Angelina Ballerina: The Next Steps
|Angelina Ballerina: The Next Steps|
|Created by||Katharine Holabird & Helen Craig|
|Based on||Classic Angelina Ballerina works|
written by Katharine Holabird
illustrated by Helen Craig
|Directed by||Davis Doi|
|Presented by||Moira Quirk|
|Voices of||Charlotte Spencer|
Jules de Jongh
|Theme music composer||Mark Williamson (music and lyrics)|
Judy Rothman (lyrics)
|Opening theme||"Angelina Ballerina"|
by Kacie Lynch
|Ending theme||"Angelina Ballerina" (instrumental)|
Mark Sayer-Wade (music)
Mark Williamson (music and lyrics)
Scott Erickson (music and lyrics)
Judy Rothman (lyrics)
Joseph K. Phillips (music and lyrics)
Richard M. Sherman
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|No. of series||4|
|No. of episodes||40 (list of episodes)|
|Executive producers||Jonathan Dern|
Marc E. Platt
|Running time||28 minutes|
|Production companies||HIT Entertainment|
|Original network||Channel 5 and Nick Jr. (UK)|
PBS Kids (US)
|Original release||5 September 2009 –|
13 November 2010
Angelina Ballerina: The Next Steps is a CGI preschool animated children's television series and the successor/spin-off of the Angelina Ballerina television series from 2001 to 2006; both series are in turn based on the Angelina Ballerina series of children's books by Katharine Holabird, the author and Helen Craig, the illustrator. The series first aired on September 5, 2009, on PBS Kids in the United States.
The Next Steps is different from the first TV series as it uses CGI animation. This series sees eight-year-old Angelina and her family move to the other side of Chipping Cheddar to attend a performing arts school called Camembert Academy. It features the debut of Ms. Mimi, Angelina's new teacher and new friends like Viki, Marco, Gracie, and A.Z., as well as her best friend Alice who joins Camembert Academy.
The series features songs with music by Mark Sayer-Wade, Scott Erickson and Mark Williamson and lyrics by Judy Rothman, Williamson and Erickson, as well as several songs written and arranged by Barney & Friends composer, Joseph K. Phillips, and footage from host Moira Quirk. Richard M. Sherman is the music director of the series. 40 episodes were produced.
Angelina Ballerina: The Next Steps celebrates music and songs and brings to life many forms of dance for Angelina including ballet, tap dancing, jazz, classical, and ethnic. As a ballerina, Angelina's life revolves around dancing, singing and performance, family, friends, friendship, and following her dreams.
|First aired||Last aired|
|1||10||5 September 2009||7 November 2009|
|2||10||14 November 2009||16 January 2010|
|3||10||23 January 2010||3 April 2010|
|4||10||4 September 2010||13 November 2010|
- Angelina Mouseling (voiced by Charlotte Spencer) is the protagonist of the series. She is a feisty, cheerful and happy-go-lucky mouseling who still dreams to become a prima ballerina. She has grown up and moved to the other side of Chipping Cheddar with her family to attend a performing arts school, Camembert Academy. Her catchphrases are "Absolutely, positively!", "Really truly!", "Stupendous!", "Follow your dreams!", "Let's dance!", "Get up and dance!", "I'm Angelina Ballerina!", "Hoop-dee-doo!" and "Hooray!" She has purple eyes and pinkish-white fur, wears a pink tanktop leotard, pink tutu with a red rose on it, a pink ribbon in her hair, and pink ballet slippers.
- Alice Nimbletoes (voiced by Naomi McDonald) is Angelina's best friend and an aspiring gymnast. She is optimistic, enthusiastic, feisty, cheerful, happy-go-lucky and always up for a new adventure. Kind, innocent, and with a heart of gold, Alice is a bit forgetful, but she will try harder than everybody else. Her catchphrases are "Ooooh...it's the best fun ever!", "Knock, knock, who's there?", "Follow your dreams!", "Let's dance!", "Get up and dance!", "Hoop-dee-doo!" and "Hooray!" She has light brown fur and green eyes. She wears a long-sleeved green top, a green skirt, green ballet slippers, and a green ribbon in her hair.
- Marco (voiced by Jules de Jongh in US version and Lous Williams in UK) is a Latin American student from the exotic tropical country of Costa Mousa. He is one of Angelina's best friends Marco likes to play and hear music. Besides loving music, he is also wildly enthusiastic about sports, especially soccer. Marco has taught himself to play multiple instruments, and his favorite musical instrument is the conga drums. A helpful mouseling, Marco sometimes gets into jams due to Angelina's big ideas. He is also a great drummer. His catchphrase is "I just thought of a great rhythm!". He has light brown fur with green eyes, wears a blue T-shirt, blue trousers, dark blue sneakers and a blue wristband around his right wrist.
