|9th Lieutenant Governor of Maryland|
|Assumed office |
January 21, 2015
|Preceded by||Anthony G. Brown|
Boyd Kevin Rutherford
April 1, 1957
Washington, D.C., U.S.
|Education||Howard University (BA)|
University of Southern California (MA, JD)
Boyd Kevin Rutherford (born April 1, 1957) is an American Republican politician from Maryland who is the ninth and current Lieutenant Governor of Maryland, serving since January 21, 2015. Although Rutherford had never previously run for elective office, he has experience in both state and federal government. Rutherford was nominated by President George W. Bush to serve as Associate Administrator in the U.S. General Services Administration, serving from 2001 to 2003. Rutherford then joined the administration of Governor Bob Ehrlich, serving as the Secretary of General Services from 2003 to 2006. He was again appointed by President Bush to serve as Assistant Secretary for Administration to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, where he served from 2006 to 2009.
Early life and education
Rutherford was born in Washington, D.C. and graduated from Archbishop Carroll High School. He holds a bachelor's degree in economics and political science from Howard University, which he earned in 1979. In 1990, Rutherford earned both a law degree and a master's degree in communications management from the University of Southern California.
Rutherford is a member of the State Bars of California and Maryland, as well as the District of Columbia bar. He has practiced law in Southern California, Washington, D.C., and Baltimore. He has been serving since January 21, 2015.
In addition to his public service, Rutherford has a broad career in law and business. At the time of his election in 2014, Rutherford served as an attorney with the firm of Benton Potter & Murdock, which has offices in Maryland, Virginia, and the District of Columbia. Lt. Governor Rutherford, a successful attorney, served as Associate Administrator for the U.S. General Services Administration. During his time there, he worked with small businesses in government and improving the agency. Lt. Governor Rutherford served as the Secretary of the Maryland Department. He was responsible for over $900 million in annual contract administration, while finding creative ways to save the taxpayers of Maryland money and completing expansion of State buildings. Additionally, Lt. Governor Rutherford was nominated by George W. Bush as Assistant Secretary for Administration for the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), where he was able to save millions of taxpayer dollars. He has also worked in information technology sales, and small and minority business development. Rutherford previously served on the Baltimore City Brownfields Redevelopment Council and on the Board of the Corridor Transportation Corporation.
Political career and civic associations
Rutherford served on the Howard County Republican Central Committee from 1996 to 2002 and was a delegate to the Republican National Convention in 2000. From 2009 to 2011, Rutherford served as Chief Administrative Officer of the Republican National Committee.
Tenure as lieutenant governor
Rutherford is the third consecutive African American elected to the office of Lieutenant Governor in Maryland. While Governor Larry Hogan was going through treatment for lymphoma, Rutherford often acted as governor. In December 2015, he criticized fantasy football sites, voicing his opinion that they were gambling sites. As a candidate, Rutherford was noted as someone who would “make the trains run on time.” and for his focus on making the government more effective.
Rutherford and his wife Monica have three adult children.
- "Presidential Nomination: Boyd Kevin Rutherford". georgewbush-whitehouse.archives.gov. Retrieved 28 June 2019.
- BMore News Archived November 5, 2014, at the Wayback Machine
- Sherman, Trey. "9 Things to Know About Md. Lt. Gov. Boyd Rutherford". NBC4 Washington. Retrieved 28 June 2019.
- "Benton, Potter & Murdock, P.C." Retrieved 28 June 2019.
- "Lt. Governor Boyd Rutherford". governor.maryland.gov. Retrieved 28 June 2019.
- "Boyd K. Rutherford, Maryland Secretary of General Services". msa.maryland.gov. Retrieved 28 June 2019.
- Cornish, Stephanie. "Who is Boyd Rutherford? - Afro". Retrieved 28 June 2019.
- Weiner, Rachel (November 17, 2015). "Black Republicans lament state of the GOP". The Washington Post. Retrieved December 13, 2015.
- Baker, Tamela (December 10, 2015). "2015 was a challenging year for Gov. Larry Hogan". Herald-Mail Media. Retrieved December 13, 2015.
- Sherman, Trey (June 23, 2015). "9 Things to Know About Maryland Lieutenant Governor Boyd Rutherford". NBC Washington. Retrieved December 13, 2015.
- Dresser, Michael. "Rutherford known for 'making the trains run on time'". baltimoresun.com. Retrieved 28 June 2019.
- Sears, Bryan P. (December 10, 2015). "Martino holds up Mass. fantasy sports rules as national model". The Daily Record. Retrieved December 13, 2015.
Anthony G. Brown
| Lieutenant Governor of Maryland