New South Wales
Wowly Gully in northern Callala Bay
|Population||2,196 (2016 census)|
|Elevation||13 m (43 ft)|
|LGA(s)||City of Shoalhaven|
|State electorate(s)||South Coast|
The town is situated on the northern shore of Jervis Bay about 20 minutes drive from Nowra and 10 minutes from Culburra Beach. Callala Bay has an approximate elevation of 13 metres (43 ft) above sea level, and is located inland from Callala Point, a headland facing the Tasman Sea. Nearby settlements include Callala Beach and Myola to the south-west, Currarong to the south-east and Culburra Beach to the north-east.
Local facilities and community activities include:
- a safe harbour
- sailing club
- boat ramp
- medical centre
- primary school
- child care and pre-school centre
- faith groups
- soccer club
- skateboard park
- netball/basketball courts
- community centre (available for hire)
- NSW Rural Fire Service - Callala Bay
- a small shopping centre (Australia Post, supermarket, chemist, baker, butcher, cafe, take away, real estate agents, cellars)
- shared pathway around the headland
- small group activities (aqua exercise group, craft, folk dance, yoga, over 50's social group, garden club, Writers, Bushcare)
- regular bus service to Nowra, including for high school students.
Callala Bay is a short drive or flat bike ride from the popular Club Callala (Callala RSL Country Club) which hosts a challenging 18 hole golf course, two bowling greens, great food and nightly entertainment.
Sport and recreation
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Callala Bay (State Suburb)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 9 July 2017.
- "Map of 35° 00.000' S 150° 43.250' E near Callala Bay". Retrieved 29 March 2008.
- "Callala Point (NSW)". Gazetteer of Australia online. Geoscience Australia, Australian Government.