Bernardo presenting an award at the 2013 Candy Style Awards
|Born||Kathryn Chandria Manuel Bernardo
March 26, 1996
Cabanatuan City, Nueva Ecija, Philippines
|Occupation||Actress, model, recording artist |
|Agent||Star Magic (2003 –present)|
|Known for||Mara Clara, Growing Up, Princess and I, Got to Believe, Pangako Sa 'Yo|
|Labels||Star Music (2014–present)|
Kathryn Chandria Manuel Bernardo (born March 26, 1996) is a Filipina actress. She is known for her role as Mara in the primetime Filipino drama Mara Clara. Bernardo has been a contract artist of Star Magic and ABS-CBN since 2010 and starred as Ana Bartolome in the 2011 drama film Way Back Home. She played the protagonist Mikay in the primetime series Princess and I.
Bernardo began acting in 2003, appearing as the young Cielo on ABS-CBN's It Might Be You. In 2006, she landed her first main role in the TV series Super Inggo playing Maya, the love interest of the main character. She then continued to play different roles in other ABS-CBN shows such as Krystala and Vietnam Rose before landing a permanent spot on the hit kiddie show Goin' Bulilit'
Bernardo's breakthrough role was her as Mara David/Mara Del Valle in the remake of 1992 television drama Mara Clara with her co-star and off-screen best friend Julia Montes. Since its premiere, the TV series remained a consistent leader in primetime ratings. Affirming its success, the show was nominated in the 2011 Banff World Media Festival's "Telenovelas & Soap Operas" category and marked Bernardo's future as a distinguished actress.
After the primetime teleserye ended, Bernardo soon began appearing in the Sunday afternoon teen show Growing Up. Re-partnering with Julia Montes, the show starred other up and coming ABS-CBN teen stars such as Kiray Celis, Diego Loyzaga and Daniel Padilla. On the show, Bernardo played the role of 15-year-old Ella who lives with her single mother. The show premiered strongly, ranking at number 2 overall on the afternoon block of primetime television.
Bernardo's film career started in 2004 with the movie Gagamboy. However, it was only in 2011 when she, together with her Mara Clara co-star Julia Montes, received a lead role in the movie Way Back Home. The film opened at first place with an estimated PHP 18 million (US $428,571) in its first week that then surpassed other foreign film showings at the time, such as The Smurfs and Conan the Barbarian according to Box Office Mojo.
In that same year, Bernardo was included in Regal Film's Metro Manila Film Festival entry Shake, Rattle & Roll 13. Bernardo took on the horror genre by snagging one of the lead roles of the film's second story called Parola. Her performance received positive reviews. In a review for ClickTheCity.com, Philbert Dy praised Bernardo's acting: "A fantastic performance from Kathryn Bernardo ties it all together. It might just be one of the best things that has ever come out of Shake Rattle and Roll."
She starred in Princess and I, a romance/drama royalty-themed television series, following the success of Growing Up. With a cast flanked by Daniel Padilla as Gino Dela Rosa, Enrique Gil as Prince Jao and Bernardo as Mikay/Princess Areeyah, the teleserye is touted as one of the grandest, being the first Philippine show to be shot in Bhutan. Aside from Padilla and Gil as Bernardo's leading men on the show, Pilipinas Got Talent Season 3 former contestant Khalil Ramos played Mikay's unrequited lover and best friend Kiko. Other veteran actors like Gretchen Barretto and Albert Martinez joined the star-studded cast.
The show garnered unprecedented ratings and appraisal as the number one primetime show in September 2012, opening more doors for Bernardo's shining career. In August 2013, she and Daniel Padilla announcing another television series: Got to Believe in which Bernardo plays Chichay Tampipi, a teenage girl who reunites with her childhood friend Joaquin Manansala (Padilla) after many years; Chichay falls for the rich boy despite their economic differences and family pasts, encountering difficult obstacles that put their love to the test. Got to Believe was also a primetime television hit, gathering 38.6% percent in ratings during the broadcast of the show's final episode and placing at #2 on Kantar Media's nationwide TV ranking list.
Together with Padilla, they both starred in a Filipino romantic-comedy movie entitled 24/7 in love that was released on November 21, 2012. She then starred alongside comedian Vice Ganda together with Daniel Padilla in the 2012 MMFF entry, Sisterakas; in the 1st quarter of 2013, Bernardo, with co-star Daniel Padilla, released her first solo project film from Star Cinema entitled Must Be... Love that was broadcast on March 13.
In December 2013, Bernardo and Padilla starred in the film (an entry for 2013 Metro Manila Film Festival) Pagpag (produced by Star Cinema and Regal Films) which was broadcast on Christmas Day.
