Chantilly High School
This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This article may contain improper references to self-published sources. (April 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This article needs to be updated.(August 2014)
|Chantilly High School|
4201 Stringfellow Road|
Chantilly, Virginia 20151
|School type||Public, high school|
|School district||Fairfax County Public Schools|
|Principal||Dr. Scott Poole|
|Color(s)||Purple and white|
Centreville High School|
Westfield High School
Oakton High School
|Newspaper||The Purple Tide|
Franklin Middle School|
Rocky Run Middle School
Rachel Carson Middle School
Chantilly High School is home to Chantilly Academy, which provides vocational training for students in the school district who wish to become cooks, mechanics, or beauticians, or to work in the hotel, tourist or other trades. A team from the Academy participates in the FIRST Robotics Competition.[not in citation given]
Chantilly High School is a fully accredited high school based on the Standards of Learning tests in Virginia. The average SAT score in 2006 for Chantilly was 1628 (535 in Critical Reading, 565 in Math, and 528 in Writing). As of 2011, Chantilly High School students exceeded state average SOL scores for all major exam categories. [not in citation given]
In March 2006, Thomas Newlun, 53, a special education teacher, allegedly gave a small amount of marijuana to a 17-year-old student during a break between classes. Newlun was charged with distribution of marijuana to a minor, drug distribution on school property and contributing to the delinquency of a minor.
On 11 January 2008, Spanish teacher Matthew McGuire was arrested on charges of using his computer to solicit sex with a minor. McGuire also coached track at Chantilly. Arlington County police said they arrested McGuire at his Alexandria home after investigating his online activities for several months. According to Alexandria court records, a detective posing as a 13-year-old girl named Jessica had several conversations with McGuire between March and December 2007.
- Rob Balder, syndicated cartoonist, graphic novel author and comedy musician
- Keith Gary, former defensive end for the Pittsburgh Steelers. Also played in the CFL
- Bhawoh Jue, NFL football player drafted by the Green Bay Packers, played for five teams.
- Mike Kohn, U.S. Olympic bobsledder, won Bronze medal in Salt Lake Winter Games 2002, competed in Vancouver Olympics 2010.
- Joe Koshansky, Milwaukee Brewers
- Jon Link, pitcher for the Los Angeles Dodgers
- Sean Parker, co-founder of Napster, founder of Plaxo, and former president of Facebook
- Scott Secules, was an NFL quarterback (1988–93) drafted by the Dallas Cowboys who played most of his career with the Miami Dolphins and New England Patriots.
- Brian Snyder, former Major League Baseball pitcher for the Seattle Mariners and Oakland Athletics.
- Yoochun Park, ex-member of South Korean pop group Dong Bang Shin Ki, now JYJ.
- "Chantilly High". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved 30 December 2017.
- "Chantilly CDP, Virginia Archived 28 June 2009 at the Wayback Machine.." United States Census Bureau. Retrieved on 30 April 2009.
- MSN.com Archived 15 July 2007 at the Wayback Machine. Newsweek: 2003 List: The Top High Schools
- FCPS.edu Archived 27 June 2009 at the Wayback Machine. Chantilly Academy – Courses
- "index". chantillyrobotics.org.
- "FCPS - School Profiles - Chantilly HS - Demographics". schoolprofiles.fcps.edu.
- "Explore Chantilly High School in Chantilly, VA". GreatSchools.org.
- Glod, Maria (21 March 2006). "Teacher Gave Drug To Teen, Police Say" – via www.washingtonpost.com.
- Vargas, Theresa (11 January 2008). "N.Va. Teacher Accused of Using Computer to Seek Sex With Teen" – via www.washingtonpost.com.
- Adam Toobin (22 December 2008). "#36, Balder, Rob, Filk Performer Balder Wins Pegasus Award". CentreView. Archived from the original on 13 August 2011. Retrieved 10 November 2009.
- "Keith Gary Stats - Pro-Football-Reference.com". Pro-Football-Reference.com.
- Paul Frommelt (3 August 2006). "#35, Bhawoh Jue, Chantilly Football, 1997". Arlington Connection. Archived from the original on 18 December 2011. Retrieved 21 October 2009.
- "USA Bobsled and Skeleton Federation - Features, Events, Results - Team USA".
- "Joe Koshansky Stats - Baseball-Reference.com". Baseball-Reference.com.
- "Jon Link Stats - Baseball-Reference.com". Baseball-Reference.com.
- "Genius from Class '96". Retrieved 20 February 2011.
- "Scott Secules". ESPN.com.
- "Brian Snyder Stats | Baseball-Reference.com". Baseball-Reference.com. Retrieved 13 April 2018.
- Kang, Cecilia. "Riding the Seoul Train". The Washington Post.