Morgan Advanced Materials
|Traded as||LSE: MGAM|
|Tim Stevenson, Chairman
Mark Robertshaw, CEO
|Revenue||£921.7 million (2014)|
|£104.2 million (2014)|
|£12.3 million (2014)|
The company was founded in Battersea in South London by the six Morgan brothers in 1856 as The Patent Plumbago Syndicate Limited to make graphite crucibles. The Morgan Crucible Company was adopted as the name in 1881 and it diversified into carbon brushes in 1904.
In 1939 the company's subsidiary Morganite Crucible opened its works at Norton in Worcestershire. During the Second World War this facility employed European Voluntary Workers who were accommodated at Bowbrook House in nearby Peopleton. In 2010 the site, which had recently been closed, was sold for use as an industrial estate, but a Morgan presence remained in the shape of Molten Metals Ltd, a company set up by former Morgan employees Dave Hill and Jim Ritchie to distribute Morganite products and manufacture Morgan furnaces under licence.
In 1954 the company became one of the first businesses in the UK to computerise its financial records. The company relocated its Battersea manufacturing operations to Morriston in Wales in 1976. It changed its name to Morgan Advanced Materials in February 2013 to reflect the fact that it produces a variety of different products and supplies to many different industries.
The company has two divisions:
- Morgan Engineered Materials (produces carbon, silicon carbide, oxide-based ceramics and advanced polymeric composites)
- Morgan Ceramics (produces structural ceramic, electro-ceramic and precious metal products)
- "Income Statement 2014" (PDF). Morgan Advanced Materials. Retrieved 31 March 2015.
- "History". morganadvancedmaterials.com. Retrieved 31 March 2015.
- "Morganite Crucible Inc. Company Profile". Retrieved 2013-06-04.
- "Peopleton". Retrieved 2013-06-04.
- "Disused factory unit proves to be sound investment". 2011-03-03. Retrieved 2013-06-04.
- "HEC4 at Morgan Crucible". vk2bv.org. Retrieved 31 March 2015.
- Morgan Crucible no more FT.com, 14 February 2013
- Morgan Crucible profit falls on weak sales at engineered materials unit Thomson Reuters, 14 February 2013