- Gracie (voiced by Jo Wyatt who was also a voice actor in the original Angelina Ballerina series) is often Angelina's French rival and friend who is meticulous and a tad self-absorbed, and has shown to be a teacher's pet in order to get Ms. Mimi's attentions. Like Angelina, Gracie loves being the star of the show but often uses those occasions to brag. Nonetheless, Angelina knows Gracie is a very kind-hearted friend, and the competition keeps Angelina on her toes. Her catchphrase is "I can do it perfectly!" She has orange fur. She wears a yellow long-sleeved top, a yellow skirt, a blue headband with a yellow flower on it and blue ballet slippers.
- Viki (voiced by Emily Dormer in UK dub and Jules de Jongh in US dub) is an exciting American friend for Angelina at Camembert Academy. She loves ethnic and unusual forms of dance, and she will be the first to try anything new. She is an Irish music lover and a great bass player. She likes standing out from the crowd and doing things her own way. Her catchphrase is "So amazing!" She has gray fur. She wears an orange dress, yellow leggings, orange and yellow stars in her hair, and yellow ballet slippers.
- A.Z. (AJ in the British version) (voiced by Lizzie Waterworth-Santo, who is best known for voicing Horrid Henry) is an American hip-hop student. He knows about the latest culture phenomenon, such as the latest handshake, line dance and cheese du jour. His catchphrase is "A.Z. Mouse is in the house!" He wears a red hoodie, blue jeans, and sneakers.
- Ms. Mimi (voiced by Judith Mason) is the head teacher at Camembert Academy and is everyone's American role model. She is modern, young, fun, warm, and caring. She adores little mouselings as much as they adore her, and loves to inspire them with her own vivid imagination. Her catchphrase is "Bravo, students! Marvelous music and dancing!" She wears a purple dress, purple leggings, green ballet slippers, and a green headband.
- Mr. Maurice Mouseling (voiced by Simon Mattacks) is Angelina and Polly's father. He works as a reporter for the Mouseland Herald and keeps his finger on the pulse of the happenings in Chipping Cheddar. In the episode "Angelina and the Marcel Mouseau Mime Challenge", it is revealed that Mr. Mouseling was a drummer in a rock band. He wears glasses, a white shirt under a brown jacket, and blue trousers.
- Mrs. Matilda Mouseling (voiced by Emma Tate) is Angelina and Polly's mother. Supportive yet firm, she provides the voice of reason the young starlet Angelina needs. In the episode "Angelina's Fancy Tutu", it is revealed that she was once a ballerina. She wears a pink dress, white necklace, and reddish-purple shoes.
- Polly Mouseling (voiced by Leah Zabari) is Angelina's 4-year-old sister. Polly is an eager Mouseling whenever Angelina takes the time to show her some of the basics of ballet. When there are steps she cannot copy, Polly is happy to make up her own, much to Angelina's dismay. Her catchphrase is "I love you, Angelina!" She wears a yellow shirt, a blue dress (with suspenders), yellow socks and red shoes.
- Mrs. Thimble (voiced by Beverley Klein) is the owner of the sweets store next door to Mr. Mouseling's music store. She is an elderly mouseling with grey fur and wears a lavender dress with black dots and a bead collar, a white apron, a gold watch, green shoes and glasses.
- Kenichi Ebina
- Black Violin
- The Keltic Dreams
- The New York Chinese Cultural Center
- The Icon Dance Complex
- The American Ballroom Theater Youth Dance Company
- The New York City Youth Tap Ensemble
|#||Title||Episodes||Bonus Features||Air Date|
|1||Love to Dance||Angelina's New School, Angelina's Dance Partner, Angelina's Oldest Friend, Angelina's Sleepover and Angelina and the Hip Hop Kid||"Get Up and Dance" Music Video
"I Will Be a Star" Karaoke Video
|31 August 2010|
|2||The Nutcracker Sweet||Angelina and the Front Row Ticket, Angelina's Holiday Treats, Angelina and Alice Mousikova, Angelina's Gift For Ms. Mimi and Angelina Keeps The Peace||"Prima Ballerina" Puzzles
"Front Row Seats" Karaoke Video
|12 October 2010|
|3||Ballet Dreams||Angelina's New Home, Angelina's New Ballet Teacher, Angelina En Pointe, Angelina's Ballet School and Angelina and the New Music Store||"Create Your Own Dream Routine" Game||1 March 2011|
|4||Pop Star Girls||Angelina's Crazy Solo, Angelina Rock Band, Angelina's Hip Hop Boys Show, Angelina And the Giant and Angelina and the Broken Fiddle||Dancing Star Memory Game||7 June 2011|
|5||Dancing on Ice||Angelina's Lost Ice Skates, Angelina and Alice's Big Night, Angelina's Cheese Roll, Angelina's Lunch Table and Angelina and Gracie's Creative Day||Polly's Picture Matching Game||11 October 2011|
|6||Sweet Valentine||Angelina's Secret Valentine, Angelina and the Hearts of Ice, Angelina and the Big News, Angelina and the Mouselinghood of the Dancing Shoes and Angelina and the Laughing Poet||Angelina's Special Dance Club Game
"Get Up and Dance" Music Video
