|Born||2 April 1910
|Died||25 February 1945
|Allegiance|| Weimar Republic (to 1933)
|Years of service||1928–45|
II./Grenadier-Regiment 405Grenadier-Regiment 408
|Awards||German Cross in Gold|
Richard Bochentin (2 April 1910 – 25 February 1945) was a highly decorated Oberst in the Wehrmacht during World War II. He was also a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership.
Having entered the Reichswehr in 1928 he began the war as Hauptfeldwebel of the 3rd company in the Infanterie Regiment 22 but was commissioned Oberleutnant and placed in command of the 10th company of the same regiment in time for the Battle of France. Among the company commanders of the regiment in that period were several future Knight's Cross recipients and senior officers such as Theodor Tolsdorff. Since February 1942 in acting command of a battalion Bochentin was formally instated as commanding officer of the 2nd battalion of Grenadier Regiment 405 in December of that year. In this function he earned the Knight's cross for bravely leading the assault on a hill held by superior numbers of Soviet troops during the winter of 1943/44. Richard Bochentin was killed in action on 25 February 1945 in the Courland Pocket as Oberst and commanding officer of Grenadier Regiment 408.
Awards and decorations
- Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class (3 August 1940)
- 1st Class (8 July 1941)
- Wound Badge (1939)
- in Black (21 August 1941)
- Infantry Assault Badge (8 January 1942)
- German Cross in Gold (14 September 1943)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 12 February 1944 as Major and commander of II. / Grenadier-Regiment 405 
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 116.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939–1945 – Die Inhaber der höchsten Auszeichnung des Zweiten Weltkrieges aller Wehrmachtteile [The Bearers of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939–1945 — The Owners of the Highest Award of the Second World War of all Wehrmacht Branches] (in German). Friedberg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 978-3-7909-0284-6.
- Patzwall, Klaus D.; Scherzer, Veit (2001). Das Deutsche Kreuz 1941 – 1945 Geschichte und Inhaber Band II [The German Cross 1941 – 1945 History and Recipients Volume 2] (in German). Norderstedt, Germany: Verlag Klaus D. Patzwall. ISBN 978-3-931533-45-8.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.