Bayang, Lanao del Sur
Map of Lanao del Sur showing the location of Bayang
|Region||Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (ARMM)|
|Province||Lanao del Sur|
|• Mayor||Maya Ampatua|
|• Total||230.00 km2 (88.80 sq mi)|
|• Density||93/km2 (240/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
|Population census of Bayang, Lanao del Sur|
|Source: National Statistics Office|
Battle of Bayang
In May 1902, during the Moro Rebellion (also known as the Moro–American War), Bayang was the site of a clash between Moro rebels and American troops that became known as the Battle of Bayang. The American troops, three infantry batallions and a battery of artillery totaling some 1200 men, were led to Bayang by colonel Frank Baldwin to demand the extradition of the Moros responsible for the ambushing and killing of two American soldiers at the construction of a road from Iligan to Lake Lanao, two months earlier.
When the sultan of Bayang refused, Baldwin's troops attacked and captured the nearby cotta (fortress; "small, castle-like structures with thick, high walls") of Binidayan on 2 May. They subsequently attempted to capture the cotta of Pandapatan, which resisted the artillery fire and was only subdued the next day after hand-to-hand combat between Moros and Americans. The number of Moro casualties is estimated at 300 to 400, including the sultan of Bayang and his brother. On the American side, ten soldiers were killed and some forty wounded.
Bayang is politically subdivided into 49 barangays.
- Bairan (Pob.)
- Bubong Lilod
- Bubong Raya
- Cadingilan Occidental
- Cadingilan Oriental
- Condaraan Pob. (Condaraan Dimadap)
- Lalapung Central
- Lalapung Proper (Pob.)
- Lalapung Upper
- Linuk (Pob.)
- Lumbac Cadayonan
- Poblacion (Bayang)
- Raya Cadayonan
- Samporna (Pob.)
- Sultan Pandapatan
- Sumbag (Pob.)
- Tangcal Proper (Pob.)
- Tomongcal Ligi
- Tuca (Pob.)
Schools in Bayang, Lanao del Sur
- Mauyag C. Papandayan National High School, Rinabor, Bayang, Lanao del Sur
- Bayang National High School, Biabi, Bayang, Lanao del Sur
- Dandamun Central Pilot School
- Diwan Central Elementary School
- Rantian Central Elementary School
- Sultan Pandapatan Central Elementary School
- Bubong Elementary School
- "Official City/Municipal 2013 Election Results". Intramuros, Manila, Philippines: Commission on Elections (COMELEC). 1 July 2013. Retrieved 5 September 2013.
- "Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay: as of May 1, 2010". 2010 Census of Population and Housing. National Statistics Office. Retrieved 6 October 2013.
- Antonio J. Montalvan II (13 May 2002). "The war that no one remembers". Philippine Daily Enquirer.
- Paul J. Springer (2009). "Bayang, Battle of". In Spencer Tucker. The Encyclopedia of the Spanish-American and Philippine-American Wars 1. ABC-CLIO. pp. 49–50.
- Alexander M. Bielakowski, ed. (2013). Ethnic and Racial Minorities in the U.S. Military. ABC-CLIO. p. 444.
- Philippine Standard Geographic Code
- 2000 Philippine Census Information
- 2007 Philippine Census Information
- Local Governance Performance Management System