|Public: RSE: BLRW|
|Products||Beer, soft drinks|
|Revenue||US$109.5 million (RWF:64.96 billion) (2011)|
|Aftertax:US$24.8 million (RWF:14.7 billion) (2011)|
|Total assets||US$146.1 million (RWF:107.2 billion) (2014)|
Number of employees
The history of Bralirwa goes back to 1957. The management of the breweries of the Congo and Burundi, then under the management of Brasseries de Leopoldville (Brewery of Kinshasa), decided to build another brewery in the Eastern region. The city of Gisenyi, on the northern shores of Lake Kivu, was selected to house the new brewery. Gisenyi was selected for two reasons: (a) It was easily accessible, by water, land and air and (b) Lake Kivu has a large quantity of proven reserves of methane gas, a source of alternative energy. The brewery became operational in 1959 and began producing Primus beer, the only brand produced until 1987. In 1987, a new premium local beer brand, Mützig was introduced. In 1989, Bralirwa began making Guinness under license.
In 1971, the Heineken Group, a Dutch brewing conglomerate, acquired a 70% majority share in Bralirwa. With the acquisition, Bralirwa greatly improved its brewing process. In 1974, Bralirwa diversified into the production of soft drinks. A soft beverages plant was opened in Kigali, Rwanda's capital and largest city. The brewer partnered with the Coca-Cola Company, which allowed Bralirwa to widen the range of products manufactured.
Today, Bralirwa is a regionally and internationally recognized brewer and soft beverage manufacturer with an expanding portfolio of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages.
The shares of stock of the company are listed on the Rwanda Stock Exchange (RSE), where they trade under the symbol BLRW. The Heineken Group owns 75% of the shares of the company. The remaining 25% are owned by individual and institutional investors. In December 2009, the Government of Rwanda successfully divested from the company by selling 5% shareholding directly to the Heineken Group and by listing the remaining 25% on the RSE, through an Initial Public Offering (IPO). As of February 2011[update], the ownership of the company stock is as depicted in the table below:
|Rank||Name of Owner||Percentage Ownership|
|3||Institutional and Private Investors via RSE||25.0|
As of December 2015, the top management at Bralirwa includes the following individuals:
- Jonathan Hall - Managing Director
- Philip Ejiofor - Financial Director
- Eugene TWAHIRWA, Company Secretary
- Jan van Velzen, Marketing Director
- Daaf Jacobus van TILBURG, Sales Director
- Pascal Karangwa, Technical Director
- Sonia KUBWIMANA, Human Resource Director
- Célestin BIGILIMANA, Internal Audit Manager
The Bralirwa brewery is located in Gisenyi, approximately 158 kilometres (98 mi), by road, west of Kigali, Rwanda's capital city. The administrative headquarters of the company are located in Kigali. Also located in Kigali is the Soft Beverages Plant, where Coca-Cola carbonated beverages of are manufactured under license.
In May 2011, press reports indicated that the company was in the process of establishing a new soft drinks manufacturing line at the company's plant in Kicukiro, a suburb of Kigali, and upgrading its brewing plant in Gisenyi.
The brands manufactured by Bralirwa include:
- Turbo King
- Mützig, a 5.5% ABV lager sold in 65cl, 50cl and 33cl bottles; launched in 1987.
- Mützig Lite
- Herbling, David (15 May 2012). "Rwandan brewer records 42 percent growth in net profit". Business Daily Africa. Nairobi. Retrieved 22 December 2015.
- RIC (December 2014). "Bralirwa Annual Financial Balance Sheets: 2010 - 2014". Rwandaninvestor.com (RIC). Retrieved 22 December 2015.
- BRC (22 December 2015). "History and Background Information". Kigali: Bralirwa.com (BRC). Retrieved 22 December 2015.
- Kezio-Musoke, David (14 December 2009). "Cheers! Bralirwa to launch first IPO in Rwanda". The EastAfrican. Nairobi. Retrieved 22 December 2015.
- Gachiri, John (7 February 2011). "Interest in Rwanda bourse rises as second IPO planned". Business Daily Africa. Nairobi. Retrieved 22 December 2015.
- "Rwanda: Bralirwa IPO a Success - Finance Minister". New Times (Rwanda) via AllAfrica.com. Kigali. 18 December 2010. Retrieved 22 December 2015.
- BRC (22 December 2015). "Bralirwa Senior Management, December 2015". Kigali: Bralirwa.com (BRC). Retrieved 22 December 2015.
- GFC (22 December 2015). "Road Distance Between Kigali and Gisenyi With Map". Globefeed.com (GFC). Retrieved 22 December 2015.
- RBC (22 December 2015). "Mützig Beer - Rwanda". Ratebeer.com (RBC). Retrieved 22 December 2015.
- Bralirwa Homepage[permanent dead link]
- Heineken Homepage
- Rwanda’s Bralirwa Gets KSh2.5 Billion Loan To Fund Expansion