|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2012)|
Hindi: ज्ञानात् परतर न हि
("knowledge has no comparison")
|North Campus, University Enclave, Delhi|
|Founder||Rai Kedar Nath|
|Principal||Dr. Rajendra Prasad|
|Affiliations||University of Delhi|
Ramjas College is a constituent college of the University of Delhi located in north campus Delhi, India. It is one of first three colleges established under DU.It is one of the premier institutes in the country. The college is at the top list of students preference for higher education in India. The college admits both undergraduates and post-graduates, and awards degrees under the purview of the University. Famous for its rich history and many traditions, Ramjas is widely renowned as one of the most famous higher educational institutions in India offering degrees in the liberal arts, the sciences as well as commerce.
Students and alumni of the college are termed Ramjasite. (While the term Ramjasian has also often been used by outsiders, it is technically incorrect in terms of language formation rules.)
The college has steadily climbed all India rankings. For 2013-2014 session, the college was ranked #1 in Science, #4 in Humanities and #15 in Commerce in terms of factual ranking on an all India level.
Ramjas is one of the premier founding colleges of Delhi University. It was one of the 3 colleges which established Delhi University,the other two being St.Stephens college and Hindu college. Ramjas is a co-educational institution of higher learning located in University Enclave on the University of Delhi's 'North' campus. In spite of its location in North India, the college has always striven to admit students and select teachers from all communities and from all parts of India. It also admits students from overseas.
Along with Undergraduate courses and Postgraduate courses, the college also conducts Short-term Add-On courses and Language courses. The college is run by the Ramjas Foundation.
The college provides hostel facility with eighty seats for girls and one hundred twenty seats for boys.
Founded in 1917 by the great educationist and philanthropist, Rai Kedar Nath, Ramjas College is one of the oldest colleges of Delhi. Beginning from the humble precincts of Darya Ganj in Old Delhi, the College today boasts of a spacious campus, state-of-the-art infrastructure and an esteemed faculty of scholars trained at leading universities in India and abroad. The college was named in memory of Lala Ramjas, father of Rai Kedar Nath, the founder of the college. In its starting days, the college was run by the Ramjas Foundation (an educational foundation that runs schools and educational institutions in Delhi) but after the establishment of Delhi University, the college was brought under government control. The Ramjas Foundation still looks over the administrative works of the college.
When University of Delhi was shifted to its present location in 1950, there were three colleges to be first established and brought under the University St. Stephen's College, Ramjas College and Hindu College. Ramjas College has since been a humble part of the University producing academicians, politicians, directors, actors and people in the field of media.
Active participation in politics has always been one of the primary interests of Ramjas students. Back in the days of the Quit India Movement (1942) a group of Ramjas students went ahead and joined the freedom struggle which resulted in them being arrested and jailed. A plaque with their names inscribed on it has been put up near the college auditorium gate in memory of the brave students. Since the days of Indian independence struggle, the college has been a forum of discussion of national level politics. Delhi being the national capital and the hub of national politics, the college has given the nation and the state of Delhi, good leaders and politicians. The college has a students' union- Ramjas College Students' Union whose President and members are elected by the students. The Union takes care of demands and interests of the students and also organizes the college events.
The College has modern facilities backed by the latest in technology, making it an excellent institute for learning and research. The College has an air-conditioned auditorium that has hosted renowned performers from all over India, and a state-of-the-art Seminar Room with advanced multi-media facilities. An attractive cafeteria, renovated classrooms and departments with individual computers and LCD projectors add to the overall charm of life in Ramjas.
The over 100,000 titles in the library are all bar-coded. Books are issued matching bar coded student ID Cards and titles of their choice. Availability of titles can be checked on computers available in the library.
- Prakash Jha, film director (Dil Kya Kare, Gangaajal, Rajniti), satyagraha
- Manoj Bajpai, Bollywood actor (Satya, Aks, Pinjar, Gangs of Wasseypur,1971 etc.)
- Shekhar Suman, Bollywood actor & TV personality
- Pravesh Rana, Big Boss Season 3 Finalist and Mr India 2008
- Chaudhary Brahm Prakash, Delhi's 1st Chief Minister
- Sarup Singh academic, Governor of Gujarat and Kerala.
- Rajat Sharma, TV presenter, News Editor & Co-founder, India TV
- Kulbhushan Kharbanda, Bollywood actor
- Manish Jha, film director, Cannes Jury award winner (Anwar, Matrubhoomi)
- Rahul Roy, actor and documentary filmmaker
- Praveen Kumar, documentary filmmaker
- Somnath Bharti, Delhi Law Minister
- Nivedita Tiwari, TV Actress
- Kahlil Joseph, American TV Actress
- Raj Kumar Gupta, Film Director(No One Killed Jessica, Aamir)
- Vikas Bahl, Bollywood Director and Producer (Queen,Cillar Party)
- Y.k. Sabharwal, chief justice of India.
- A.P. Shah, Indian judge
- Ashok Saikia, additional secretary of the prime minister of India
- V.P. Swahaney, Indian Bureaucrat
- Sushant Kumar, A prominent Chartered Accountant 
- Humanities :- BA (PROGRAM)in [English,Economics,Hindi,History,Mathematics,Philosophy,Political Science and Sanskrit]. B.A.(Honours) in English, Hindi, Sanskrit, Economics, History, Political Science, Music, and Mathematics
- Science :- The college provides B.Sc.(Honours) in Life Sciences, Chemistry, Physics program, Zoology, Botany, Mathematics, and Statistics
- Commerce :- B.Com.(program) and B.Com.(Honours) courses are also offered by Ramjas college.
- M.A. in the postgraduate school is offered in English, Hindi, Sanskrit, History, Political Science, Economics, Mathematics, Philosophy, Statistics, Operational Research, and Music.
- M.S. is offered in Physics, Chemistry, Zoology, Botany, Mathematics, Statistics, and Operational Research.
- Master of Commerce M.Com
Apart from regular courses, the college also provides short term add-on courses and language courses to cater the specialized needs of students.
- "Ramjas Foundation, Delhi [Education Schools/Colleges, Adventure Activities, Day Boarding Schools]". Ramjasfoundation.com. Retrieved 2011-09-20.
- Management college in Delhi - IITM
- "DU still feels like home: Parvesh Rana". The Times Of India. 6 March 2010.
- "Pride of Haryana". The Tribune. April 29, 2007.