1978 US Open (tennis)
|1978 US Open|
|Date||28 August – 10 September|
|Category||Grand Slam (ITF)|
|Location||Flushing Meadows, New York, United States|
|Venue||National Tennis Center|
|Jimmy Connors |
|Chris Evert |
|Bob Lutz / Stan Smith |
|Billie Jean King / Martina Navratilova |
|Betty Stöve / Frew McMillan |
The 1978 US Open was a tennis tournament played on outdoor hard courts at the USTA National Tennis Center in New York City in New York in the United States. It was the 98th edition of the US Open and the third Grand Slam tennis event of the year. The tournament was held from August 28 to September 10, 1978, and the singles titles were won by Jimmy Connors and Chris Evert. This was the first year the US Open was played at the National Tennis Center in Flushing Meadows after having been organized at the West Side Tennis Club venue in Forest Hills since 1915. It was also the first time the tournament was played on hard courts, as opposed to much of its history on grass and a brief stint, from 1975 through 1977, on clay.
- It was Connors 5th career Grand Slam title, and his 3rd US Open title.
- It was Evert's 8th career Grand Slam title, and her 4th (consecutive) US Open title.
- Harvey Araton (August 23, 2018). "The stories that would have been: the 1978 U.S. Open". The New York Times.
- "ATP – 1978 US Open Men's Singles Draw". ATP.
- "WTA – 1978 Tournaments – US Open" (PDF). WTA.
- "ATP – 1978 US Open Men's Doubles Draw". ATP.
- Mark Preston; E.J. Crawford & Joel Drucker. "The Greatest Achievements in US Open History". USTA.
1978 Wimbledon Championships
|Grand Slams||Succeeded by|
1978 Australian Open