London International Airport
|London international Airport
London Metropolitan Area Airport
|London International Airport control tower|
|IATA: YXU – ICAO: CYXU
– WMO: 71623
|Operator||Greater London International Airport Authority|
|Time zone||EST (UTC−05:00)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC−04:00)|
|Elevation AMSL||912 ft / 278 m|
|Number of Passengers||465,746|
|Sources: Canada Flight Supplement
Movements from Statistics Canada
Passenger statistics from Statistics Canada.
In 2009, the airport handled 501,835 passengers, and, in 2011, was the 20th busiest in Canada in terms of aircraft movements, with 94,747. Air Canada Express, United Express (operated by SkyWest Airlines), and WestJet all serve London International Airport. It also provides services for cargo airlines.
The airport is classified as an airport of entry by NAV CANADA and is staffed by the Canada Border Services Agency. CBSA officers at this airport currently can handle aircraft with no more than 180 passengers; however, they can handle up to 450 if the aircraft is unloaded in stages.
The airport was constructed in 1939 near Crumlin, on a location that was then outside the city limits of London but has since been annexed into the city. It was originally an air base under the command of the Commonwealth Air Training Plan, where pilots from the British Commonwealth and former colonies were trained; as a tribute to this period, a Canadair T-33 aircraft in former Royal Canadian Air Force livery is mounted in front of the main terminal building.
London International Airport has experienced tremendous growth of late. With WestJet entering the market during the early 2000s, an increase in terminal size was needed. As a result, London International Airport's terminal was completely renovated and expanded to meet passenger needs finishing in 2003.
Airlines and destinations
|Air Canada Express||Ottawa, Toronto–Pearson|
|Canjet||Seasonal: Cancún, Varadero|
|Sunwing Airlines||Seasonal: Varadero|
|United Express||Chicago–O'Hare, Newark (begins October 26, 2014)|
Seasonal: Cancún, Orlando, Varadero, Winnipeg
- CHC Helicopter — Ornge (Ontario Air Ambulance)
- Jet Aircraft Museum - The Jet Aircraft Museum currently operates 6 Canadair T-33 Silver Stars - otherwise known as the T-bird
- Flightexec — Executive aircraft charter and air ambulance
- Executive Aviation — Esso-affiliated fixed base operator
- Trek Aviation - Aircraft Maintenance and Consulting Services 
- B&W Aviation — Shell-affiliated fixed base operator
- Diamond Aircraft — Light aircraft manufacturer
- Discovery Air — Niche flight services
- Diamond Flight Centre - Flight training school
- Forest City Flight Centre — Flight training school 
- AFS Aerial Photography — Aerial photography services
- Aero Academy (Recently closed)
- Airport Divestiture Status Report
- Canada Flight Supplement. Effective 0901Z 29 May 2014 to 0901Z 24 July 2014
- Synoptic/Metstat Station Information
- Total aircraft movements by class of operation — NAV CANADA towers
- Passengers enplaned and deplaned on selected services — Top 50 airports
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to London International Airport.|
- Official website
- Past three hours METARs, SPECI and current TAFs for London International Airport from Nav Canada as available.