Simpson at the ARIA Music Awards of 2013
|Birth name||Cody Robert Simpson|
11 January 1997 |
Gold Coast, QLD, Australia
|Occupation(s)||Singer/songwriter, musician, and dancer|
|Instruments||Vocals, guitar and piano|
Simpson was born in Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia, to Brad and Angie Simpson. He has two younger siblings, Tom and Alli. Simpson has won two gold medals at the Queensland Swimming Championships. Simpson trained at the Miami Swimming Club under coach Ken Nixon. Simpson's mother Angie worked as a volunteer at the club.
Simpson began to record songs in his bedroom during the summer of 2009 on YouTube, performing "I'm Yours" by Jason Mraz, "Cry Me a River" and "Señorita" by Justin Timberlake, "I Want You Back" by The Jackson 5, and his own songs, "One" and "Perfect". He was subsequently discovered on YouTube by Shawn Campbell.
2009–11: Career beginnings, 4 U, and Coast to Coast
Simpson's rise to recognition was featured on The 7.30 Report in December 2009. He released his debut single, "iYiYi" (which features American rapper Flo Rida), on 15 May 2010. The music video for Simpson's second single, "Summertime", was released on 20 September 2010. Simpson relocated to Los Angeles in June 2010 with his family to record his songs with Atlantic Records Shawn Campbell. That same month, Simpson appeared on Sunrise. On 22 June 2010, it was announced that Simpson would participate in the Camplified 2010 Tour, along with other artists, touring across the United States. The tour began on 5 July 2010 and ended on 14 August 2010. Other tours that year included a middle school tour that took place from October–November 2010 and covered 9 U.S states. An EP, 4 U was released on 21 December 2010. The EP included five tracks in total, four of them being previously unreleased. Simpson recorded a remake of the song "I Want Candy" by The Strangeloves as the main theme song for the Easter-themed live-action/CGI-animated film Hop. In May 2011, Simpson was "egged" during a live performance at Westfield Miranda in Sydney. Simpson told Australian radio show The Kyle & Jackie O Show that he was not in fact hit by the eggs, and that he was upset on behalf of his fans because the remainder of his show was cancelled because of security concerns.
Coast to Coast was released on 20 September 2011 by Alantic Records. It reached number 12 on Billboard 200 selling 24,000 copies. On 23 April 2011, Simpson released the single "On My Mind" on 23 May 2011. On 5 August 2011, he performed on The Today Show. On 6 August 2011 Simpson started his Coast to Coast Mall Tour in Lake Grove, New York to promote his second EP. He played nine dates around the United States and finished it in Orange, California on 18 September 2011. On 22 September, it was announced that Cody Simpson hired Justin Bieber's manager, Scooter Braun as his manager. In December 2011, The Wish Factory released a Cody Simpson doll in two formats.
2012–2014: Paradise, Surfers Paradise and Dancing with the Stars
On 12 June 2012, Simpson released an EP titled Preview to Paradise containing four songs from his upcoming debut studio album, Paradise, which was released on 2 October 2012. In February 2013, Simpson toured Europe, doing his own tour dates as well as supporting Justin Bieber on many of the European Believe tour dates. Surfers Paradise, which was released on 16 July 2013, is Simpson's first album to debut in the Top 10 of the Billboard 200. During summer of 2013, Simpson headlined the Paradise Tour, featuring opening acts Ryan Beatty and Before You Exit. On 19 November 2013, Simpson released an acoustic album called The Acoustic Sessions, featuring the songs "Pretty Brown Eyes", "All Day", "La Da Dee", "Wish U Were Here", and a cover of "Please Come Home for Christmas" recorded acoustically.
On 4 March 2014, Simpson was announced as one of the celebrities to participate on the 18th season of Dancing with the Stars during ABC's Good Morning America. He was partnered with professional dancer Witney Carson. He was eliminated on Week 5 of the competition and finished in 9th place.
In August 2014 Simpson announced he had departed Warner/Atlantic. He cited creative differences as the reason for his departure and as a result is currently unsigned.
Cody's fifth EP, Free was scheduled to be released on June 23, 2015 then was pushed back to July 10. Simpson performed the first single, "Flower" on Good Morning America on 6 February 2015. Its his first album as an independent artist since leaving Atlantic Records to create his own label, Coast House. He will release five songs in the next couple of months. The album was produced by Cisco Adler and includes songwriting collaborations with G. Love and Donavon Frankenreiter. John Mayer served as a sounding board.
