|IATA: YZF – ICAO: CYZF
– WMO: 71936
|Owner/Operator||Government of the Northwest Territories|
|Location||Yellowknife, Northwest Territories|
|Hub for||Adlair Aviation
Arctic Sunwest Charters
|Time zone||MST (UTC−07:00)|
|• Summer (DST)||MDT (UTC−06:00)|
|Elevation AMSL||675 ft / 206 m|
|Sources: Canada Flight Supplement
Movements from Statistics Canada
Yellowknife Airport (IATA: YZF, ICAO: CYZF) is located in Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, Canada. The airport is part of the National Airports System, and is operated by the Government of the Northwest Territories. The airport has regular scheduled passenger service as well as a number of freight services.
In 2008 the airport's passenger terminal underwent an expansion to the departure/check in section, roughly doubling the size of the terminal. The airport is classified as an airport of entry by NAV CANADA and is staffed by the Canada Border Services Agency. CBSA officers at this airport currently can handle general aviation aircraft only, with no more than 15 passengers.
The Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) "G" Division maintains a hangar for its air section just south of the passenger terminal. It is adjacent to a hangar used by the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) to house the CC-138 Twin Otter and other utility aircraft operated by 440 Squadron, a subsidiary of 17 Wing.
Canadian NORAD Region Forward Operating Location Yellowknife is located south-west of the airstrip. It was built for forward deployment of the CF-18 Hornet in times of conflict. It also has a CC-138 permanently based at the airport for search and rescue missions.
Airlines and destinations
- Airport Divestiture Status Report
- Canada Flight Supplement. Effective 0901Z 6 February 2014 to 0901Z 3 April 2014
- Synoptic/Metstat Station Information
- Total aircraft movements by class of operation — NAV CANADA towers
- Yellowknife Airport Expansion
- flyairnorth.com - Schedule announced for Whitehorse/Ottawa/Yellowknife Flights
Media related to Yellowknife Airport at Wikimedia Commons
- Main Web Page
- Entry about Yellowknife Airport on the Canadian Owners and Pilots Association's Places to Fly Airport Directory
- Past three hours METARs, SPECI and current TAFs for Yellowknife Airport from Nav Canada as available.