2013 Metro Manila Film Festival
|2013 Metro Manila Film Festival|
|Date||December 25, 2013to January 7, 2014|
|Best Picture||10,000 Hours|
|Most awards||10,000 Hours (14)|
The 39th Metro Manila Film Festival (MMFF), presented by the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA), was held from 25 December 2013 to the first week of January 2014. During the festival, no foreign films are shown in Philippine theaters in order to showcase locally produced films. For this year, eight film entries were chosen by the MMDA to be showcased in the festival. Contrary to previous years, the Enteng Kabisote, Panday, and Shake, Rattle & Roll films were not presented for this year's festival.
10,000 Hours won the most awards with fourteen, including Best Actor for Robin Padilla, Best Director for Joyce Bernal, and Best Picture. Other winners included My Little Bossings with four awards, Girl, Boy, Bakla, Tomboy with three, and Pagpag: Siyam na Buhay and Boy Golden with one.
The 38th Metro Manila Film Festival held in 2012 became the highest earning MMFF to date with 767 million pesos, 21% higher than that of 2011. On a speech by Chairman Francis Tolentino of Metropolitan Manila Development Authority or MMDA, announcement was held on the creation of a new category, "Animation" under the "New Wave" will be launched on this year. He stated, "...With the growing talent of pool animators both locally and abroad, it is high time that we recognize and showcase their potential to a broader audience...". The Animahenasyon: Philippine Animation Festival will feature 5 animated films acts as Prelude to be shown in theater 1 week ahead of the mainstream films. In line with the move, the MMFF has partnered with the Animation Council of the Philippines, the country’s lead organization in the promotion of the animation industry development. But in the press conference held on the announcement of 8 official entries, Chairman Tolentino announced that the animation category will have to be postponed until the next festival. He also announced the creation of the MMFF Review Committee which will assess and improve the rules, regulations, and implementing programs of the film festival.
On 18 June 2013, the eight official entries were announced by MMDA Chairman Francis Tolentino namely 10,000 Hours, Girl, Boy, Bakla, Tomboy, Kimmy Dora: Ang Kiyemeng Prequel, Pagpag, Pedro Calungsod: Batang Martir, My Super Kap, and My Little Bossings. Due to technical difficulties and other external factors, some entries dropped out of the competition, in which the MMDA committee pick from other entries, which failed to be shortlisted, to replace the withdrawn entry.
New Wave entries
These films were screened from December 18 to December 24 as a prelude to the MMFF.
|Mga Anino ng Kahapon||Agot Isidro, TJ Trinidad, Carlo Cruz, Carl Acosta, Upeng Galang-Fernandez||Vim Yapan-Alem Chua Productions||Alvin Yapan||Drama|
|Dukit||Willy Layug, Raquel Villavicencio, Bor Ocampo, Bambalito Lacap, Thea Lelay, Rhea Lim, Mark Joseph Griswold, Grace Martinez||Centerstage Productions||Armando Lao||Drama|
|Island Dreams||Louise delos Reyes, Alexis Petitprez, Irma Adlawan, Chanel Latorre, Natasha Villaroman, Hector Macaso, Junar Vidal, Ronaldo Baxafra||Kenau Pictures Production||Aloy Adlawan, Gino M. Santos||Romance, comedy|
|Ang Maestra||Perla Bautista, Vaness del Moral, Jenine Desiderio, Dexter Doria, Mel Kimura, Lui Manansala||Pixel Works Enterprise, Scenema Concept International||Joven Tan||Drama|
|Saka-Saka||Ejay Falcon, Joseph Marco, Toby Alejar, Mon Confiado, Baron Geisler, Gigi Locsin||Cinebro||Toto Natividad||Action, drama|
On 27 December 2013, the Metro Manila Film Festival Awards Night was held at Meralco Theater in Ortigas Center, Pasig City. Winners are listed first and highlighted in boldface. The awards night was aired on TV5.
New Wave category
|Best Picture||Best Director|
|Best Actor||Best Actress|
|Most Gender Sensitivity Award||Special Jury Prize|
- New Wave Student Short Film Special Jury Prize - #NoFilter
- New Wave Student Short Film Most Gender-Sensitive Film - Hintayin Mo sa Seq. 24
- New Wave Animation Best Picture - Kaleh and Mbaki
- New Wave Animation Special Jury Prize - Ang Lalong ni Kulakog
Box Office gross
The Metro Manila Development Authority was criticized for only releasing the official earnings of the Top 4 films.
|Entry||Gross Ticket Sales|
|December 25||January 7|
|My Little Bossings||₱ 50,400,000*||₱ 375,900,000*|
|Girl, Boy, Bakla, Tomboy||₱ 47,600,000||₱ 375,450,000|
|Pagpag: Siyam na Buhay||₱ 23,700,000||₱ 170,500,000|
|Kimmy Dora: Ang Kiyemeng Prequel||P 8,100,000||₱ 30,600,000|
- Marfori, MJ. "38th MMFF posts record P767-M gross, says festival head". InterAksyon. Archived from the original on 12 February 2013. Retrieved 24 March 2013.
- Diola, Camille (10 January 2013). "MMFF earns P767-M, breaks records". Philippine Star. Retrieved 24 March 2013.
- "Early launch for MMFF 2013; animation in New Wave section". Tempo. Retrieved 24 March 2013.
- "Animahenasyon". Animahenasyon. Retrieved 27 May 2013.
- Alavaren, Anna Liza (17 May 2013). "New animation category for MMFF eyed". Manila Bulletin. Retrieved 27 May 2013.
- Arriola, Tessa. "Tolentino unveils 8 official MMFF entries". Manila Times. Retrieved 19 June 2013.
- Calderon, Nora (27 February 2013). "Rules sa MMFF babaguhin na!". Philippine Star. Retrieved 24 March 2013.
- Dimaculangan, Jocelyn. "39th Metro Manila Film Fest entries revealed". PEP.ph. Retrieved 19 June 2013.
- Cayabyab, Nes. "8 official entries sa 39th MMFF". Bombo Radyo Philippines. Archived from the original on 22 June 2013. Retrieved 19 June 2013.
- "MMDA announces 8 official entries for MMFF 2013". Lionheart.TV. Archived from the original on 21 June 2013. Retrieved 18 June 2013.
- Bong Revilla backs out of 2013 MMFF
- Aljur-Rhian film replaces Revilla starrer in MMFF 2013
- No more 'Be Careful With My Heart' in MMFF
- Bubbles Salvador (December 18, 2013). "PEP Guide to MMFF 2013 New Wave Section". Philippine Entertainment Portal. Retrieved August 11, 2015.
- "My Little Bossings grossed P50.4 million on MMFF 2013 opening day". Philippine Entertainment Portal. December 27, 2013. Retrieved August 11, 2015.
- "Kita ng 2013 MMFF, P1B na; entry ni Vic Sotto, nangunguna pa rin sa takilya". Remate. Retrieved August 11, 2015.
- "MMFF 2013 Total Gross or Final 14-day tally shows 'My Little Bossings' is top grosser". MyKiRu IsYuSeRo. January 16, 2014. Retrieved August 11, 2015.
- Jocelyn Dimaculangan (March 6, 2014). "39th MMFF entries gross almost P1 billion; MMDA chairman bares plans to open MMFF archives". Philippine Entertainment Portal. Retrieved August 11, 2015.
2012 Metro Manila Film Festival
| Metro Manila Film Festival
2014 Metro Manila Film Festival