National Institute of Technology, Kurukshetra
|This article relies on references to primary sources. (April 2013)|
|National Institute of Technology Kurukshetra|
|Director||Prof. Anand Mohan|
|Location||Kurukshetra, Haryana, India|
|Campus||Sub-urban, 300 acres (1.2 km2)|
|Former names||Regional Engineering College, Kurukshetra|
National Institute of Technology, Kurukshetra (or NIT Kurukshetra), is a public engineering university located in Kurukshetra. In December 2008, it was accredited with the status of Institute of National Importance (INI). It is one of the thirty National Institutes of Technology established and administered by Government of India. It runs undergraduate and postgraduate programs in Engineering and Doctor of Philosophy programme in Engineering, Sciences and Humanities.
The first Prime Minister of independent India, Jawaharlal Nehru, sought to develop India as a leader in science and technology. Between 1959 and 1965, with this vision, the Government founded 14 educational institutions in different regions of India. The system of competitive entry (based on merit) gave access to higher education in these institutions. Such an institution was established in 1963 in Kurukshetra as a joint enterprise of the Government of India and the Government of Haryana as the Regional Engineering College, Kurukshetra (REC Kurukshetra). In 2002, all the Regional Engineering Colleges were unified by a common entrance exam. Therefore, REC Kurukshetra was renamed to National Institute of Technology under the NIT Act and was given a Deemed University status.
In 2007, the university was conferred the premium status of Institute of National Importance.
Prof. Anand Mohan is the Director of National Institute of Technology (NIT), Kurukshetra. Prior to his present assignment, he was Professor of Electronics Engineering at Indian Institute of Technology(BHU)-Varanasi.
Undergraduate (Bachelor of Technology)
Before 2000, admissions were made through a regional exam of the State Government.
From 2003 to 2012, admissions were made of the basis of merit in the All India Engineering Entrance Examination. This exam consisted of three sections on Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry. Every year, more than 1,000,000 students appeared for this exam. To get admission in NIT Kurukshetra, a student must achieve the rank within the top 3% of the total candidates.
However, from the year 2013, admissions are made on the merit list of Joint Entrance Examination. This is a common examination for all the premier universities in India. Under this, and ranks are given after considering 60% of the marks scored in the test, and 40% in the class 12 Board examinations.
For foreign students, admissions are done through Direct Admission of Students Abroad (DASA) Scheme.
NIT Kurukshetra offers the following degrees under the postgraduate course:
- Master of Technology (through GATE score)
- Master of Business Administration (through CAT/JMET score, followed by Group Discussions and Personal Interview)
- Master of Computer Application (through NIMCET score)
For M.Tech. admission, seats are first filled up by admitting GATE qualified candidates and then by industry sponsored candidates. Remaining vacant seats are offered to Non-GATE candidates with a minimum of 60% marks (55% for SC candidates) in their qualifying examination. While GATE candidates are eligible for a scholarship of Rs. 8000/- per month. Non-GATE candidates are not given any scholarship.
Applications on prescribed proforma are invited for admission to Ph.D (Full – time/Part – time) programmes.
NIT Kurukshetra awards undergraduate B.Tech in various engineering fields in a four-year programme. It offers postgraduate (PG) M.Tech degrees in similar engineering fields as well as Physics. The M.Tech degree is awarded after four semesters (two years) or two semesters for relevant PG diploma holders. Ph.D. research programmes are offered in engineering, sciences, humanities & social sciences as well as computer applications. As of 2006 it also offers an MBA degree.
|Discipline||Faculty / Department||Undergraduate Programs (B.Tech.)||Postgraduate Programs (M.Tech., MBA & MCA)||Ph. D.|
|Engineering||Civil Engineering||Civil Engineering||Environmental Engineering||Yes|
|Soil Mechanics & Foundation Engineering||Yes|
|Water Resource Engineering||Yes|
|Computer Engineering||Computer Engineering||Computer Engineering||Yes|
|Information Technology||Computer Applications||Yes|
|Electrical Engineering||Electrical Engineering||Control System||Yes|
|Power Electronics & Drives||Yes|
|Electronics & communication engineering||Electronics & communication engineering||Electronics & communication engineering||Yes|
|Mechanical Engineering||Mechanical Engineering||Industrial & Production Engineering||Yes|
|Industrial Engineering & Management||Machine Design||Yes|
|Science||Chemistry||Taught as a subject||N/A||Yes|
|Mathematics||Taught as a subject||N/A||Yes|
|Physics||Taught as a subject||Instrumentation||Yes|
|Humanities & Social Science||Applied Linguistics||Taught as a subject||N/A||Yes|
|Business Management||Taught as a subject||Business Administration||Yes|
|Entrepreneurship||Taught as a subject||Taught as a subject||Yes|
|Financial Management||N/A||Taught as a subject||Yes|
|Human Resource Management||N/A||Taught as a subject||Yes|
|Industrial Economics||Taught as a subject||Taught as a subject||Yes|
|Intellectual Property Rights||N/A||Taught as a subject||Yes|
|Marketing Management||N/A||Taught as a subject||Yes|
Apart from the above disciplines, the University has the following Schools of excellence:
- School of Renewable Energy and Efficiency
- School of VLSI Design and Embedded Systems
- School of Biomedical Engineering
- School of Material Science and Nanotechnology
Being near to the capital New Delhi, NIT Kurukshetra is visited by a large number of recruiters every year. Major companies like Microsoft, Google, Amazon, Facebook, Deloitte, Epic Systems, Oracle, Ubisoft, BirlaSoft, Adobe, Yahoo!, Pangea3, HCL, Accenture, Infosys, Goldman Sachs, Hewitt Associates, Newgen Software ,Future First etc. recruit students from the institute. Some students even get foreign offers based on their performances.