Bernardo and Padilla once again headlined a movie adaptation of Bianca Bernardino's best-selling novel named She's Dating the Gangster as part of Star Cinema's 20th anniversary in July 2014. The movie was produced by Star Cinema, co-produced by Summit Media and directed by Cathy Garcia-Molina. This is the 5th movie in which Kathryn and Padilla are paired on the big screen after the success of their romantic comedy television series Got to Believe (which was also directed by Garcia-Molina). According to Star Cinema Advertising Manager Mico del Rosario the film was a financial success, gathering PHP 15 million (US $340,000) on its first day of showing. On its 4th week (August 3, 2014), the movie reportedly grossed PHP 230 million (US $5,476,190). A year after her recognition from FHM UK, Bernardo was ranked 17 behind former Japanese AV Idol Maria Ozawa for the FHM Philippines 100 Sexiest Woman 2015, which won by Jennylyn Mercado.
On December 1, 2014 Bernardo with Daniel Padilla and Vice Ganda were given their own stars in the country's version of the Hollywood Walk of Fame, the Eastwood Walk of Fame, located at Eastwood City, Quezon City.
Bernardo has been involved in singing ventures such as her guest appearances for Daniel Padilla's concert "DOS" and her participation in the soundtrack albums of her primetime television shows.
Bernardo recorded her first solo "Mula Noon Hanggang Ngayon" as part of the soundtrack for Princess and I in 2012 and was originally sung by Lea Salonga. In 2013, she recorded a cover of David Pomeranz's "Got to Believe in Magic" with Padilla for their primetime television Got 2 Believe.
In 2014, she began to venture into music by recording various original songs and releasing her first studio album titled Kathryn. A duet with Padilla titled was used as the theme song for ABS-CBN's Summer Station. Bernardo also released her first solo original song titled "Ikaw Na Nga Yata", which was used in the local airing of the Korean series Pretty Man. On November 6, she released the lead single to her debut album titled "You Don't Know Me" which was written by Marion Aunor and is about a blooming relationship that fails to take off because of the lack of effort of one of those involved to genuinely get to know the other. The album was released on November 30 under Star Music, consisting of eleven songs in total.
Bernardo cites American pop stars Taylor Swift and Ariana Grande as her musical inspirations; she further said she considers local pop sensation Sarah Geronimo and singer Yeng Constantino her idols.
|2012||"Mula Noon Hanggang Ngayon"|
|2013||"Pagdating ng Panahon"|||
|"Got to Believe in Magic" (with Daniel Padilla)|
|2014||"Ikaw Na Nga Yata"|||
|2015||"Thank You For The Love"||
(with ABS-CBN Christmas Station ID with Daniel Padilla, Nadine Lustre, James Reid, Liza Soberano, Enrique Gil, Bamboo and Elha Nympha
|2014||"PinaSmile" (with Daniel Padilla)||
|"You Don’t Know Me"||December 24, 2014|||
|"Mr. DJ"||March 8, 2015|
|2003||It Might Be You||Young Cielo San Carlos||ABS-CBN|||
|2005||Vietnam Rose||Young Carina Mojica dela Cerna|||
|2006||Gulong ng Palad||Young Mimi Sandoval|
|Komiks Presents: Agua Bendita||Young Agua Cristi / Bendita Cristi|||
|Komiks Presents: Bandanang Itim||Juliana|
|Super Inggo||Maya Guevarra|||
|2007||Pangarap na Bituin||Young Chorva Ayala Gomez|
|Prinsesa ng Banyera||Young Mayumi Burgos|
|2008||Maalaala Mo Kaya: Bracelet||Zorayda|
|2009||Your Song Presents: You Know It's Christmas||Stephanie|
|Maalaala Mo Kaya: Blusa||Nympha|
|Super Inggo at ang Super Tropa||Maya Guevarra||voice only|
|2010||Endless Love||Young Jenny Dizon / Jenny Cruz||GMA||First GMA appearance|
|Magkaribal||Young Victoria Valera / Anna Abella||ABS-CBN|||
|Mara Clara||Mara David / Mara del Valle||Remake|||
|2011||Wansapanataym: Apir Disapir||Jenny||Season 2, Episode 42|
|Growing Up||Mikaella "Ella" Dimalanta / Cassandra|
|2012||Maalaala Mo Kaya: Ensaymada||Dang||Season 20, Episode 5|||
|Princess and I||Maria Mikaela "Mikay" Dela Rosa
/ Princess Areeyah Rinpoche
|2013||Got to Believe||Cristina Carlotta "Chichay" Tampipi|||
|2014||Be Careful With My Heart||Young Felicidad||Guest star|||
|Wansapanataym: Puppy ko si Papi||Iris||Season 5, Episode 225|||
|2015||Maalaala Mo Kaya: Parol||Daisy Ravelo||Season 21, Episode 204|||
|Pangako Sa ’Yo||Yna Macaspac /
Maria Amor de Jesus
|2017||La Luna Sangre||Malia Rodriguez||Is the third installment
after Lobo & Imortal.
