|This article is an orphan, as no other articles link to it. Please introduce links to this page from ; try the Find link tool for suggestions. (December 2013)|
|Number of locations||4|
Softcat is a Marlow-based IT reseller founded by Peter Kelly in 1993. Martin Hellawell is the CEO. Colin Brown is the current managing director. It has UK offices in Bristol, London, Manchester and Marlow. Softcat is a privately owned company.
Softcat was founded in 1993 in High Wycombe, under its original business name 'Software Catalogue'. Initially a mail order operation serving home and business customers, in 1996 it switched focus to the business-to-business market, and in 1998 changed its name to Softcat. In 2001 it became a Microsoft Large Account Reseller. In 2006 it moved its headquarters to Marlow, Buckinghamshire, opening a further three offices in Manchester, London and Bristol  in 2009, 2011 and 2014 respectively. As of 2014, it has a client base of 8000 customers and a turnover of £500m. In September 2014, it announced it would open an office in the northern city of Leeds, UK 
Softcat currently employs 700 employees. Its offices have been described as 'quirky' and are reported to have an unusual work culture. In 2014 Softcat was ranked as the 2nd best workplace in the UK, and the 6th in Europe, by the Great Place to Work organisation.
Softcat has raised in excess of £700,000 for various charities since 2007, through both company-wide initiatives and individual efforts. Four of its staff ran the 2013 London Marathon, raising £11,000. Softcat's 2014 May Ball raised £236,000 for Dreams Come True, the charity for terminally ill children. In March 2013 it raised £37,000 for Comic Relief.
Corporate Social Responsibility
Softcat has a 'Green Team' managed by chairman Martin Hellawell, which has implemented energy efficient sensor lighting, tea bag recycling and a car pool scheme. Employees use a fleet of energy efficient 'car pool' cars to attend meetings. Its activity was featured on a Channel 4 documentary covering green credentials of UK businesses.
- "McDonalds-card-toting Softcat boss: I couldn't tell you how a computer works • The Channel". Channelregister.co.uk. Retrieved 2013-12-22.
- "Softcat eyes £500m sales as Brown opens up on first year at VAR - 30 Aug 2013 - CRN UK News". Channelweb.co.uk. 2013-08-30. Retrieved 2013-12-22.
- "Softcat opens new London hub - 20 Aug 2013 - CRN UK News". Channelweb.co.uk. 2013-08-20. Retrieved 2013-12-22.
- "New customer wins propel Softcat into the £500m club". CRN. 2014-11-26.
- "Softcat hits £500m sales milestone". The Register. 2014-11-26.
- "Softcat breaks through £500m barrier". Megabuyte. 2014-11-26.
- "CRN". Channelweb.co.uk. 2012-12-19. Retrieved 2013-12-22.
- "Softcat does the Harlem Shake - 19 Mar 2013 - CRN UK News". Channelweb.co.uk. 2013-03-19. Retrieved 2013-12-22.
- "Computer Reseller News". CRN.
- "Softcat ranked 6th best workplace in 19 countries - Geoconnexion". Geoconnexion.
- "Channel Pro". Channel Pro. 2013-04-24. Retrieved 2013-12-22.
- "Comic Relief". Comic Relief. Retrieved 2013-12-22.
- "Back to the 80s for Softcat in aid of Comic Relief - 14 Mar 2013 - CRN UK News". Channelweb.co.uk. 2013-03-14. Retrieved 2013-12-22.
- "Green & Environment Programmes on TV - Green from". Channel4.com. Retrieved 2013-12-22.