Commando Training Centre Royal Marines
|Commando Training Centre Royal Marines|
Entrance to Commando Training Centre Royal Marines
Location within Devon
|Type||Royal Marines Base|
|Owner||Ministry of Defence|
Commando Training Centre Royal Marines (CTCRM) is the principal military training centre for the Royal Marines. It is situated near the villages of Lympstone and Exton, between the city of Exeter, and the town of Exmouth in Devon. The centre delivers new entry training to recruits.
The site was established in 1940 as the "Royal Marines Depot Exton" and was renamed the "Royal Marines Depot Lympstone" later in the Second World War. In February 1960 the Commando School Royal Marines, which had been based at Bickleigh Barracks, moved to the site. The site was renamed the "Commando Training Centre Royal Marines" in 1972.
CTCRM is under the full command of Fleet Commander and Deputy Chief of Naval Operations, and responsible for providing commando trained officers and other ranks for the front line. CTCRM is overseen by the Commandant CTCRM, a colonel, Royal Marines. CTCRM is structured with three training wings (Command Wing, Commando Training Wing and Specialist Wing) each with its own commanding officer.
Candidates for the RM are required to attend the Potential Royal Marine Course (PRMC), held at CTCRM, in addition to academic, medical and interview assessments for candidates to the British armed forces. PRMC lasts four days and assesses physical ability and intellectual capacity to undertake the recruit training. New entry training for Royal Marines other ranks (the "commando course") is undertaken at CTCRM, Woodbury Common and Dartmoor and is conducted over thirty-two weeks. Candidates who pass the commando course receive the award of the green beret, the distinguishing mark of a commando.
- "75 years of Commando Training at Lympstone". Royal Navy. 23 February 2015. Retrieved 13 May 2016.
- "Royal Marines History" (PDF). Marine Society and Sea Cadet Marine Cadet Section. Retrieved 19 November 2016.
- "RMITC / CTCRM - Lympstone". Exeter Flotilla. Retrieved 20 November 2016.
- "Commando Training Centre". Royal Navy. Retrieved 13 May 2016.
- "Getting Ready to be a Royal Marines Commando". Retrieved 13 May 2016.
- FOI request sent through Whatdotheyknow
- "Lympstone Division RMVCC". Retrieved 6 April 2017.