|Country of origin||Scotland|
|Variants||12 year old, 18 year old, 25 year old|
Chivas Regal (//) is a blended Scotch whisky produced by Chivas Brothers, which is part of Pernod Ricard. Chivas Regal traces its roots back to 1801. Chivas Regal's home is Strathisla distillery at Keith, Moray in Speyside, Scotland, the oldest operating Highland distillery, which was founded in 1786.
It is the market-leading Scotch whisky 12 years and above in Europe and Asia Pacific. Chivas Regal sales grew by 61% between 2002 and 2008. In global terms, Chivas Regal recorded volume sales of 4.9 million nine-litre cases in 2012 and 2013 but sales have decreased steadily since, dropping to 4.4 million cases in 2015.
- Chivas Regal 12: Blended from whiskies matured for at least 12 years.
- Chivas Regal Extra: a blend with a higher proportion of sherry casks.
- Chivas Regal 18: Blended from whiskies matured for at least 18 years.
- Chivas Regal 25: Created using whiskies aged at least 25 years; available only in limited quantities.
- The Chivas Brothers' Blend: A 12-year-old blend intended to reflect the original Chivas house style, with a predominance of Speyside malts, in particular Strathisla and Longmorn.
- Chivas Regal Ultis: A blended malt whisky containing no grain whisky.
- Chivas Regal The Icon: Blended from whiskies matured for at least 25 years. Launched in 2015 initially as a Dubai Travel Retail exclusive. This blend is sold in a hand-blown Dartington Crystal decanter crafted from green glass.
Brothers James and John Chivas, from near Ellon, opened a grocery store at 13 King Street, Aberdeen, in 1801. The store sold luxury foodstuffs such as coffee, exotic spices, French brandies, and Caribbean rums to a wealthy clientele. In 1842, Chivas Brothers was retained to supply provisions to the royal family at Balmoral Castle upon Queen Victoria's first visit to Scotland.
In 1843, Chivas Brothers was granted a Royal Warrant to supply goods to Queen Victoria. The May 8, 1890 edition of Scotland Magazine described Chivas Brothers as "undoubtedly the finest purveying business in the north of Scotland".
During the 1850s James Chivas decided to respond to his affluent customers' demands for a smoother whisky, by beginning to blend whiskies to create a blend proprietary to Chivas Brothers. The firm's first blended Scotch whisky, Royal Glen Dee, was launched, followed in the 1860s by a second proprietary blended Scotch whisky, Royal Strathythan.
In the early 1900s, Chivas Brothers decided to create its most aged blended Scotch whisky to export to the United States, where the booming economy after the turn of the century was fueling demand for luxury goods. The whisky was named Chivas Regal.
Chivas Regal was purchased by Seagrams in 1949, which enabled a much wider distribution and marketing system.
In 1950, the company was able to buy the Strathisla Distillery, which produces the Strathisla single malt whisky used in the Chivas Regal blend.
Chivas Regal was re-launched as Chivas Regal 12 year old in the US following the disruption of both Prohibition and World War II. Chivas became a fashionable brand of the era, and became associated with Frank Sinatra and the rest of the Rat Pack. Chivas Regal was the Scotch whisky requested by Sinatra, along with other spirits brands backstage at performances, and Chivas sponsored his Diamond Jubilee Tour in 1990.
In 1997, the Chivas Regal range was expanded with the launch of longer aged whiskies, with the launch of Chivas Regal 18 year old, and in 2007 with the launch of Chivas Regal 25.
The home of Chivas Regal and location of its visitor centre is located at the Strathisla distillery. The distillery was founded in 1786, and is the oldest working distillery in the Highlands of Scotland, located in Speyside. The Strathisla distillery is owned by Chivas Brothers, and Strathisla single malt is one of the malt whiskies used within the Chivas Regal blend. Strathisla single malts have a natural sweetness and help to define the taste of Chivas Regal.
Chivas Regal whiskies have performed well at international spirit ratings competitions. In 2013, the San Francisco World Spirits Competition jury awarded its Double Gold Medals to the Chivas Regal 18yr, 21yr and 25yr whiskies.