& Regal Entertainment
|2005||Nasaan Ka Man||Young Pilar||Star Cinema|
|2006||Tatlong Baraha||Inah Valiente||Violett Films|||
|2008||Supahpapalicious||Special Guest||Star Cinema|||
|2011||Way Back Home||Joanna Santiago / Ana Bartolome|
|Shake, Rattle & Roll 13||Lucy||Regal Entertainment, Inc.
& Regal Multimedia, Inc.
|Part 2: Parola|
|2012||24/7 in Love||Jane Dela Cuesta||Star Cinema|
|Sisterakas||Katherine "Kathy" Maningas||Star Cinema & Viva Films|
|2013||Must Be... Love||Patricia "Patchot" Espinosa||Star Cinema|||
|Pagpag: Siyam na Buhay||Leni dela Torre||Star Cinema & Regal Films|||
|2014||She's Dating the Gangster||Athena Dizon / Kelay Dizon||Star Cinema & Summit Media|||
|2015||Crazy Beautiful You||Jacqueline "Jackie" Serrano||Star Cinema|||
|2016||Barcelona: A Love Untold||Mia Angela "Mia" Dela Torre / Celine Antipala|||
|2017||Can't Help Falling in Love||Gab Dela Cuesta|||
- "Press Release: Smell Like a Star". Bench. September 2, 2011. Retrieved March 30, 2015.
- "'Princess and I' Stars Release "Love Songs from Princess and I" Album". showbiznest.com. June 16, 2012. Retrieved July 18, 2012.
- "Featured Actress : Kathryn Bernardo". GEOtayo Philippines. Geotayo Philippines. 2009. Retrieved April 15, 2012.
- Quintos, Napoleon (May 11, 2011). "Kathryn Bernardo feels pressured about her launching movie with Star Cinema". Push.
- Almo, Nerisa (August 4, 2011). "Enrique Gil thankful to have been chosen as a replacement in Way Back Home". Philippe Entertainment Portal.
- "Kathryn Bernardo on going back to school: 'Nagiging normal college girl ako'".
- "Kathryn, Daniel now 'exclusively dating'".
- "Kathryn Bernardo on relationship with Daniel Padilla: 'Hindi official pero very special'".
- Santiago, Erwin (June 25, 2010). "Endless Love stars Kristoffer Martin and Kathryn Bernardo: The next Joshua Dionisio and Barbie Forteza?". Pep. Retrieved September 22, 2012.
- Villagomez, Kaye (April 24, 2011). "'Mara Clara' scores int'l award body's nod". Manila Bulletin. Retrieved October 7, 2012.
- Montealegre, Lyn Luna (September 1, 2011). "Diego Loyzaga, Julia Montes, Kathryn Bernardo and Daniel Padilla reveal their growing-up insecurities". Pep.ph. Retrieved October 8, 2012.
- Santiago, Erwin (September 6, 2011). "Kantar Media-TNS National Household Ratings (Sept. 2-5): Kapamilya shows rule primetime race; 100 Days To Heaven leads ABS-CBN campaign". Pep.ph. Retrieved October 8, 2012.
- Sancon, Allan (August 4, 2012). "Kathryn Bernardo and Julia Montes tagged as "future superstars"". Pep. Retrieved September 25, 2012.
- Way Back Home first week gross retrieved October 7, 2012
- Mendoza, Abby (December 5, 2011). "Kathryn Bernardo shifts from drama to horror in Shake Rattle and Roll 13". Pep.ph. Retrieved October 7, 2012.
- Dy, Philbert. "A Worthy Anthology". Movie Review for Shake Rattle And Roll XIII. Clickthecity.com. Retrieved October 7, 2012.
- Santos, Rhea Manila (March 22, 2012). "Kathryn Bernardo shares her experience shooting 'The Princess and I' in Bhutan". Push.
- Montealegre, Lyn Luna (April 9, 2012). "Daniel Padilla opens up about his feelings for Kathryn Bernardo". Pep. Retrieved September 22, 2012.
- Franco, Bernie (September 23, 2012). "Gretchen Barretto's advice to Kathryn Bernardo: 'Nagkamali ako in the past, wag n'yong gagayahin'". Retrieved October 7, 2012.
- Almo, Nerisa (August 12, 2012). "Daniel Padilla and Kathryn Bernardo will join Vice Ganda and Kris Aquino in Sisteraka". Pep. Retrieved September 25, 2012.
- "Daniel Padilla and Kathryn Bernardo in Star Cinema's "Must Be Love"". Retrieved February 23, 2013.
