Anoka is an unincorporated community in Washington Township, Cass County, Indiana.
A post office was established at Anoka in 1856, and remained in operation until it was discontinued in 1903. One source speculates the name Anoka might be of Sioux origin.
Anoka is located at 40°43′19″N 86°16′57″W / 40.72194°N 86.28250°W.
- ^ "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ "Anoka, Indiana". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved 2009-10-10.
- ^ Powell, Jehu Z. (1913). History of Cass County Indiana: From Its Earliest Settlement to the Present Time. Lewis Publishing Company. p. 713.
- ^ "Cass County". Jim Forte Postal History. Retrieved 29 August 2014.
- ^ Baker, Ronald L. (October 1995). From Needmore to Prosperity: Hoosier Place Names in Folklore and History. Indiana University Press. p. 51. ISBN 978-0-253-32866-3.
...the name probably comes from a Sioux adverb meaning "on both sides".