Outline of Kenya
Lying along the Indian Ocean, at the equator, Kenya is bordered by Ethiopia (north), Somalia (northeast), Tanzania (south), Uganda plus Lake Victoria (west), and South Sudan (northwest). The capital city is Nairobi, 2nd largest in Africa (after Cairo). Kenya spans an area about 85% the size of France or Texas. The population has grown rapidly in recent decades to roughly 38 million. Kenya has numerous wildlife reserves, containing thousands of animal species.
The country is named after Mount Kenya, a significant landmark and the second among the highest mountain peaks of Africa, and both were originally usually pronounced // in English, though the native pronunciation and the one intended by the original transcription Kenia was [ˈkɛnja]. During the presidency of Jomo Kenyatta in the 1960s, the current English pronunciation of // became widespread because his name retained the native pronunciation. Before 1920, the area now known as Kenya was known as the British East Africa Protectorate and so there was no need to mention mount when referring to the mountain.
The following outline is provided as an overview of and topical guide to Kenya:
- 1 General reference
- 2 Geography of Kenya
- 3 Government and politics of Kenya
- 3.1 Branches of the government of Kenya
- 3.2 Foreign relations of Kenya
- 3.3 Law and order in Kenya
- 3.4 Military of Kenya
- 3.5 Local government in Kenya
- 4 History of Kenya
- 5 Culture of Kenya
- 6 Economy and infrastructure of Kenya
- 7 Education in Kenya
- 8 Health in Kenya
- 9 See also
- 10 References
- 11 External links
- Common English country name: Kenya
- Official English country name: The Republic of Kenya
- Common endonym(s):
- Official endonym(s):
- Adjectival(s): Kenyan
- Etymology: Name of Kenya
- International rankings of Kenya
- ISO country codes: KE, KEN, 404
- ISO region codes: See ISO 3166-2:KE
- Internet country code top-level domain: .ke
Geography of Kenya
- Kenya is: a country
- Coastline: Indian Ocean 536 km
- Population of Kenya: 37,538,000 - 34th most populous country
- Area of Kenya: 580,367 km2
- Atlas of Kenya
Environment of Kenya
- Climate of Kenya
- Ecology of Kenya
- Geology of Kenya
- Protected areas of Kenya
- Wildlife of Kenya
Natural geographic features of Kenya
- Glaciers of Kenya
- Islands of Kenya
- Lakes of Kenya
- Mountains of Kenya
- Rivers of Kenya
- Valleys of Kenya
- World Heritage Sites in Kenya
Regions of Kenya
Ecoregions of Kenya
Administrative divisions of Kenya
Counties of Kenya
Kenya is divided into 47 Counties
|Code||County||Former Province||Area (km2)||Population
|20||Kirinyaga||Central||1,205.4||528,054||Kerugoya / Kutus|
|24||West Pokot||Rift Valley||8,418.2||512,690||Kapenguria|
|26||Trans Nzoia||Rift Valley||2,469.9||818,757||Kitale|
|27||Uasin Gishu||Rift Valley||2,955.3||894,179||Eldoret|
|43||Homa Bay||Nyanza||3,154.7||963,794||Homa Bay|
Municipalities of Kenya
Some smaller towns:
Demography of Kenya
Government and politics of Kenya
Branches of the government of Kenya
Executive arm of the government of Kenya
Legislative branch of the government of Kenya
Judicial branch of the government of Kenya
Foreign relations of Kenya
International organization membership
Kenya is a member of: The Republic of Kenya is a member of:
Law and order in Kenya
- Constitution of Kenya
- Crime in Kenya
- Human rights in Kenya
- Law enforcement in Kenya
Military of Kenya
- Military history of Kenya
- Military ranks of Kenya
Local government in Kenya
History of Kenya
Culture of Kenya
- Architecture of Kenya
- Cuisine of Kenya
- Festivals in Kenya
- Languages of Kenya
- Media in Kenya
- National symbols of Kenya
- People of Kenya
- Prostitution in Kenya
- Public holidays in Kenya
- Records of Kenya
- Religion in Kenya
- World Heritage Sites in Kenya
The arts in Kenya
- Art in Kenya
- Cinema of Kenya
- Literature of Kenya
- Music of Kenya
- Television in Kenya
- Theatre in Kenya
Sports in Kenya
Economy and infrastructure of Kenya
- Economic rank, by nominal GDP (2007): 81st (eighty-first)
- Agriculture in Kenya
- Banking in Kenya
- Communications in Kenya
- Companies of Kenya
- Energy in Kenya
- Health care in Kenya
- Mining in Kenya
- Kenya Stock Exchange
- Tourism in Kenya
- Transport in Kenya
- List of airlines in Kenya
- Water supply and sanitation in Kenya
Education in Kenya
Health in Kenya
|Swahili language edition of Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia|
- Index of Kenya-related articles
- List of international rankings
- List of Kenya-related topics
- Member state of the Commonwealth of Nations
- Member state of the United Nations
- Outline of Africa
- Outline of geography
- Reuter. "British East Africa Annexed--"Kenya Colony"" (News). The Times (London). Thursday, July 8, 1920. (42457), col C, p. 13.
