From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the year 978.
|978 by topic|
|Ab urbe condita||1731|
|Chinese calendar||丁丑年 (Fire Ox)
3674 or 3614
— to —
戊寅年 (Earth Tiger)
3675 or 3615
|- Vikram Samvat||1034–1035|
|- Shaka Samvat||899–900|
|- Kali Yuga||4078–4079|
|Japanese calendar||Jōgen 3 / Tengen 1
|Minguo calendar||934 before ROC
|Seleucid era||1289/1290 AG|
|Thai solar calendar||1520–1521|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 978.|
- The Wu-Yue State is forced to surrender to the Chinese Song Dynasty.
- One of the Four Great Books of Song, the Tàipíng guǎngjì is a Chinese encyclopedia documenting various stories of Chinese myths and subjects of theology. Divided into 500 volumes, it consists of over 3 million written Chinese characters.
- Badìa Fiorentina, an abbey in Florence, Italy, is founded by Willa, Margravine of Tuscany.
- Ethelred II becomes king of England at age 10, following the assassination of his half-brother King Edward the Martyr.
- The revolt of Henry II, Duke of Bavaria against Otto II ends.
- England's royal mint is located at Guildford.
- Princess Zoe of Byzantium, later Empress of the Eastern Roman Empire
- Yaroslav I the Wise, prince of Novgorod and Kiev
- March 18 – King Edward the Martyr of England, (by supporters of his half-brother)
- Abraham of Alexandria, Coptic pope
- Li Houzhu, last Chinese emperor of the Southern Tang (b. 936)
- Luitgarde of Vermandois