Caitlin Leverenz, October 2014
|National team||United States|
February 26, 1991 |
|Height||5 ft 8 in (1.73 m)|
|Weight||160 lb (73 kg)|
|Strokes||Breaststroke, individual medley|
|College team||University of California, Berkeley|
Caitlin Leverenz (born February 26, 1991) is an American competition swimmer who specializes in breaststroke and medley events. She was a member of the 2012 United States Olympic team, and won the bronze medal in the 200-meter individual medley events at the 2012 Summer Olympics.
Leverenz was born in Tucson, Arizona. She attended Sahuaro High School in Tucson, and was a member of the Sahauro Cougars high school swim team and was one of the top college swimming recruits in the nation as a high school senior. She also trained with and swam for the El Dorado Aquatics Club in Tucson.
Leverenz received an athletic scholarship to attend the University of California, Berkeley, where she currently swims for coach Teri McKeever's California Golden Bears swimming and diving team in National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) competition. At the NCAA national championships in 2011, she swam the breaststroke legs for the Golden Bears' winning relay teams in the 4x50-yard and 4x100-yard medley relay events; the Bears set a new American and NCAA record time of 1:35.03 in the 4x50 medley. At the 2012 NCAA national championships, she again was a member of the Bears' winning 4x50-yard and 4x100-yard medley relay teams, as well as winning individual national championships in the 200-yard individual medley and the 200-yard breaststroke events. She has been a key contributor to the Golden Bears winning two of the last three NCAA national team championships, and will be a senior during the 2012–13 school year. She was the recipient of the Honda Sports Award for Swimming and Diving, recognizing her as the outstanding college female swimmer of 2011–12.
Leverenz represented the United States in Brazil for World Youth Championships, and in the Mutual of Omaha Duel in the Pool. She won the gold medal and broke the meet record in the 200-meter breaststroke at the 2007 Pan American Games. At the United States Swimming National Championships in 2007, she won the U.S. championship in the 400-meter individual medley.
At the 2008 U.S. Olympic Trials, she placed fourth in both the 200-meter and 400-meter individual medley. She also finished third in the 200-meter breaststroke, just missing out on making the 2008 U.S. Olympic Team.
2012 Summer Olympic Games
At the 2012 United States Olympic Trials in Omaha, Nebraska, the U.S. qualifying meet for the Olympics, Leverenz made the U.S. Olympic team by finishing first in the 200-meter individual medley and second in the 400-meter individual medley. Leverenz also competed in the 200-meter breaststroke, but finished in eighth place in the final.
At the 2012 Summer Olympics in London, she won her first Olympic medal, a bronze, in the finals of the 200-meter individual medley. She also competed in the 400-meter individual medley, and tied for sixth in the finals.
- California Golden Bears
- List of Olympic medalists in swimming (women)
- List of United States records in swimming
- List of University of California, Berkeley alumni
- Collegiate Women Sports Awards, Past Honda Sports Award Winners for Swimming & Diving. Retrieved December 4, 2014.
- "Pierse swims to 2 silvers at Pan Am Games". CBC Sports. July 22, 2007. Retrieved 2007-12-17.
- John Lohn (August 1, 2007). [http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/lane9/news/ 15324.asp "USA Swimming Nationals: Caitlin Leverenz Wins Women's 400 individual medley"] Check
value (help). Swimming World. Retrieved 2007-12-18. line feed character in
|url=at position 49 (help)
- "Phelps back in grand style at US titles". People's Daily. August 3, 2007. Retrieved 2007-12-17.
- Ryan Rocker (August 8, 2007). "Tucson will be well represented at the 2008 Olympic Games". KVOA. Retrieved 2007-12-17.
- "Top Times Clocked at USA Swimming's Long Course Invitational". Swimming World. December 4, 2007. Retrieved 2007-12-18.
- Caitlin Leverenz – National Team swimmer bio at USASwimming.org
- Caitlin Leverenz – University of California athlete profile at CalBears.com