1898 College Football All-America Team
The 1898 College Football All-America team is composed of American football players who were selected as the best players at their positions by various organizations that chose College Football All-America Teams that season. The organizations that chose the teams included Collier's Weekly selected by Walter Camp and the Syracuse Herald.
The 1898 season marked the first time players from the west were named to the All-American teams. Michigan center William Cunningham and Chicago fullback Clarence Herschberger were the first two western players to receive the recognition. Prior to 1898, all of the prior All-America football teams had been selected from among five Ivy League teams – Harvard, Princeton, Yale, Penn, and Cornell.
- WC = Walter Camp for Collier's Weekly
- CW = Casper Whitney for Harper's Weekly
- H = Syracuse Herald, Syracuse, NY
- NYS = New York Sun, selected by Hugh H. Janeway, ex-Princeton player
- NYET = New York Evening Telegram
- OUT = Outing Magazine
- LES = Leslie's Weekly by Charles E. Patterson
Bold = Consensus All-American
All-Americans of 1898
- Lew Palmer, Princeton (WC-1; CW-1; NYS-1; NYET-1; OUT-2; LES-1)
- John Hallowell, Harvard (WC-1; CW-1; NYS-1; NYET-1; OUT-2; LES-2)
- N. T. Folwell, Penn (WC-3; H)
- Art Poe, Princeton (College Football Hall of Fame) (WC-2; H; OUT-1; LES-1)
- Francis Douglas Cochrane, Harvard (WC-2; OUT-1)
- Walter Smith, Army (WC-3)
- Chadwell, Williams (LES-2)
- Art Hillebrand, Princeton (College Football Hall of Fame) (WC-1; CW-1; H; NYS-1; NYET-1; OUT-1; LES-1)
- Burr Chamberlain, Yale (OUT-1; LES-1; WC-1 [g]; CW-1 [g]; H [g]; NYS-1 [g])
- Percy Haughton, Harvard (College Football Hall of Fame) (WC-2; NYET-1; OUT-2; LES-2)
- Allen Steckle, Michigan (WC-2)
- Malcolm Donald, Harvard (OUT-2)
- Edwin Sweetland, Cornell (WC-3)
- Robert C. Foy, Army (WC-3)
- S. M. Goodman, Penn (LES-2)
- Truxtun Hare, Penn (WC-1 [t]; H [t]; NYS-1 [t]; NYET-1 [t]; OUT-1 [g]; LES-1 [g])
- Gordon Brown, Yale (College Football Hall of Fame) (WC-1; CW-1; NYS-1; NYET-1; LES-1)
- Walter Boal, Harvard (WC-2; CW-1; OUT-1)
- Josiah McCracken, Penn (WC-2; H; OUT-2; LES-2)
- Big Bill Edwards, Princeton (OUT-2)
- C. A. "Brute" Randolph, Penn State (WC-3)
- Daniel A. Reed, Cornell (WC-3; LES-2)
- Pete Overfield, Penn (WC-1; H; NYS-1; NYET-1; OUT-1; LES-1)
- William Cunningham, Michigan (WC-2; CW-1)
- Percy Malcolm Jaffrey, Harvard (WC-3; OUT-2)
- Booth, Princeton (LES-2)
- Charles Dudley Daly, Harvard (College Football Hall of Fame) (WC-1; CW-1; H; NYS-1; NYET-1; OUT-2; LES-1)
- Frank Hudson, Carlisle Indians (OUT-1)
- Walter S. Kennedy, Chicago (WC-2)
- Leon Kromer, Army (WC-3)
- Charles Street, Michigan (LES-2)
- Benjamin Dibblee, Harvard (WC-1; CW-1; H; NYS-1; NYET-1; OUT-1; LES-1)
- John H. Outland, Penn (namesake of the Outland Trophy) (WC-1; NYET-1; OUT-1)
- Malcolm McBride, Yale (CW-1)
- Leicester Warren, Harvard (WC-2; NYS-1)
- Richardson, Brown (WC-2; LES-2)
- Allen E. Whiting, Cornell (OUT-2; LES-2)
- Alfred H. Durston, Yale (OUT-2)
- Raymond Benedict, Nebraska (WC-3)
- Raymond, Wesleyan (WC-3)
- Clarence Herschberger, Chicago (College Football Hall of Fame) (WC-1; H; OUT-1; LES-1)
- Charles Romeyn, Army (WC-3; CW-1; NYS-1)
- Bill Reid, Harvard (H; NYET-1; OUT-2; LES-1)
- Pat O'Dea, Wisconsin (College Football Hall of Fame) (WC-2)
- Wheeler, Princeton (LES-2)
- "2014 NCAA Football Records: Consensus All-America Selections" (PDF). National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). 2014. p. 4. Retrieved August 16, 2014.
- "Camp's 1898 All-America Teams". Evening Independent. 1930-11-21.
- "All-American Eleven of 1898". Harper's Weekly. 1898.
- "All-American Eleven". Sunday Herald. 1898-11-27.
- "All American Team What Janeway of Princeton Thinks of This Year's Football Players". New Haven Evening Register. 1898-11-24.
- "Another All-American Team". The Philadelphia Inquirer. 1898-11-29.
- "Football" (PDF). The Outing Magazine.
- "All-America Addendum" (PDF). College Football Historical Society Newsletter. February 2001.