Purchase, New York
|Purchase, New York|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2009)|
Purchase, New York is a hamlet of the town of Harrison, in Westchester County. Its ZIP code is 10577. Its name is derived from Harrison's purchase, for Harrison could have as much land as he could ride in one day. Purchase is home to State University of New York at Purchase, Manhattanville College and the Westchester County Airport.
In 1967, 200 residents stated support for a plan to incorporate Purchase so corporations could not build in the community. In response, officials from the Town of Harrison put forward plans to try to become a city in an attempt to stop Purchase from seceding from the Town of Harrison.
There are many historic sites located in Purchase. The grave of Revolutionary War General Thomas Thomas is located on the grounds of SUNY-Purchase. The grounds that SUNY-Purchase now occupies was once Strathglass Farms, a dairy farm. The Quaker Friends Meeting house was founded in the 18th century. The original building fell victim to fire years ago and the present one is an accurate reconstruction. Before the headquarters of Pepsi was built, the Blind Brook Polo Club was located on that site. Amelia Earhart would fly her plane from the polo grounds. Many colonial era homes and unspoiled natural woodlands have decreased in the last 30 years due to residential development. The Old Oaks Country Club, originally named 'Hill Crest', is a splendid mansion house built in the late 1880s by millionaire Trenor Luther Park and his wife Julia Catlin Park. Trenor Luther was a Harvard Graduate, who studied law, and a silk merchant. His father, Trenor William Park, funded the Panama Railway, ran for Vice President of the United States in 1864 and was involved with the California Gold Mines.
As much of Westchester, Purchase is well known as an affluent area in Westchester. It is one of the richest areas in the country. Because of the exclusive environment many celebrities are attracted to this prestigious area.
Economy and business
MasterCard's headquarters, MasterCard International Global Headquarters, are in Purchase. In addition PepsiCo has its headquarters in Purchase. The headquarters of Atlas Air and subsidiary Polar Air Cargo are in Purchase. Pernod Ricard has offices in Purchase.
Purchase is known for the Purchase Community House (PCH), home of the Purchase Day Camp (PDC). It also runs after-school activities during the rest of the year. On the PCH property, there are four pools and numerous playing fields.
Media and culture
During the 1980s, the city hosted the festival Pepsico Summerfare, known for their opera productions which included Benjamin Britten's Noye's Fludde (1981–4), David Eaton's The Cry of Clytaemnestra (1982), and Peter Sellars's Little Mahagonny/Cantata 60: Conversations with Fear and Hope After Death (1985), Peter Sellars's productions of Mozart's Così fan tutte (1986), Don Giovanni (1987) and Le nozze di Figaro (1988). Now, SUNY produces two operas each year.
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (September 2011)|
- Eddy Curry
- James Badge Dale
- Mariano Rivera
- Isiah Thomas
- Joe Girardi
- Stephon Marbury
- Herman Tarnower, cardiologist, murdered by his jilted lover, Jean Harris
- Scott Shannon, radio disc jockey
- Scott Boras
- Sy Sternberg
- Sunny Hostin, legal analyst (media)
- "200 Residents Back Plan to Incorporate Village of Purchase". The New York Times. April 4, 1967. Retrieved on February 2, 2011.
- Folsom, Merrill. "HARRISON MOVING TO BECOME A CITY; Town Acts to Thwart Effort by Purchase to Secede and Form Own Village". The New York Times. May 20, 1967. Page 37. Retrieved on February 2, 2011.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2009-03-13.
- "Contact Us". MasterCard. Retrieved on February 2, 2011. "MasterCard Advisors 2000 Purchase Street Purchase, NY 10577".
- "Harrison town, New York". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on January 18, 2010.
- "10577 5-Digit ZCTA, 105 3-Digit ZCTA". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on June 8, 2010.
- "Our 10 Most Beautiful Buildings". Westchester Magazine. November 17, 2010. Retrieved on February 1, 2011.
- "Investor Information". Atlas Air. Retrieved on August 6, 2011. "AAWW Investor Relations 2000 Westchester Avenue Purchase, NY 10577-2543"
- "Contact Us". Polar Air Cargo. Retrieved on February 13, 2011. "Atlas Air / Polar Air Cargo - Headquarters 2000 Westchester Avenue Purchase, NY 10577 USA"
- Pernod Ricard USA - Locations
- Hogan, Patrick. "Lenovo shifting U.S. headquarters to Morrisville, but will cut 300-350 Triangle jobs." Triangle Business Journal. Thursday March 16, 2006. Updated Friday March 17, 2006. p.1. Retrieved on October 12, 2012.
- "Home". Harrisoncsd.org. Retrieved 2013-07-13.
- Purchase Community House and Day Camp
- . "Purchase", Grove Music Online, ed. L. Macy (accessed August 24 2013), grovemusic.com (subscription access).
- "Chicago Sports News, Schedules & Scores - chicagotribune.com". Chicagosports.chicagotribune.com. Retrieved 2013-07-13.
- http://www.purchasehouse.com/ Purchase Community House and Day Camp Official Website