|Country of origin||Scotland|
|Variants||12 Year Old, 18 Year Old, 25 year Old|
Chivas Regal / / is a Blended Scotch Whisky produced by Chivas Brothers, which is part of Pernod Ricard. Chivas Regal traces its roots back to 1801. Chivas Regal's home is Strathisla distillery at Keith, Moray in Speyside, Scotland, the oldest operating Highland distillery, which was founded in 1786.
It is the market-leading scotch whisky 12 years and above in Europe and Asia Pacific. Chivas Regal sales grew by 61 per cent between 2002 and 2008. In global terms, Chivas Regal recorded volume sales of 4.9 million nine litre cases in 2012 and 2013 but sales have decreased steadily since, dropping to 4.4 million cases in 2015.
Chivas Regal line
- Chivas Regal Extra: a new no-age-statement expression with a higher proportion of sherry casks and priced between the 12- and 18-year-old expressions.
- Chivas Regal 12 Year Old: Blended from whiskies matured for at least 12 years.
- The Chivas Brothers' Blend: Launched in 2012 as a Duty Free exclusive. This new blend pays tribute to the pioneering art of blending and the Chivas house style, with a predominance of Speyside malts, in particular Strathisla and Longmorn.
- Chivas Regal 18 Year Old: Blended from whiskies matured for at least 18 years. Chivas 18 is a rich and multi-layered blend that includes over twenty of Scotland’s rarest single malt Scotch whiskies. Winner of multiple Gold awards at the International Wine & Spirits Competition and the San Francisco World Spirits Competition.
- Chivas Regal 25 Year Old: Created using whiskies aged at least 25 years; available only in limited quantities with a retail price of c$300.
Chivas Brothers traces its roots to the opening of a grocery store at 13 King St, Aberdeen in 1801. The store sold luxury foodstuffs such as coffee, exotic spices, French brandies, and Caribbean rums to a wealthy clientele. In 1842, Chivas Brothers was retained to supply provisions to the royal family at Balmoral Castle upon Queen Victoria's first visit to Scotland.
In 1843, Chivas Brothers was granted a Royal Warrant to supply goods to Queen Victoria. The May 8, 1890 edition of Scotland Magazine described Chivas Brothers as "undoubtedly the finest purveying business in the north of Scotland".
During the 1850s James Chivas decided to respond to his affluent customers' demands for a smoother whisky, by beginning to blend whiskies to create a blend proprietary to Chivas Brothers. The firm's first blended Scotch whisky, Royal Glen Dee, was launched, followed in the 1860s by a second proprietary blended Scotch whisky, Royal Strathythan.
In the early 1900s, Chivas Brothers decided to create its most aged blended Scotch whisky to export to the U.S, where the booming economy after the turn of the century was fueling demand for luxury goods. The whisky was named Chivas Regal.
Chivas Regal was purchased by Seagrams in 1949, which enabled a much wider distribution and marketing system.
In 1950, the company Chivas Brothers was able to buy the Strathisla Distillery, which produces the Strathisla single malt whisky used in the Chivas Regal blend.
Chivas Regal was re-launched as Chivas Regal 12 year old in the US following the disruption of both Prohibition and World War II. Chivas became a fashionable brand of the era, and became associated with Frank Sinatra and the rest of the Rat Pack. Chivas Regal was the Scotch whisky requested by Sinatra, along with other spirits brands backstage at performances, and Chivas sponsored Frank Sinatra's Diamond Jubilee Tour in 1990.
In 1997, the Chivas Regal range was expanded with the launch of longer aged whiskies, with the launch of Chivas Regal 18 year old, and in 2007 with the launch of Chivas Regal 25.
The home of Chivas Regal and location of its visitor centre is located at the Strathisla distillery. The distillery was founded in 1786, and is the oldest working distillery in the Highlands of Scotland, located in Speyside. The Strathisla distillery is owned by Chivas Brothers, and Strathisla single malt is one of the malt whiskies used within the Chivas Regal blend. Strathisla single malts have a natural sweetness and help to define the taste of Chivas Regal.
