The Delphian School
|The Delphian School|
|20950 SW Rock Creek Road
Sheridan, Oregon, Yamhill County, 97378
|School district||Delphi Schools|
|Color(s)||Green and white|
|Athletics conference||OSAA Tri-River Conference 2A-3|
|Accreditation(s)||PNAIS Accredited Member|
The Delphian School is a K-12 private school in unincorporated Yamhill County, Oregon, near Sheridan. It is operated by Delphi Schools using L. Ron Hubbard's study techniques as published by Heron Books. The Study Tech teaching methodology is licensed through the Scientology-related group Applied Scholastics. The school building houses the offices of Delphi Schools and Heron Books. Delphian is located in a rural area.
The grounds of the school were formerly a Jesuit novitiate, and in 1976, The Delphian School was established at the site. Tuition at the school was $4,500 for boarding students and $2,800 for non-boarders in 1978. In the 1980s the campus was a candidate for the location of a federal prison, with the Federal Correctional Institution - Sheridan later built elsewhere in the Sheridan area.
The Delphian School in Oregon offers preschool, primary, and secondary education. The school is a boarding school and most students board, either full-time or five-day (going home for the weekends). The school also accepts day students; boarders must be at least eight years old, while day students can be as young as five. The main building on campus is a four-story, Art Deco style building with a brick exterior. Designed by Poole & Mcgonigle, it was built in 1933 for the Jesuit house.
Delphian School is a member of the Oregon Federation of Independent Schools and an Accredited Member of the Pacific Northwest Association of Independent Schools.
- "Oregon School Directory 2008-09". Oregon Department of Education. p. 139. Retrieved 2009-05-28.
- "Sheridan city, Oregon." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on December 27, 2010.
- "Contact Us." The Delphian School. Retrieved on December 27, 2010. "Delphian School 20950 SW Rock Creek Road Sheridan, Oregon 97378"
- "About Delphi Schools, Inc." The Delphian School. Retrieved on December 27, 2010. "Delphian School 20950 SW Rock Creek Road Sheridan, Oregon 97378."
- "How to Contact Us." Heron Books. Retrieved on December 27, 2010. "Postal Address: Heron Books 20750 SW Rock Creek Road Sheridan, OR 97378 USA
- Wright, Lawrence. "The Apostate." The New Yorker. February 14, 2011. 11. Retrieved on May 10, 2011.
- Friedman, Ralph (1990). In Search of Western Oregon. Caxton Press. p. 175. ISBN 978-0-87004-332-1.
- Associated Press (January 3, 1978). "Delphian School sets sights high". Register-Guard. pp. 3B. Retrieved 2009-08-26.
- "Delphian School inspected". Register-Guard. November 2, 1984. pp. 5A. Retrieved 2009-08-26.
- http://www.delphian.org/campuslife-home.aspx accessed 2006-10-22
- "St Francis Xavier Novitiate". Oregon Historic Sites Database. Oregon Parks and Recreation Department. Retrieved 2009-08-29.