Wyoming County, West Virginia
|Wyoming County, West Virginia|
Location in the state of West Virginia
West Virginia's location in the U.S.
|• Total||502 sq mi (1,300 km2)|
|• Water||1 sq mi (3 km2), 0.19%|
|• Density||49/sq mi (19/km²)|
Wyoming County is a county located in the U.S. state of West Virginia. As of the 2010 census, the population was estimated at 23,273 for 2012. Its county seat is Pineville. Wyoming County was created in 1850 from Logan County and named for the Delaware Indian word meaning "large plains".
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 502 square miles (1,300 km²), of which 501 square miles (1,297 km²) is land and 1 square mile (2 km²) (0.19%) is water. The county is drained by the branches of Sandy and Guyandotte rivers. The land surface is mountainous.
- Boone County (north)
- Raleigh County (northeast)
- Mercer County (southeast)
- McDowell County (south)
- Mingo County (west)
- Logan County (northwest)
As of the census of 2000, there were 25,709 people, 10,454 households, and 7,704 families residing in the county. The population density was 51 people per square mile (20/km²). There were 11,698 housing units at an average density of 23 per square mile (9/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 98.59% White, 0.63% Black or African American, 0.12% Native American, 0.08% Asian, 0.07% from other races, and 0.51% from two or more races. 0.53% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 10,454 households out of which 31.00% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 59.30% were married couples living together, 10.50% had a female householder with no husband present, and 26.30% were non-families. 24.40% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.50% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.45 and the average family size was 2.89.
In the county, the population was spread out with 22.40% under the age of 18, 8.70% from 18 to 24, 27.50% from 25 to 44, 27.40% from 45 to 64, and 13.90% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females there were 96.90 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 93.20 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $23,932, and the median income for a family was $29,709. Males had a median income of $32,493 versus $18,812 for females. The per capita income for the county was $14,220. About 20.20% of families and 25.10% of the population were below the poverty line, including 36.90% of those under age 18 and 13.50% of those age 65 or over.
- Mike D'Antoni, NBA coach
- Christy Martin, professional boxer
- Jamie Noble, professional wrestler
- Heath Slater, professional wrestler
- Curt Warner, football player
- Charles Davis, professional archer
- Rocky Blankenship, professional wrestler
- Adam Morgan (AdamMorganTV), actor
- Bernie Casey, football player and actor.
- Stephen Anderson, On The Trail Host
- Joe Pendry, NFL Coach
Cities and towns
Below is partial listing of known unincorporated communities within Wyoming County. A complete listing is available here
- Horse Creek Wildlife Management Area
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Wyoming County West Virginia
- Twin Falls Resort State Park
- "Wyoming County, WV". US Census Bureau Quick Facts. Retrieved 29 August 2013.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "Wyoming. III. A S. county of West Virginia". The American Cyclopædia. 1879.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
||Logan County||Boone County||Raleigh County|
|McDowell County||Mercer County|