Curious George (TV series)
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Genre||Children's television series|
|Created by||Margret Rey (books)|
H. A. Rey (books)
Alan J. Shalleck (books)
|Based on||Curious George|
by Margret Rey
Alan J. Shalleck
|Developed by||Joe Fallon|
|Directed by||Scott Heming|
|Voices of||Rob Paulsen |
|Narrated by||William H. Macy (season 1)|
|Opening theme||"Like Curious George!" by Dr. John|
|Ending theme||"Like Curious George!" (instrumental)|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||9|
|No. of episodes||108 (list of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Ron Howard|
|Camera setup||Jaclyn Brick|
|Running time||30 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Imagine Entertainment|
Universal 1440 Entertainment
(Universal Studios Family Productions before 2013)
|Distributor||NBCUniversal Television Distribution|
|Original network||PBS Kids|
|Picture format||HDTV 1080i|
SDTV 480i (seasons 1–4)
|Original release||September 4, 2006– April 1, 2015|
|Preceded by||Curious George (1980s TV series)|
Curious George is an American animated educational children's television series based on the children's book series of the same name which features Jeff Bennett as the voice of The Man with the Yellow Hat. Frank Welker, who voiced George in the 2006 feature film, returns as the voice of George. As of October 2018, reruns of the show are still broadcasting on PBS Kids. The show premiered on September 4, 2006, and ended on April 1, 2015.
Curious George is a production of Universal 1440 Entertainment (Universal Studios Family Productions before 2013), Imagine Entertainment, and WGBH Boston, and animated by Toon City. Each episode has two short cartoons per half hour episode, and a live action segment after each story. The pilot and the production began in 2005, and the copyrighted byline was created in July 2005.
After the TV show ends, the series illustrates and explains various concepts in math and science, and each live-action segment shows schoolchildren engaging in experiments, that teach the math or science concept featured in the previous cartoon.
- The City: George and the Man with the Yellow Hat live in an apartment in "The City". The Doorman keeps a pigeon coop on the roof and is the guardian of Hundley, his dachshund dog. The apartment is near Endless Park, the museum where Professor Wiseman works, and a zoo. Chef Pisghetti's restaurant is nearby, as are a donut shop, Dulson's Toy Store, Mabel's Department Store, a supermarket and a pet shop. These are recurring locations.
- The Country: George and the Man with the Yellow Hat vacation in a small house in the country. The house is near Lake Wanasink, a stream, and a river that eventually flows past the city and to the ocean. George is friends there with 5-year-old Allie and the teenage paperboy, Bill.
- Curious George (voiced by Frank Welker): A tailless monkey who is the protagonist of the show. He is excessively curious and often causes unintentional problems. He is used as the "teachable" character in the show, and he is the one to whom new concepts are explained in detail by the other characters. He is written as having the mind of a young child.
- The Man with the Yellow Hat (voiced by Jeff Bennett): The man who first befriended George and also acts as his primary teacher and mentor. He does not wear his hat at home but wears it when going in public. The Man often has bad luck and makes mistakes (such as frequently losing his hat, being in the wrong place at the wrong time, tasting something terrible with a sour reaction, etc.). He is also absent-minded, and a bit awkward.
The setting for most episodes is either the city, where George lives in an apartment building with The Man in the Yellow Hat or the country, where they share a small house near a lake called Lake Wanasinklake. This allows George to mirror the experiences of kids who live in an urban environment and those who live on farms and in suburbs. A few episodes take place in alternate but familiar settings, like an airport or a train station.
|First aired||Last aired|
|1||30||September 4, 2006||February 23, 2007|
|2||20||September 3, 2007||April 22, 2008|
|3||11||September 1, 2008||April 22, 2009|
|4||9||September 8, 2009||June 14, 2010|
|5||10||September 6, 2010||May 6, 2011|
|6||10||September 3, 2011||April 20, 2012|
|7||6||December 3, 2012||April 24, 2013|
|8||6||February 10, 2014||May 21, 2014|
|9||6||October 28, 2014||April 1, 2015|
- PBS (2006–present)
- Antv (2008–present)
- SVTB (2007–present)
- Rúv (2006–present)
- "Curious George - Program Summary". PBS. Archived from the original on October 31, 2012. Retrieved September 18, 2016.
- "Curious George - Program Summary". PBS. Retrieved September 18, 2016.
- "Curious George - TV Credits". PBS. Retrieved September 18, 2016.
- "Boomerang UK And Cartoonito UK August 2018 Highlights". RegularCapital: Cartoon Network International News. Turner Broadcasting System Europe (Press Release). Retrieved 29 July 2018.