the stars
- Fleming, Mike (16 June 2011). "Luke Evans To Play Bard in 'The Hobbit'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 16 June 2011.
- ‘The Crow’ Flies With Luke Evans
- Evans Starring in 'Dracula' Origin Story, Previously 'Dracula Year Zero'
- "Aberbargoed actor Luke Evans’ success in Hollywood". Wales Online. 3 June 2010. Retrieved 25 July 2013.
- Rachel Mainwaring (30 May 2010). "Welsh actor Luke Evans is hot Hollywood property". Wales Online. Retrieved 25 July 2013.
- "Hobbit star Luke Evans swaps the valleys for the Shire". The Guardian. 7 Dec 2013. Retrieved 11 Dec 2013.
- Luke Evans Interview TAMARA DREWE
- Welsh actor Luke Evans is hot Hollywood property - Wales News - News - WalesOnline
- Luke Evans | MYmovies
- Leins, Jeff. "Luke Evans, Alice Eve Join ‘The Raven’". News in Film. Retrieved 13 October 2010.
- Universal Dates ‘Dracula’ Origin Pic For August 8, 2014
- Title Change: 'Dracula' Renamed 'Dracula Untold'
- Oliver Lyttelton (13 June 2014). "'The Hobbit' Star Luke Evans Joins Tom Hiddleston In Ben Wheatley's 'High Rise'". Indie Wire. Retrieved 16 June 2014.
- Barclay, Paris (3 September 2002). "Breaking the Taboo". The Advocate. p. 55. Retrieved 4 August 2011. available online
- "Luke Goes Hardcore". QX Magazine. July 2004. Retrieved 8 July 2011.
- Turner, Robin (19 September 2010). "Tamara Drewe star lands love and new role". WalesOnline. Retrieved 9 August 2011.
- 1 years. "Luke Evans Joins Sixth 'Fast & Furious' Film". hollywoodreporter.com. Retrieved 25 July 2013.