In October 2014 it was announced that Cody will be guest starring on an American television sitcom Cougar Town when the show returns in 2015. He will be portraying the character of a high school student Pete.
Simpson briefly dated model Gigi Hadid but in May 2014, they had reportedly broken up due to their busy schedules. They got back together in November 2014, and celebrated New Year together in Dubai. In 2014 and 2015, Hadid appeared in the videos for his songs "Surfboard" and "Flower" respectively.
On 9 May 2015, news reported Gigi Hadid and Cody Simpson split up again.
|2011||So Random!||Himself – Performer||Musical guest singing "All Day"|
|PrankStars||Himself||Episode, "Walk the Prank", alongside host Mitchel Musso and Zendaya|
|N.B.T (Next Big Thing)||Guest star|
|Extreme Makeover: Home Edition||Episode, "The Walker Family"|
|2012||Bucket & Skinner's Epic Adventures||Himself – Performer||Episode, "Epic Break-up"|
|Finding Cody||Himself||Lead role|
|Figure It Out||Contestant|
|2013||Ridiculousness||Episode "Cody Simpson", Season 3 Episode 19|
|AwesomenessTV||Episode "Zay Zay and Jo Jo's Halloween Tips", Guest Host|
|2014||Instant Mom||Episode 14: A Kids' Choice|
|Dancing with the Stars||Contestant on season 18|
|2015||Cougar Town||Pete||Guest star on Season 6|
- Studio albums
- Welcome to Paradise Tour (2012)
- Paradise Tour (with Ryan Beatty, Before You Exit and Plug in Stereo) (2013–14)
- The Acoustic Sessions Tour (2014)
- Coast to Coast Mall Tour (2011)
Awards and nominations
|2010||Nickelodeon Australian Kids Choice Awards 2010||Fresh Aussie Musos||Won|
|2010||Breakthrough of the Year Awards||Breakthrough Internet Sensation||Won|
|2012||2012 Kids' Choice Awards||Favorite Aussie Superstar||Won|
|2013||Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards||Aussie's Favorite Homegrown Act||Won|
|2013||Radio Disney Music Awards||Best Male Artist||Nominated|
|2013||Radio Disney Music Awards||Best Crush Song||Nominated|
|2013||Radio Disney Music Awards||Fiercest Fans||Nominated|
|2013||Young Hollywood Awards||Role Model Award||Won|
|2013||MTV Europe Music Awards||Best Australia Act||Won|
|2013||MTV Europe Music Awards||Best Worldwide Act||Nominated|
|2013||MTV Europe Music Awards||Artist on the Rise||Nominated|
|2014||2014 Kids' Choice Awards||Favorite Aussie Homegrown Act||Won|
|2014||Radio Disney Music Awards||Best Male Artist||Nominated|
|2014||Radio Disney Music Awards||Song That Makes You Smile||Nominated|
|2014||World Music Awards||World's Best Male Artist||Nominated|
|2014||Teen Choice Awards||Choice Music Breakout Artist||Nominated|
|2014||Oz Artist of the Year||Himself||Nominated|
|2015||Huading Awards||International Male Artist||Won|
- "Cody Simpson". Retrieved 13 August 2011.
- "Atlantic Records – Cody Simpson". atlanticrecords.com. Retrieved 15 August 2010.
- Grant, Dwayne (19 June 2010). "The Cody Simpson Effect". Goldcoast.com.au. Archived from the original on 4 October 2012. Retrieved 13 March 2014.
- Dew, Jake (14 December 2009). "Rickard motivated by loss". Goldcoast.com.au. Archived from the original on 4 October 2012. Retrieved 13 March 2014.
- "2009 Qld Championships a Huge Success!". Brisbane Swimmning Association. 22 January 2010. Archived from the original on 23 July 2011. Retrieved 13 March 2014.
- Chambers, Geoff; Dew, Jake (12 May 2009). "$500 a year to watch kids swim". Goldcoast.com.au. Archived from the original on 24 March 2013. Retrieved 13 March 2014.
- "Cody Simpson singing "I'm Yours" by Jason Mraz". YouTube. Retrieved 8 August 2010.
- "Cry Me a River – Cody Simpson Cover". YouTube. Retrieved 8 August 2010.
- "Justin Timberlake – Señorita cover – Cody Simpson". YouTube. Retrieved 19 August 2010.
- He also made covers of "Wanted Dead or Alive" by Bon Jovi, and "The Man Who Can't Be Moved" by The Script"I Want You Back by Michael Jackson – Cody Simpson Cover". YouTube. Retrieved 19 August 2010.
