The Gadsden Times
The Gadsden Times, September 2, 2008
|Owner(s)||Halifax Media Group|
|Headquarters||401 Locust Street
Gadsden, Alabama 35902
The Times is owned by Halifax Media Group. Before that, the newspaper was a member of the New York Times Regional Media Group, a subsidiary of the New York Times Company, through the corporate entity of NYT Holdings, Inc., an Alabama corporation. The New York Times Company acquired the Times in 1985 from the Public Welfare Foundation, a charitable entity. The Times had been donated to that foundation by its owner Edward Marsh, along with other newspapers he owned, before his death in 1964.
The Times has received several awards over the years from area journalistic groups, such as the Alabama Press Association, the Alabama Sports Writers Association, and the Alabama Associated Press Managing Editors.
The Times website provides local news coverage, as well as local forum and lifestyle pages. In addition to its editorial offices in Gadsden, the Times maintains a state capital bureau in Montgomery.
- Halifax Media purchases 16 newspapers
- Columbia Journalism Review Resources: Who Owns What
- New York Times Company, Securities and Exchange Commission 2007 Form 10K, February 26, 2008, p. 104
- "Times Co. In Pact for 3 Dailies," The New York Times, January 15, 1985, p. D21
- PR Newswire, January 14, 1985
- New York Times Company Business Units
- Alabama Press Association: 2008 Ratesheet
- "Alabama APME Contest Winners," Mobile Press-Register, May 4, 2008, p. B2
- "News Wins Awards," The Birmingham News, June 26, 2000, p. 1D
- "The News Wins Award for Child Abuse Series," The Birmingham News, May 18, 1997, p. 16A
- The Gadsden Times: Staff Listing
|This article about an Alabama newspaper is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|