- "Daniel Padilla,Kathryn Bernardo "Must Be… Love"". Retrieved February 27, 2013.
- "Pagpag Starring Kathryn Bernardo and Daniel Padilla".
- "Mother Lily pahinga na sa Shake… pero may sosyo sa Pagpag".
- "She's Dating the Gangster earns 260 million in 4 weeks". Rod Magaru Show. August 5, 2014. Retrieved August 5, 2014.
- "She's Dating the Gangster (2014)". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved August 5, 2014.
- Umbao, Ed (December 2, 2014). "Daniel, Kathryn & Vice Ganda Newest Stars on the Eastwood Walk of Fame". Pilpippines News. Retrieved January 17, 2017
- ABS-CBN officially launched its 2014 summer station ID on Sunday, 30 March 2014. ABS-CBN News. Retrieved March 30, 2014.
- "Kathryn Bernardo ventures into music". ABS-CBN News and Current Affairs. August 21, 2014. Retrieved August 23, 2015.
- "LISTEN: Kathryn's new song 'You Don't Know Me'". ABS-CBN News. October 6, 2014. Retrieved December 9, 2014.
- #SNAPSHOTS: Kathryn Bernardo talks about her upcoming music videos. Star Cinema. Retrieved November 21, 2014.
- Teen Queen Kathryn Bernardo is now dominating the recording industry. Star Cinema. Retrieved December 1, 2014.
- Got to Believe Official Soundtrack Album on iTunes.
- ABS-CBN Summer Station ID 2014 Recording Sessions. ABS-CBN Entertainment. Retrieved March 25, 2014.
- ABS-CBN Summer Station ID 2010 Summer Ang Simula. ABS-CBN Entertainment. Retrieved March 21, 2010.
- ABS-CBN releases Ulan Station ID 2012. ABS-CBN Entertainment. Retrieved July 9, 2012.
- Nasa Iyo Na Ang Lahat by Daniel Padilla (Official MV). ABS-CBN Star Music. Retrieved February 4, 2013.
- DANIEL PADILLA - Simpleng Tulad Mo (Official MV). ABS-CBN Star Music. Retrieved August 29, 2014.
- VIDEO: Kathryn Bernardo: The Teen Queen of Drama. ABS-CBN.com. Retrieved April 4, 2014.
- Kathryn Bernardo graduates from "the young" roles; she plays Mara, the part which gave Judy Ann Santos her biggest break. Pep.ph. Retrieved January 26, 2011.
- List of Komiks episodes
- Where on earth is Super Inggo's Maya? ABS-CBN News. Retrieved April 10, 2010.
- List of Maalaala Mo Kaya episodes#Season 20
- Kathryn Bernardo brings life to a young girl who discovers that she is a princess who has been separated from her royal family. Pep.ph. Retrieved April 3, 2012.
- What happened to Kathryn and Daniel's 'Got to Believe'? ABS-CBN News. Retrieved July 22, 2013.
- SILIPIN: KathNiel sa 'Be Careful with My Heart'. ABS-CBN News. Retrieved September 14, 2014.
- List of Wansapanataym episodes
- Kathryn Bernardo I MMK 3 January 2015 Teaser. ABS-CBN Entertainment. Retrieved December 27, 2014.
- Pangako Sa'yo 2015 Remake Teaser. ABS-CBN Entertainment. Retrieved December 2, 2014.
- Mga bagong programa ng ABS-CBN, ipinasilip sa Kapamilya Trade Event. ABS-CBN News. Retrieved December 3, 2014.
- DANIEL PADILLA, KATHRYN BERNARDO Team Up In “La Luna Sangre” This 2017! myxph.com. Retrieved November 24, 2016.
- "THIS JUST IN: Kathryn Bernardo and Daniel Padilla to topbill 2017 fantaserye "La Luna Sangre" - third installment after "Lobo" & "Imortal".". twitter.com/mjfelipe. Twitter. November 22, 2016. Retrieved November 22, 2016.
- "Kathryn Bernardo as part of the cast of Baraha (2006 film)". IMDb. Retrieved December 1, 2012.
- Tatlong Baraha of Violett Films brought home three awards, namely Best Visual Effects, Best Festival Float and Best Make Up. Retrieved November 13, 2010.
- Supahpapalicious Cast on IMDB.
- Must Be... Love Official Page on Star Cinema.
- "Pagpag". Star Cinema. Retrieved September 11, 2015.
- "She's Dating The Gangster". Star Cinema. Retrieved September 11, 2015.
- Crazy Beautiful You Official Page on Star Cinema.
- "New KathNiel movie gets title". ABS-CBN. July 26, 2016. Retrieved August 1, 2016.
- "Kathniel Official Website". Archived from the original on April 12, 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kathryn Bernardo.|