From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the year 1442.
|This article does not cite any sources. (July 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|1442 by topic|
|Arts and science|
|Architecture - Art|
|Political entities - State leaders - Colonial governors - Religious leaders|
|Birth and death categories|
|Births - Deaths|
|Establishments and disestablishments categories|
|Establishments - Disestablishments|
|Art and literature|
|1442 in poetry|
|Ab urbe condita||2195|
|English Regnal year||20 Hen. 6 – 21 Hen. 6|
|Chinese calendar||辛酉年 (Metal Rooster)
4138 or 4078
— to —
壬戌年 (Water Dog)
4139 or 4079
|- Vikram Samvat||1498–1499|
|- Shaka Samvat||1363–1364|
|- Kali Yuga||4542–4543|
|Japanese calendar||Kakitsu 2
|Minguo calendar||470 before ROC
|Thai solar calendar||1984–1985|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 1442.|
- March 18–25 – Battle of Hermannstadt: John Hunyadi defeats an army of the Ottoman Empire 80,000 strong, led by Mesid Bey of Vidin, near Sibiu in Transylvania.
- June 2 – Alfonso of Aragon proclaimed himself King of Naples.
- The community of Rauma, Finland is granted its town rights.
- The municipality of Juva, Finland is founded.
- Vlad II Dracul is temporarily replaced as ruler of Wallachia by his son Mircea.
- A fourth tower is added to Liverpool Castle in England.
- Jelena Balšić completes writing the Gorički zbornik manuscripts at her church of St. Mary on the island of Beška in the Serbian Despotate.
- April 13 – Henry IV of Neuhaus, High Treasurer of Bohemia (1485–1503), Burgrave of Prague Castle (1503–1507) (d. 1507)
- April 15 – John Paston, English noble (d. 1479)
- April 28 – King Edward IV of England, King of England from 4 March 1461 until 3 October 1470, and again from 11 April 1471 to 3 October 1480 (d. 1483)
- July 3 – Emperor Go-Tsuchimikado of Japan (d. 1500)
- July 15 – Boček IV of Poděbrady, Bohemian nobleman, eldest son of King George of Podebrady (d. 1496)
- September 8 – John de Vere, 13th Earl of Oxford (d. 1513)
- September 27 – John de la Pole, 2nd Duke of Suffolk (d. 1491)
- date unknown
- probable – Anthony Woodville, 2nd Earl Rivers (d. 1483)
- August 29 – John VI, Duke of Brittany (b. 1389)
- October 18 – Infante João of Portugal (b. 1400)
- December 18 – Pierre Cauchon, French Catholic bishop (b. 1371)
- date unknown