- "East Africa: Kenya: History: Kenya Colony". Encyclopædia Britannica 17 (15 ed.). 2002. pp. 801, 1b. ISBN 0-85229-787-4.
- "Kenya". Oxford English Dictionary (3rd ed.). Oxford University Press. September 2005.
- The Spelling of Kenya. B. J. Ratcliffe. Journal of the Royal African Society, Vol. 42, No. 166 (Jan., 1943), pp. 42-44
- Foottit, Claire (2006) . Kenya. The Brade Travel Guide. Bradt Travel Guides Ltd. ISBN 1-84162-066-1.
- "Kenya". The World Factbook. United States Central Intelligence Agency. July 3, 2009. Retrieved July 23, 2009.
|Find more about Kenya at Wikipedia's sister projects|
|Definitions and translations from Wiktionary|
|Media from Commons|
|Quotations from Wikiquote|
|Source texts from Wikisource|
|Textbooks from Wikibooks|
|Learning resources from Wikiversity|
- Government Spokesperson Office of the Government Spokesperson of the Republic of Kenya.
- Government of Kenya Official site.
- Kenya Law Reports Kenyan Legislation, Case Law, Official Gazette Notices and legal Info.
- State House Kenya Official site State House, Kenya.
- Central Bank of Kenya Currency exchange rates official site.
- Kenya Investment Authority Provides information on investing.
- Kenya Airways Main Kenyan airline.
- Kenya Airports Authority Information on Kenyan Airports.
- Kenya Ports Authority Information on Kenyan seaports.
- Administration Police Administration Police Force
- Kenya Police Force Kenya Police Force.
- Kenya Wildlife Services Agency that conserves, protects and manages Kenya's diverse wildlife and parks.
- Kenya Tourist Board Promotes and Markets Kenya as a tourist destination both locally and internationally.
- Kenya Film Commission (Filming Kenya) Official guide to filming in Kenya.
- Kenya Broadcasting Corporation State run media organization
- Daily Nation Online Local independent newspaper
- Business Daily Africa Kenya's Financial Daily
- The East African Authoritative Weekly
- East African Business Week Business News for Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda and Burundi
- The Standard Online Local independent newspaper
- allAfrica.com - Kenya news headlines
- IRIN Kenya humanitarian news and analysis
- Kimaiyo, Towett J. (2004). Ogiek Land Cases and Historical Injustices — 1902–2004. Nakuru, Kenya: Ogiek Welfare Council. pp. 127 pages + appendices. Archived from the original on 2007-10-29. (Full text of book at link.)
- "Who Owns Kenya? — What is the Queen Doing in Parliament?". March 31, 2007. Archived from the original on 2008-03-18.
- Rural poverty in Kenya (IFAD)
- Kenyan View A photographic approach to Kenya's beauty.
- "Country profile: Kenya". BBC News. 2008-04-18. Retrieved 2008-08-05.
- Encyclopædia Britannica, Kenya - Country Page
- CIA World Factbook - Kenya
- US State Department - Kenya includes Background Notes, Country Study and major reports
- Guardian (UK) Special Report Recent reports and
- Columbia University Libraries - Kenya directory category of the WWW-VL
- Open Directory Project - Kenya directory category
- Stanford University - Africa South of the Sahara: Kenya directory category
- East African Web Directory Kenya Web sites
- myafricatoday.blogspot.com current news, events and statistics
- Free Kenyan Law Resource - Kenya All the statutory laws of Kenya
- Information on Kenyans, their culture and traditions
- Solar cooking history and recent developments in Kenya
- Travel & Tourism
- Kenya Tourist Board (Magical Kenya) Official travel and tourism guide.
- Outline of Kenya travel guide from Wikivoyage
- The Rough Guide to Kenya Travel guide blog
- Kenya Photos
- 1911 Encyclopædia Britannica on the Kenya Colony
- 1911 Encyclopædia Britannica on the 1908 Demarcation of the Ethiopian-Kenyan Border