- "'One' – Cody Simpson". YouTube. Retrieved 8 August 2010.
- "Perfect – Original by Cody Simpson". YouTube. Retrieved 8 August 2010.
- Baillie, Rebecca (17 December 2009). "YouTube launches Gold Coast boy". The 7.30 Report. Retrieved 13 March 2014.
- "Cody Simpson – Summertime (Official Video)". YouTube. Retrieved 20 September 2010.
- Dickinson, Alex (17 May 2010). "Teen singer Cody Simpson hits US big time". The Courier-Mail. Retrieved 13 March 2014.
- "Cody goes global". au.tv.yahoo.com/sunrise. 2 June 2010. Retrieved 15 June 2010.
- Announcing The Camplifed 2010 Tour with Atlantic Recording Artist Cody Simpson. Retrieved 11 July 2010
- "Cody Simpson Middle School Tour". codysimpson.com. 14 October 2010. Retrieved 7 December 2010.
- "New Cody Simpson Music – 4 U". codysimpson.com. 4 December 2010. Retrieved 7 December 2010.
- Simpson, Matt (31 May 2011). Celebrity interview. Interview with The Kyle & Jackie O Show. Today Network. 2DayFM. Sydney, Australia.
- Kaufman, Gil (28 September 2011). "Tony Bennett Scores First No. 1 on Billboard 200". MTV. Retrieved 13 March 2014.
- "Cody Simpson Announces 'Coast to Coast' Mall Tour". Retrieved 18 August 2012.
- "Cody Announces the 'Coast to Coast' Tour! *Updated Times*". Retrieved 18 August 2012.
- "It's Official – Scooter Braun Is Cody Simpson's Manager". The Hot Hits. Retrieved 20 July 2013.
- [dead link]
- Cashmere, Paul. "Cody Simpson Is A Doll". noise11.com. Retrieved 10 December 2011.
- "Preview to Paradise – EP by Cody Simpson". Retrieved 18 August 2012.
- "Cody Simpson Releasing His "Paradise" Album on October 2, 2012". Retrieved 18 August 2012.
- "Dancing With the Stars Cast Revealed! Cody Simpson, Nene Leakes and James Maslow Are Among the Names—See the Full List! | E! Online UK". E!. 4 March 2014. Retrieved 21 April 2014.
- "'Dancing With the Stars': Cody Simpson Voted Off in Week 5". ABC News Blogs. ABC News.
- "Tour With Cody Simpson Starts Tonight! – Jackson Harris". jacksonharrismusic.com.
- "Cody Simpson Leaves Record Label And Becomes Independent Artist!". fanlala.com.
- Justine Harman (April 10, 2015). "CODY SIMPSON SAYS THE ONE THING WE'RE ALL THINKING ABOUT GIGI HADID". Elle. Retrieved April 11, 2015.
- Britanny Spanos (4 February 2015). "Hear Cody Simpson Get 'Free' on New Song 'Flower'". Rolling Stones. Retrieved 6 February 2015.
- Christina Garibaldi (March 12, 2015). "Exclusive: Cody Simpson Takes Us Inside The Studio As He Records His New EP ‘Free’". MTV. Retrieved April 11, 2015.
- Gary Graff (March 24, 2015). "Cody Simpson Getting 'Free' on New Self-Released Album". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved April 11, 2015.
- Wagmeister, Elizabeth (23 October 2014). "Cody Simpson Guest Starring on Final Season Of 'Cougar Town'". hollywoodlife.com.
- Emily Longeretta. "Gigi Hadid & Cody Simpson Dating – Share Romantic Caribbean Vacation Pic – Hollywood Life". Hollywood Life.
- Rivera, Zayda (5 May 2014). "Cody Simpson, Gigi Hadid split due to 'busy schedules and living on opposite coasts'". Daily News (New York)
- Sarkari, Karishma (3 January 2015). "Not such an intimate getaway! Cody Simpson and Gigi Hadid join Selena Gomez for beach party in Dubai on New Year's Eve before starting 2015 with a dip in the ocean". Daily Mail.
- Gigi Hadid and Cody Simpson Break-Up, Hollywood Life, May 2015, Retrieved May 2015
- "Cody Simpson to cameo on 'Cougar Town'". MSN. 25 October 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Cody Simpson.|
- Official website
- Cody Simpson at the Internet Movie Database
- Cody Simpson on Twitter
- Cody Simpson's's channel on YouTube