|Owner(s)||Journal Media Group|
|Headquarters||101 Cypress Street
Abilene, TX 79601
Abilene Reporter-News is a daily newspaper based in Abilene, Texas, US. The newspaper started publishing as the weekly Abilene Reporter, helmed by Charles Edwin Gilbert on June 17, 1881, just three months after Abilene was founded. It is hence the oldest continuous business in the city. It became a daily newspaper in 1885.
Two months after starting the paper, a fire destroyed several buildings in Abilene, including Gilbert's office. He rode the train 21 miles east to Baird and used a borrowed printing press to produce an extra edition on the fire. Two other Abilene papers began publication in the 1880s.
In 1937, the company merged its morning paper, the Morning News, with the afternoon Daily Reporter to form the Abilene Reporter-News. The newspaper published morning and evening editions into the 1950s.
- 120 Years in Abilene
- Texas Historical Commission, historical marker, Abilene, Texas
- Abilene Reporter News: About Us, accessed January 24, 2007.
- Kincaid, Naomi Hatton. "Abilene Reporter-News". Handbook of Texas Online. Retrieved 2012-07-05.
- http://articles.latimes.com/1997-05-20/business/fi-60697_1_e-w-scripps Scripps to Acquire Harte-Hanks Outlets
- Gores, Paul (1 April 2015). "Journal, Scripps merger creates two closely aligned media companies". Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel. Retrieved 3 April 2015.
|This article about a Texas newspaper is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|