North Borneo Self-government Day
North Borneo Self-government Day is a self-government day celebrated on 31 August 1963 every year by the state of Sabah in Malaysia. Only since 2012, the holiday has been received widely by the Sabah state government and the citizen of Sabah as the Merdeka Day was not the right celebration day for the state. Borneo Heritage Foundation and Sabah DAP have stated that they will be celebrating Sabah Independence Day instead of Hari Merdeka.
After the end of the World War II, the territory was administered by the British Military Administration which later transferred to the Crown Colony government in 1946 as the British North Borneo Chartered Company facing a difficulties due to the high cost to reconstructing North Borneo. The task to reconstructing the territory was later taken by the Crown colony government with the first Crown Colony Governor appointed was Edward Twining on 5 May 1949. Ralph Hone succeeded him to continue the reconstruction of the territory and later Roland Turnbull until the last Crown Colony governor of William Goode. After all the reconstruction projects been completed, the Crown Colony government later decided to grant a self-government to the territory on 31 August 1963 which is 16 days before the establishment of the Federation of Malaysia on 16 September 1963.
The proposal had been submitted to the Cabinet, aimed at preventing the people of Sabah and Sarawak from feeling isolated if the number of independence anniversaries was stated. Based on it, the country's celebration next year will only be mentioned as 'Independence Day 31 Aug' without stating the number of anniversaries.
Part of a series on the
|History of Malaysia|
- "Sabah Early History". Sabah State Government. New Sabah Times. 6 December 2007. Archived from the original on 30 May 2014. Retrieved 30 May 2014.
- "Sabah's People and History". Sabah's Heritage: A Brief Introduction to Sabah's History, Sabah Museum, Kota Kinabalu. Official Portal Of The Sabah State Government (Mobile). 1992. Archived from the original on 30 May 2014. Retrieved 31 May 2014.
- Bob Teoh (6 August 2012). "Tanah airku - My homeland - 美丽的国家". Sin Chew Daily. Archived from the original on 30 May 2014. Retrieved 31 May 2014.
- "Sabah must celebrate Independence Day on Aug 31: Jeffrey". Daily Express. 27 August 2013. Archived from the original on 30 May 2014. Retrieved 30 May 2014.
- "Sabah must assert and celebrate Independence on 31 August". The Borneo Insider. 27 August 2013. Retrieved 31 May 2014.
- Michael Kaung (27 August 2012). "Merdeka ‘no relevance’ to Sabah, Sarawak". Free Malaysia Today. Retrieved 30 May 2014.
- "Sabah, Sarawak: 50 Years in Malaysia plagued by bad politics — Joe Fernadez". The Malay Mail. 7 October 2013. Retrieved 30 May 2014.
- "Sabah DAP to celebrate 51st Sabah Independence Day". Daily Express (Sabah). 30 August 2014. Retrieved 3 November 2014.
- Frans Welman. Borneo Trilogy Volume 1: Sabah. Booksmango. pp. 159–. ISBN 978-616-245-078-5.
- "Proposal apt: Salleh". Daily Express (Sabah). 15 September 2014. Retrieved 3 November 2014.