|3 January 2012|
|7||Musical Moves||Angelina and the Dance Craze, Angelina and the Tummy Butterflies, Angelina and the Magician, Angelina and Ms. Mimi's Dance and Angelina, A.Z. and Cheezy Z.||A "Dance A Day" Dance Club||12 June 2012|
|8||The Mouseling Mysteries||Angelina and the Roquefort's Rhythmic Ghost, Angelina and the Case of the Missing Music, Angelina, the Pet Sitter, Angelina and Super Polly and Angelina and the Marcel Mouseau Mime Challenge||"Solve the Mystery" Karaoke Music Video
Prima Ballerina Puzzles
|12 March 2013|
|9||Superstar Sisters||Angelina and the Music Box, Angelina's Nature Dance, Angelina Jumps the River, Angelina and the Mini-Mouseling and Angelina and Polly's Big Day||Polly's Picture Matching Game
"I Will Be a Star" Karaoke Music Video
|6 June 2017|
|10||Ballerina Princess||Angelina's Big Part, Angelina and Polly's Two-Hour Show, Angelina's Fancy Tutu, Angelina and the Carnival and Angelina's Indian Lunchtime||Angelina's Stupendous Dress-Up Game||6 March 2012|
|11||Twirling Tales||Angelina's Dance Like a Cake Day, Angelina's Noisy, Messy Lunchtime, Angelina and the Musical Plant, Angelina and Her Parents Dance Lessons and Angelina Mother's Day||"One, Two, Three, Four, Five" Karaoke Music Video
"Do the Swing Thing" Karaoke Music Video
|12 November 2013|
|12||On With the Show||Angelina' Musical Day, Angelina And the Bandleader, Angelina and Ms Mimi, Angelina's Kitchen Band and Angelina and the Father's Day Surprise||Angelina's Pictures Game
"I Will Be a Star" Karaoke Music Video
|21 January 2014|
|13||Perfectly Pink||Angelina Cheerleader, Angelina's Hiccups, Angelina and The Must Have Ballet Bag, Angelina's Room and Angelina's Helpful Friend||"There Is Not Enough Space" Karaoke Music Video
"I Just Want to Be Me" Karaoke Music Video
|6 November 2012|
|14||Dance Around the World||Angelina and The Irish Jig, Angelina and The Cheddar Cheese Slide, Angelina and The Windy Children's Day, Angelina and The Smelly Cheese and Angelina and The Dragon Dance||"Create Your Own Dream" Routine Game
"A Step at a Time" Karaoke Music Video "Angelina's Slumber Party (Dancing in the Moonlight)" Karaoke Music Video
|7 November 2017|
|15||Spring Fling||Angelina's Spring Fling, Angelina and the Front Page, Angelina and the New Jeans, Angelina's Trick-or-Treat Feat and Angelina and the Poster||Angelina's Stupendous Dress-Up Game!
"Get Up and Dance" Music Video Trailers
|11 March 2014|
|16||Mousical Medleys||Angelina and the Musical Theater, Angelina and the Art Show, Angelina's Camembert Parade, Angelina and the Dance-A-Thon and Angelina's Opera||"Front Row Seats" Karaoke Music Video
Dancing Star Memory Game
|9 July 2013|
- ^ Crump, William D. (2019). Happy Holidays—Animated! A Worldwide Encyclopedia of Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa and New Year's Cartoons on Television and Film. McFarland & Co. p. 12. ISBN 9781476672939.
- ^ a b c d e f g "About Angelina Ballerina". Archived from the original on 14 February 2016.
- ^ "Credits – Jules de Jongh".
- ^ "Mattel, Inc. | the Official Home of Mattel Toys and Brands". Archived from the original on 11 February 2016.[dead link]
- ^ "Caracter - Viki". Archived from the original on 14 February 2016.[dead link]
- ^ a b c d "Angelina Ballerina". TVGuide.com.
- ^ "Character - Ms. Mimi". Archived from the original on 15 February 2016. Retrieved 3 June 2013.
- 2000s American animated television series
- 2010s American animated television series
- 2000s American children's television series
- 2010s American children's television series
- 2009 American television series debuts
- 2010 American television series endings
- 2000s British children's television series
- 2010s British children's television series
- 2000s British animated television series
- 2010s British animated television series
- 2009 British television series debuts
- 2010 British television series endings
- 2010s preschool education television series
- 2000s preschool education television series
- American children's animated musical television series
- American computer-animated television series
- American preschool education television series
- American sequel television series
- American television shows based on children's books
- American television series with live action and animation
- Animated preschool education television series
- British children's animated musical television series
- British computer-animated television series
- British preschool education television series
- British television shows based on children's books
- British television series with live action and animation
- Animated television series about children
- Animated television series about mice and rats
- Television series about ballet
- PBS Kids shows
- PBS original programming
- Television series by Mattel Creations
- Television series by 9 Story Media Group
- Television series by WNET
- HIT Entertainment
- Dance animation
- English-language television shows