Chivas Regal as a sponsor and in popular culture
Within the first six minutes of the film The Spook Who Sat By the Door (1973), the top 10 African American candidates for the CIA "spook" position toast to their success to that point, and one notes the Chivas Regal they are drinking costs $3.
In 2008, Chivas Regal launched a new global advertising campaign, to run across all continents. "Live with Chivalry" was created by the Euro RSCG advertising agency. The campaign features TV, press, and outdoor advertising.
Chivas Regal is featured in several episodes of the TV series Banshee, among many others episode 5, season 2.
In the Mad Men season 6 episode, "The Better Half", Ted Chaough compares Fleishchmann's margarine to Chivas Regal (because it's a relatively expensive brand of margarine), while Don Draper compares it to Ballantine Beer (because he compares margarine to butter).
In the Bollywood film Shahenshah the main villain JK drinks Chivas regal.
In Tom Waits' song "Downtown": "Drinking Chivas Regal in a four dollar room"
Author Hunter S. Thompson frequently mentions Chivas Regal as one of his favorite liquors throughout his works.
Chivas Regal whiskies have performed well at international spirit ratings competitions. In 2013, the San Francisco World Spirits Competition jury awarded its Double Gold Medals to the Chivas Regal 18yr, 21yr and 25yr whiskies.
San Francisco World Spirits Competition annual ratings
|Chivas Regal 18yr Gold Signature Blended Scotch Whisky||Gold||Double||Silver||Double-Gold||Bronze||-||Gold||Gold||Double-Gold|
|Chivas Regal 21yr Royal Salute Blended Scotch Whisky||Silver||Double-Gold||Silver||Silver||Silver||-||Gold||Gold||Double-Gold|
|Chivas Regal 25yr Original Blended Scotch Whisky||-||-||-||Double-Gold||-||-||Double-Gold||Double-Gold||Double-Gold|
- The Power 100
- Annual Report 2007/8, p.24  and Annual Report 2006/7, p.20 .
- "Chivas Regal whisky's global sales volume". statista. Retrieved 29 August 2016.
- "Chivas Regal Unveils Chivas Regal 25 Year Old As A Tribute To The World's First Luxury Blended Scotch Whisky". Drinks Media Wire. 2007-10-01. Retrieved 2008-09-12.
- Scotland of Today (May 3, 1890)
- F. Paul Pacult (2005). A Double Scotch. John Wiley & Sons. ISBN 0-471-66271-2.
- Celebrities and VIPs celebrate the launch of Chivas Regal 25-Year-Old Scotch Whisky. Lastheplace.com (2007-10-15). Retrieved on 2013-12-23.
- "Chivas Regal" (PDF). Retrieved 2008-09-12.
- Mervis, Scott (1999-01-08). "Catering company dishes out fine food and gossip in 'Backstage Passes'". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
- Chivas Regal 25 year old: a star is (re)born – 29/09/07. TheMoodieReport.com. Retrieved on 2013-12-23.
- Pernod Ricard to acquire Seagram Spirits & Wine jointly with Diageo, PR Newswire 2000
- Relevant clip from The Spook Who Sat By the Door
- Chival Regal Sponsors The Asian Awards
- "2013 Results by Brand" (PDF). San Francisco World Spirits Competition. Retrieved 22 August 2013.
- "Search results for Chivas Brothers - Strathisla Distillery". Proof66.com. Retrieved 20 March 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Chivas Regal.|
- Chivas Regal
- Strathisla Distillery, home of Chivas Regal
- Whisky Distilleries
- Strathisla Distillery
- Pernod Ricard Parent Company Homepage
- Proof66.com Chivas Regal 18-Year Summary Page
- Proof66.com Chivas Regal 21-Year Summary Page