Screenshot of Softimage|3D 3.9.2
|Stable release||4.0 / August 2001|
|Operating system||Windows, IRIX|
|Type||3D computer graphics|
Softimage|3D was a high-end 3D graphics application developed by Softimage, Co., which was used predominantly in the film, gaming and advertising industries for the production of 3D animation. It has been superseded by Softimage XSI.
Softimage|3D was originally released at Siggraph in 1988 as the Softimage Creative Environment. Softimage was used by Industrial Light and Magic to animate the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park, by Cyan to create the adventure game Riven. In 1994, Microsoft acquired the Softimage Corporation and renamed the package Softimage|3D, releasing a MS Windows NT port two years later. In 1996, Microsoft began offering Softimage|3D Extreme 3.5, which included particle effects and the mental ray renderer. 3D paint functionality was added a year later in version 3.7.
Softimage|3D was gradually replaced by the company's next product, Softimage XSI starting in 2000. The last version of Sofimage|3D was version 4.0, released in 2002 at its lowest price ever. See Softimage, Co. for detailed time line.
The Softimage|3D features are divided between five modules: Model, Motion, Actor, Matter and Tools.
- 16 years, Softimage, archived from the original on 2002-10-15.
- "Frequently Asked Questions", Myst and Riven Illustrated.
- "An Acquisition by Microsoft", The New York Times, 1994-02-15.
- 3D (press release), Microsoft, 1996‐1 .
- Microsoft Introduces Major Upgrade to Softimage 3D (press release), Microsoft, May 16, 1996.
- Softimage 3D Version 3.7 for Windows NT and IRIX Platforms Now Shipping (press release), Microsoft, April 7, 1997
- "Softimage Co. Announces First Customer Shipment of SOFTIMAGE/XSI Version 1.0; Softimage Grants 17,000 Licenses of Next-Generation 3-D Animation Software", Business Wire (Find articles), 2000-05-30.
- Softimage slashes 3D price, UK: Broadcast now
- George Borshukov. "Manix Shines in "The Matrix"".
- "Softimage 3D Used in All Three Motion Pictures Nominated for Achievement in Visual Effects". press release (Microsoft). February 11, 1997.
- Softimage Used by Game Developers to Create Award-Winning Games (press release), Microsoft, April 28, 1997.
- On Powerful Wings, Imagination Soars (PDF) (brochure), Microsoft, 1996.
- Softimage (official website).
- Softimage – 3D Interactive Interface (tutorial), Erimez.
- Softimage (user's site and archive), USA: UIUC.
- Softimage – 3D Tutorials, DE: Uni Düßeldorf.
- 3D tutorials, Ed Harriss.
- Birn, Jeremy, 3D tutorials, 3D render.
- "3-D Animation Blossoms on NT", Byte.
- Carlson, "Lesson 8", A Critical History of Computer Graphics and Animation, USA: OSU.