San Francisco World Spirits Competition annual ratings
|Chivas Regal 18yr Gold Signature Blended Scotch Whisky||Gold||Double||Silver||Double-Gold||Bronze||-||Gold||Gold||Double-Gold|
|Chivas Regal 21yr Royal Salute Blended Scotch Whisky||Silver||Double-Gold||Silver||Silver||Silver||-||Gold||Gold||Double-Gold|
|Chivas Regal 25yr Original Blended Scotch Whisky||-||-||-||Double-Gold||-||-||Double-Gold||Double-Gold||Double-Gold|
In popular culture and sponsorships
In the 1973 film The Exorcist, the character Father Dyer brings this whisky for Father Karass to drink after the death of his mother. They share it and he remarks "Chivas Regal! Where'd you get the money for it—out of the poor box?"
Within the first six minutes of the film The Spook Who Sat by the Door (1973), the top 10 African-American candidates for the CIA "spook" position toast to their success to that point, and one notes the Chivas Regal they are drinking costs $3.
In Working Girl, from 1988, savvy New York City receptionist Tess McGill played by Melanie Griffith orders a "Chivas" during an engagement party for her friend Cynthia (Joan Cusack), immediately prior to a proposal from her boyfriend Mick Dugan played by Alec Baldwin.
In the Mad Men season 6 episode, "The Better Half", Ted Chaough compares Fleishchmann's margarine to Chivas Regal (because it's a relatively expensive brand of margarine), while Don Draper compares it to Ballantine Beer (because he compares margarine to butter).
In the American Dad! season 6 episode, "Spring Break-Up", Roger (as "Scotch Bingington") invites Spring Breakers to party at the Smith household. As the self-proclaimed "King of Spring Break," he has a staff that dispenses Chivas Regal.
Author Hunter S. Thompson frequently mentions Chivas Regal as one of his favorite liquors throughout his works.
- Top 30 Liquor Brands
- Annual Report 2007/8, p.24 "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2008-11-14. Retrieved 2009-05-17.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link) and Annual Report 2006/7, p.20 "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2009-03-20. Retrieved 2009-05-17.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link).
- "Chivas Regal whisky's global sales volume". statista. Retrieved 29 August 2016.
- "Chivas Regal Unveils Chivas Regal 25 Year Old As A Tribute To The World's First Luxury Blended Scotch Whisky". Drinks Media Wire. 2007-10-01. Archived from the original on 2010-10-29. Retrieved 2008-09-12.
- "WHY DOES THIS BOTTLE OF WHISKY COST OVER £2,000?". GQ Magazine. 2015-07-06. Retrieved 2016-10-07.
- "THE STORY OF CHIVAS REGAL". 25 August 2016.
- "Royal Strathythan - Scotch Whisky". scotchwhisky.com.
- Scotland of Today (May 3, 1890)
- F. Paul Pacult (2005). A Double Scotch. John Wiley & Sons. ISBN 0-471-66271-2.
- Celebrities and VIPs celebrate the launch of Chivas Regal 25-Year-Old Scotch Whisky. Lastheplace.com (2007-10-15). Retrieved on 2013-12-23.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-07-17. Retrieved 2010-03-23.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Chivas Regal" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2009-03-11. Retrieved 2008-09-12.
- Mervis, Scott (1999-01-08). "Catering company dishes out fine food and gossip in 'Backstage Passes'". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
- Chivas Regal 25 year old: a star is (re)born – 29/09/07 Archived 2011-07-14 at the Wayback Machine. TheMoodieReport.com. Retrieved on 2013-12-23.
- Pernod Ricard to acquire Seagram Spirits & Wine jointly with Diageo, PR Newswire 2000
- "2013 Results by Brand" (PDF). San Francisco World Spirits Competition. Archived from the original (PDF) on 1 November 2013. Retrieved 22 August 2013.
- "Search results for Chivas Brothers - Strathisla Distillery". Proof66.com. Retrieved 20 March 2013.
- Relevant clip from The Spook Who Sat By the Door
- Yount, Stacey (19 October 2011). "Akshay Kumar, Asha Bhosle and Jay Sean and many others honored at the Asian Awards".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Chivas Regal.|
- Chivas Regal
- Strathisla Distillery, home of Chivas Regal
- Whisky Distilleries
- Strathisla Distillery
- Pernod Ricard Parent Company Homepage
- Proof66.com Chivas Regal 18-Year Summary Page
- Proof66.com Chivas Regal 21-Year Summary Page