With excellent placements in IT, software and corporate firms, placements in core engineering companies are also very impressive. BHEL, GS Group, ACC Limited, ITC Limited, MRF Limited, Reliance Industries, Tata, Essar Steel, PepsiCo, Nestle, Wipro, Tech Mahindra etc. frequently recruit students from the institute.
In recent years, students have been selected in the Indian Army as well to serve the nation with pride and honour.
Academic Reputation and Rankings
According to the latest JEE Main ranking criteria, NIT Kurukshetra was ranked #7 out of all NITs and #10 out of all colleges under JEE Main.
NIT Kurukshetra campus extends over an area of 300 acres imaginatively laid down on a picturesque landscape. It presents a spectacle of harmony in architecture and natural beauty. Hostels for students are located towards Eastern side of the campus in the form of cluster. Three storey buildings of hostels provide comfortable accommodation and pleasing environment to students.
Among the facilities available within the campus are:
- Computer Center (available for 24X7)
- Library (with access to International Journals)
- Central Workshop (with high-tech machine shop, welding, foundry & casting)
- State Bank of India, Post Office & Health Centre (medical consultation, diagnosis & pharmacy)
- 12 Hostels (with High speed LAN connectivity)
- Residence Society for the University Faculty
- Cafeteria & Shopping Center
- Auditorium & Open Air Theatre
- Sports Complex & Gymnasium (along with Martial Arts training facilities).
- Guest House
Additional to academic activities the NIT students are indulged in many technical,cultural and managerial events throughout the year. For Technical activities there are 5 societies associated with each branch named MICROBUS, TECHNOBYTE, ELECTRORECK, MECHSOC, INFRASTRUCTURE which organizes the events for electronics, computers, electrical, mechanical and civil branches respectively. These 5 societies along with a 6th one named Mexperts for PG students organzies technical fest Altius and techspardha each year in the college.
In addition to this there are three more technical groups named Embedded robotics club(EMR), Aeromodeling club and SAE-NITK(Society of Automotive Engineers) which are committed to organize technical events as well as technical knowledge of students in the field of Robotics, Aeromodelling and Automobile.
For cultural activities there are following clubs in the college :
- MAD(Music and Dramatics)
- Fine Arts and Modelling
- English Literature and Debate Club
- Hindi Literature and Debate Club
- Spic Macay
- AVA(Audio Visual Aid)
these clubs organizes a cultural fest named Confluence every year.
Following are the major festivals that take place at NIT Kurukshetra every year.
- Techspardha: It is the main technical festival of the institute. Various technology based activities and competitions are organized and a large of students take part in these events thus adding to its popularity.
- Confluence: It is the annual cultural event and one of the most anticipated events in North India. Many colleges from the state as well as from the other parts of the nation take part in Confluence. It is a 3 day long event and has been visited by some of the most famous artists and personalities of the county in the past few years.
- Entrepreneurship Summit
NIT Kurukshetra Alumni:
- Srini Raju, Co-founder and Chairman of Peepul Capital
- Karthik K S, Co-founder and Executive Chairman of 24x7 Learning & CEO of AVAGMAH
- R. K. Gupta, Chairman and Managing Director, WAPCOS (Govt. of India Undertaking)
- Rajeev Kapoor, CEO, Fiat India Automobile Private
- P. K. Munjal, MD, Hero Honda
- Adesh Gupta, Chairman, Liberty Shoes
- Narayanan Ramanathan, Vice President and Head, Tech Mahindra Ltd, India
- Rakesh Bakshi, Padma Shri awardee
- R. Aravindhan, Visiting Scientist, IISc
- Sanjay Dhawan, President and CEO, Symphony Service
- Biraj Adhikari, Deputy CM of Sikkim
- Ramasubramanian T.K., Writer, Professor Emeritus, TIME;
- K. K. Agarwala, Vice-Chancellor, Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University.
- Rohit Sharma, founder and CTO ONI systems (acquired by Ciena Corp.)
- V. K. Suri, Chief Director, National Co-operative Development Corporation (Govt. of India)
- Amit Singh Dahiya,CEO- Hewitt Associates,India
- Ved Pal Jangra,MD-Infosys Ltd,Chandigarh
- Deepinder Singh Kapany, Vice President & Business Head, Reliance[disambiguation needed] Retail Ltd
- Shailesh Rao, Director, New Products & Solutions, Google Enterprise, Google
- Amar Nath, IAS, Administrator of Lakshadweep
- Dilip Desai,deputy managing director -Darvsh -Dubai
- Anil Kaul,Co-founder Absolute Data
- Suresh Rai, Professor LSU-United States of America.
- Faraz Khan, Promoter, All India Sulabh Shauchalay, NOIDA
and many more in the making...
- National Institute of Technology, Agartala
- National Institute of Technology, Srinagar
- National Institute of Technology, Warangal
- "Welcome to NIT Kurukshetra". nitkkr.ac.in. Retrieved 19 October 2011.
- "B. Tech. Degree". nitkkr.ac.in. Retrieved 19 October 2011.
- "M. Tech Degree". nitkkr.ac.in. Retrieved 19 October 2011.
- "Ph. D Programmes". nitkkr.ac.in. Retrieved 19 October 2011.
- "MBA Programme". nitkkr.ac.in. Retrieved 19 October 2011.
- "THE WEEK-HANSA RESEARCH SURVEY". June 3, 2013.
- "Technical Fest".
- "Cultural Fest".
- "Entrepreneurial Fest".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to National Institute of Technology, Kurukshetra.|