|Minnesota Twins – No. 51|
November 1, 1988 |
|August 26, 2016, for the Minnesota Twins|
(through August 26, 2016)
|Earned run average||0.00|
Alex Wimmers (born November 1, 1988) is an American professional baseball pitcher for the Minnesota Twins of Major League Baseball (MLB). He played college baseball at Ohio State. Wimmers made his MLB debut on August 26, 2016.
Wimmers attended Archbishop Moeller High School in Cincinnati, Ohio, and Ohio State University, where he played college baseball for the Ohio State Buckeyes baseball team. In 2009, his sophomore year, he was named an All-American. He won the 2010 National Pitcher of the Year Award. The Twins drafted Wimmers in the first round, with the 21st overall selection, of the 2010 MLB Draft. He signed with the Twins, receiving a $1.332 million signing bonus.
On August 2, 2012, Wimmers underwent Tommy John surgery to repair a torn ulnar collateral ligament of elbow joint. He had made one start with the New Britain Rock Cats of the Class AA Eastern League and one with the Gulf Coast League Twins of the Rookie-level Gulf Coast League. He underwent elbow surgery in October 2013, but was healthy to start the 2014 season. He pitched for the Chattanooga Lookouts of the Class AA Southern League in 2015. He began the 2016 season with Chattanooga, and was promoted to the Rochester Red Wings of the Class AAA International League. The Twins promoted Wimmers to the major leagues on August 26.
- Groeschen, Tom (March 31, 2007). "Wimmers gets best of Elder". Cincinnati Enquirer. Retrieved July 4, 2015. (subscription required)
- Brown, Kyle (May 30, 2009). "OSU's Wimmers earns A-A honor". Cincinnati Enquirer. Retrieved July 4, 2015. (subscription required)
- "Wimmers Named National Pitcher of the Year: The College Baseball Foundation selected Alex Wimmers as its National Pitcher of the Year Friday night in Lubbock, Texas". Ohio State Buckeyes Official Athletic Site. Retrieved July 4, 2015.
- "Minnesota Twins: Prospect Alex Wimmers has surgical procedure on elbow". TwinCities.com. Retrieved October 29, 2014.
- "Twins RHP prospect Wimmers has Tommy John". Retrieved July 29, 2016.
- "After several setbacks, Twins' Alex Wimmers makes strides". Star Tribune. Retrieved October 29, 2014.
- "Minnesota Twins prospect Alex Wimmers records career-high 11 strikeouts in seven shutout innings for Chattanooga Lookouts". MiLB.com. Retrieved July 4, 2015.
- "Change is a really good thing for Red Wings' Wimmers". Retrieved July 29, 2016.
- "Twins call up 2010 1st-round pick Alex Wimmers". August 26, 2016. Retrieved August 26, 2016.