- Not to be confused with hockey player Shean Donovan.
|Director of the Office of Management and Budget|
August 5, 2014
|Preceded by||Brian Deese (Acting)|
|15th United States Secretary of Housing and Urban Development|
January 26, 2009 – July 28, 2014
Helen Kanovsky (Acting)
|Preceded by||Steve Preston|
|Succeeded by||Julian Castro|
January 24, 1966 |
New York City, New York, U.S.
|Alma mater||Harvard University|
Shaun L. S. Donovan (born January 24, 1966) is an American politician who serves as the Director of the Office of Management and Budget. Donovan is also the former United States Secretary of Housing and Urban Development, serving from 2009 to 2014. Prior to this he headed the New York City Department of Housing Preservation and Development. On December 13, 2008, in his weekly national radio address, President-elect Barack Obama announced that he would appoint Donovan to his cabinet. He was confirmed by the U.S. Senate through unanimous consent on January 22, 2009 and sworn-in on January 26. On July 28, 2014 he was succeeded as Secretary by Julian Castro, former Mayor of San Antonio. On July 10, 2014 he was confirmed to be the next Director of the Office of Management and Budget. He was ceremoniously sworn in by Vice President Joe Biden on August 5, 2014.
Early life and education
Born in New York, Donovan earned undergraduate and graduate degrees from Harvard University, receiving his bachelor's in 1987, and earning a Master of Public Administration from the John F. Kennedy School of Government and a Master of Architecture from the Graduate School of Design in 1995.
During the Clinton administration and the transition to the Bush administration, Donovan was Deputy Assistant Secretary for Multifamily Housing at HUD, and was acting FHA commissioner. He became Commissioner of the New York City Department of Housing Preservation and Development in 2004.
Secretary of Housing and Urban Development under Obama
For President Obama's State of the Union addresses in 2010, Donovan served as the designated survivor.
Director of the Office of Management and Budget under Obama
On May 22, 2014 President Obama nominated Donovan to be the next director of the Office of Management and Budget. On July 10, 2014 he was confirmed by the United States Senate by a vote of 75-22. He was ceremoniously sworn in by Vice President Joe Biden on August 5, 2014.
- "Shaun Donovan". The New York Times. December 13, 2008. Retrieved December 12, 2008.
- "Secretary of Housing and Urban Development announced in Weekly Address". change.gov. December 13, 2008. Retrieved December 14, 2008.
- Phillips, Kate (2009-01-22). "More Obama Cabinet Nominees Confirmed". The New York Times. Retrieved 2009-01-23.
- Staff (2009-01-29). "Shaun Donovan Secretary U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development". Department of Housing and Urban Development. Retrieved 009-01-30. "On January 26, 2009, Shaun Donovan was sworn in as the 15th United States Secretary for Housing and Urban Development." Check date values in:
- Joe Biden Swears in Shaun Donovan. Mark Wilson. August 4, 2014.
- "GSD Alumni and Friends News Archive". Harvard Graduate School of Design. March 2010. Retrieved May 30, 2011.
- Calmes, Jackie (December 13, 2008). "New York Housing Chief Picked for Slot in Cabinet". The New York Times. Retrieved December 12, 2008.
- "Biography of Commissioner Shaun Donovan". NYC Department of Housing Preservation & Development. Archived from the original on June 28, 2008. Retrieved December 12, 2008.
- HUDNo.09-014/U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). Portal.hud.gov (2009-12-31). Retrieved on 2013-08-12.
- Superville, Darlene. "White House: Obama to Add Julian Castro to Cabinet". Retrieved 23 May 2014.
- "U.S. Senate Roll Call Votes 113th Congress - 2nd Session". Vote Summary: Vote Number 221. United States Senate. 10 July 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Shaun Donovan.|
- Biography at the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development
- Shaun Donovan collected news and commentary at The Washington Post
- Appearances on C-SPAN
- Shaun Donovan collected news and commentary at The New York Times
- Works by or about Shaun Donovan in libraries (WorldCat catalog)
|United States Secretary of Housing and Urban Development
|Director of the Office of Management and Budget