Bien Unido, Bohol
Bien Unido Town Hall
Map of Bohol with Bien Unido highlighted
Map of Bien Unido showing barangays and islands
|Region||Central Visayas (Region VII)|
|District||2nd district of Bohol|
|• Type||Sangguniang Bayan|
|• Vice mayor||Rene Borenaga
(concurrently acting mayor since June 2017)
|• Town Council|
|• Representative||Erico Aristotle Aumentado|
|• Total||27.39 km2 (10.58 sq mi)|
|Population (2015 census)|
|• Density||990/km2 (2,600/sq mi)|
|• Voter (2016)||15,858|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
|IDD : area code||+63 (0)38|
|Income class||4th class|
Bien Unido is a 4th municipal income class municipality in the province of Bohol, Philippines. According to the 2015 census, it has a population of 27,115. In the 2016 electoral roll, it had 15,858 registered voters.
The name "Bien Unido" is a Spanish word translated to "well united" in English and is the youngest municipality in Bohol being founded in 1981 after it was carved out and separated from the municipalities of Trinidad and Talibon. Among the principal industries in Bien Unido are rice farming, seaweed farming, livestock farming, algaculture, fishing, and mat weaving. The town gained the nickname as the de facto Seaweeds Capital of the Visayas.
Bien Unido is 108 kilometres (67 mi) (2 hours or more) from Tagbilaran by road. Cebu City is approximately over 4 hours via the Cebu—Talibon or Cebu—Tubigon RORO, while it takes approximately 3 hours via the Cebu—Getafe ferry. Bien Unido can also be reached directly from Cebu City through Pasil fish port via ferry in more than 3 hours.
Bien Unido comprises 15 barangays. Of these, only Bilangbilangan Diot and Hingotanan East are classified as rural and the rest are urban.
|Population census of Bien Unido|
|Source: Philippine Statistics Authority|
- "Municipality". Quezon City, Philippines: Department of the Interior and Local Government. Retrieved 31 May 2013.
- "Municipal: Bien Unido, Bohol". PSGC Interactive. Quezon City, Philippines: Philippine Statistics Authority. Retrieved 8 January 2016.
- Census of Population (2015). "Region VII (Central Visayas)". Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay. PSA. Retrieved 20 June 2016.
- "2016 National and Local Elections Statistics". Commission on Elections. 2016.
- History of Bien Unido – Bohol-Philippines.com.
- Only in the Philippines: An Underwater Grotto in a Double-Barrier Reef! – ChoosePhilippines. January 2015
- Census of Population and Housing (2010). "Region VII (Central Visayas)". Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay. NSO. Retrieved 29 June 2016.
- Census of Population (1995, 2000 and 2007). "Region VII (Central Visayas)". Total Population by Province, City and Municipality. NSO. Archived from the original on 24 June 2011.
- "Province of Bohol". Municipality Population Data. Local Water Utilities Administration Research Division. Retrieved 17 December 2016.
- "List and Status Of Private Schools" (PDF). DepEd – Region VII. 22 January 2015. Retrieved 5 March 2015.
- "Catholic Educational Institutions". Roman Catholic Diocese of Talibon. 1 January 2014. Archived from the original on 2015-02-04. Retrieved 5 March 2015.
- "List of Elementary Schools". DepEd – Bohol. 1 January 2015. Retrieved 5 March 2015.