Adlington (Lancashire) railway station
Adlington railway station in 2009
|Number of platforms||2|
|Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|Key dates||Opened 4 February 1841|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Adlington (Lancashire) from Office of Rail and Road statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
Adlington railway station serves the town of Adlington, near Chorley in Lancashire, England. It is a two-platform station on the Chorley-Bolton line. This is part of the Northern service link between Preston and Manchester.
On 15 June 1837 by act of Parliament, the Bolton and Preston Railway Company constructed a link with the Manchester line comprising nine and a half miles of railway to a temporary terminus at Rawlinson Lane. By December 1841 the line had reached Chorley and Adlington station opened to take over from Rawlinson Bridge.
The line would pass into the hands London, Midland and Scottish Railway during the Grouping of 1923. The line then passed on to the London Midland Region of British Railways on nationalisation in 1948.
There is a basic hourly service in each direction (including evenings & Sundays) to Manchester Victoria southbound and to Preston & Blackpool northbound. Additional trains call during weekday peak periods, whilst some Manchester-bound trains continue to Huddersfield or to Hazel Grove via Manchester Piccadilly (peak only). Limited First TransPennine Express services between Manchester Airport and Preston used to stop here at peak times but these no longer call here as of May 2012.
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
- Table 82 National Rail timetable, May 2016
- Butt, R. V. J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 1-8526-0508-1. OCLC 60251199.
- Jowett, Alan (2000). Jowett's Nationalised Railway Atlas (1st ed.). Penryn, Cornwall: Atlantic Transport Publishers. ISBN 0-9068-9999-0. OCLC 228266687.
- Jowett, Alan (March 1989). Jowett's Railway Atlas of Great Britain and Ireland: From Pre-Grouping to the Present Day (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 1-8526-0086-1. OCLC 22311137.
- Station on navigable O.S. map
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Adlington (Lancashire) railway station.|