Lady Shri Ram College for Women
|Lady Shri Ram College for Women|
|Motto||Sã vidyã yã vimuktaye
"That alone is knowledge which leads to liberation"
|Principal||Dr. Meenakshi Gopinath|
Lajpat Nagar IVNew Delhi-110024
|Affiliations||University of Delhi|
History and evolution
Established in 1956 in New Delhi by the late Lala Shri Ram in memory of his wife Phoolan Devi (Lady Shri Ram), the college had its modest beginnings in a school building in Daryaganj, Central Delhi with 243 students, 9 faculty, 4 support staff and 3 distinct courses of study. Today, the college, located in a 15-acre (61,000 m2) campus in Lajpat Nagar in South Delhi, has approximately 2000 students, over 150 faculty, administrative and support staff and 16 courses of study. LSR's infrastructure includes a newly refurbished, computerized user-friendly library with internet access 1,20,000 books, 5000 online journals & 127 in house journals & periodicals. It is guided by a Board of Governors, drawn from the fields of industry, law, journalism, academics and the bureaucracy, under the Chairmanship of industrialist and philanthropist, Dr. Bharat Ram.
- B.A.(H): Economics, English, Hindi, History, Philosophy, Political Science, Sanskrit, Sociology, Psychology.
- BSc.(H): Mathematics, Statistics.
- Postgraduate Diploma in Conflict Transformation and Peacebuilding (CTPB)
- Journalism and Mass Communication (H)
Tarang is the annual cultural festival of Lady Shri Ram College. Tarang is known for bringing together the best student talent from across the country in fields of music, dance, dramatics, debating, fine arts, quiz, films.
- Aung San Suu Kyi, Pro-democracy activist and leader of the National League for Democracy in Burma, Nobel Peace Prize laureate
- Anjali Gopalan,Nobel Peace Prize Nominee and hounoured with Chevalier de la Legion d'Honneur,Founder of Naz Foundation (India) Trust
- Sujatha Singh, Indian Foreign Secretary
- Chhavi Rajawat, Sarpanch of village Soda
- Maneka Sanjay Gandhi
- Anupriya Patel, MLA Uttar Pradesh
- Shweta Rajpal Kohli, Economic Affairs Editor NDTV 24x7
- Kiran Walia, Ex-MLA, Ex-Minister of Health and Family welfare Department, Women & Child Development and languages, Delhi Govt.
- Poile Sengupta, One of the foremost Indian writers in English
- Uma Sharma, Kathak dancer
- Naina Lal Kidwai, Chief Executive Officer, HSBC India
- Vinita Bali, Managing Director, Britannia Industries
- Gita Chandran, Padma Shri Awarded Bharata Natayam Dancer
- Usha Thorat, Deputy Governor, Reserve Bank of India
- Anasuya Sengupta, Senior Director of Grantmaking, Wikimedia Foundation
- Sushma Berlia, First female to head an Apex chamber of commerce
- Shikha Sharma, CEO Axis Bank India
- Niharika Acharya, Editorial Director, National Journal
- Vanashree Rao, Padma Shri, Kuchipudi dancer
- Sakshi Tanwar, Popular Television actress
- Jaishree Misra, Popular fiction author
- Chitra Subramaniam, India's First Woman Investigative Journalist.
- Nabila Jamshed, Author
- Meenakshi Reddy Madhavan, Author
- Aditi Rao Hydari, Bollywood Actress
- Shriya Saran, Tollywood Actress
- Nidhi Razdan, NDTV Anchor
- Gauri Khan, Film Producer, Interior Designer