2018 double-spend attacks on Equihash-based cryptocurrencies
Between May and June, 2018, a number of cryptocurrencies based on Equihash algorithm and PoW consensus mechanism, Bitcoin Gold, ZenCash, Zcash and Litecoin Cash, suffered from 51% double-spend attacks.
Bitcoin Gold (BTG)
In May, 2018, unknown attackers successfully committed a double-spend attack on Bitcoin Gold, a forked cryptocurrency from Bitcoin in 2017. An amount of approximately $18.6 million USD worth of Bitcoin Gold was stolen.
On bitcoingold.org forum, the director of communications, Edward Iskra, wrote:
An unknown party with access to very large amounts of hashpower is trying to use “51% attacks” to perform “double spend” attacks to steal money from Exchanges. We have been advising all exchanges to increase confirmations and carefully review large deposits.
ZenCash announced its network suffered a from 51% attack on June 2 and executed migrations to increase the difficulty for attack:
The ZenCash network was the target of a 51% attack on 2 June at approximately 10:43 pm EDT (03 June 02:43 hrs UTC). The ZenCash team immediately executed mitigation procedures to significantly increase the difficulty of future attacks on the network.
Per zdnet.com reports, a website Crypto51 is setup to show the cost and difficulty to commit 51% double-spend attack for all PoW cryptocurrencies. In addition, a study by the University of Luxembourg found that up to 30% of the entire hashpower on Equihash-based coins were from high-efficiency ASIC miners, which could explain the unprecedented rise of successful attacks on algorithms once ASIC resistant.
- "Double Spend Attack on Exchanges". The Bitcoin Gold Community Forum. Retrieved 2018-06-05.
- "ZenCash Statement on Double Spend Attack - ZenCash". ZenCash. 2018-06-03. Retrieved 2018-06-05.
- "Blockchain's Once-Feared 51% Attack Is Now Becoming Regular - CoinDesk". CoinDesk. 2018-06-08. Retrieved 2018-06-09.
- "Bitcoin Gold loses millions as it is hit by a double spend attack". Fast Company. 2018-05-24. Retrieved 2018-05-27.
- Osborne, Charlie. "Bitcoin Gold suffers double spend attacks, $17.5 million lost | ZDNet". ZDNet. Retrieved 2018-05-27.
- "Responding to Attacks - Bitcoin Gold". Bitcoin Gold. 2018-05-24. Retrieved 2018-05-27.
- "Bitcoin Gold Responds to Recent Double Spend Attack". CCN. 2018-05-25. Retrieved 2018-05-27.
- Osborne, Charlie. "Bitcoin Gold suffers double spend attacks, $17.5 million lost | ZDNet". ZDNet. Retrieved 2018-06-09.
- "Cost of a 51% Attack for Different Cryptocurrencies | Crypto51". www.crypto51.app. Retrieved 2018-06-09.
- "University of Luxembourg: 30% of Equihash Hashrate is ASIC Miners, Enabling 51% Attacks - Chainstate". Chainstate. 2018-06-15. Retrieved 2018-06-16.
|This Internet-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|