Simpson at the ARIA Music Awards of 2013
|Birth name||Cody R. Simpson|
|Born||11 January 1997|
Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
Simpson was born on the Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia, to Brad and Angie Simpson. He attended All Saints Anglican School throughout his upbringing and was a talented swimmer in his younger years. Simpson trained at the Miami Swimming Club under coach Ken Nixon and won two gold medals at the 2009 Queensland Swimming Championships. His mother Angie also worked as a volunteer at the swimming club. He has two younger siblings, Tom and Alli.
Simpson began to record songs in his bedroom during the summer of 2009 on YouTube, performing "I'm Yours" by Jason Mraz, "Cry Me a River" and "Señorita" by Justin Timberlake, "I Want You Back" by The Jackson 5, and his own songs, "One" and "Perfect". He was subsequently discovered on YouTube by Shawn Campbell.
2009–11: Career beginnings, 4 U, and Coast to Coast
Simpson's rise to recognition was featured on The 7.30 Report in December 2009. He released his debut single, "iYiYi" (which features American rapper Flo Rida), on 15 May 2010. The music video for Simpson's second single, "Summertime", was released on 20 September 2010. Simpson relocated to Los Angeles in June 2010 with his family to record his songs with Atlantic Records' Shawn Campbell. That same month, Simpson appeared on Sunrise. On 22 June 2010, it was announced that Simpson would participate in the Camplified 2010 Tour, along with other artists, touring across the United States. The tour began on 5 July 2010 and ended on 14 August 2010. Other tours that year included a middle school tour that took place from October–November 2010 and covered 9 U.S states. An EP, 4 U was released on 21 December 2010. The EP included five tracks in total, four of them being previously unreleased. Simpson recorded a remake of the song "I Want Candy" by The Strangeloves as the main theme song for the Easter-themed live-action/CGI-animated film Hop. In May 2011, Simpson was "egged" during a live performance at Westfield Miranda in Sydney. Simpson told Australian radio show The Kyle & Jackie O Show that he was not in fact hit by the eggs, and that he was upset on behalf of his fans because the remainder of his show was cancelled because of security concerns. He then started the Waiting 4U tour with American singer Greyson Chance on 9 April in Ivins, Utah. The tour ended on 18 May 2011, in Portland, Oregon.
Coast to Coast was released on 20 September 2011 by Atlantic Records. It reached number 12 on Billboard 200 selling 24,000 copies. On 23 April 2011, Simpson released the single "On My Mind". On 5 August 2011, he performed on The Today Show. The following day, Simpson started his Coast to Coast Mall Tour in Lake Grove, New York to promote his second EP. He played nine dates around the United States and finished it in Orange, California on 18 September 2011. On 22 September, it was announced that Cody Simpson hired Justin Bieber's manager, Scooter Braun, as his own. In December 2011, The Wish Factory released a Cody Simpson doll in two formats.
2012–14: Paradise, Surfers Paradise and Dancing with the Stars
On 12 June 2012, Simpson released an EP titled Preview to Paradise containing four songs from his upcoming debut studio album, Paradise, which was released on 2 October 2012. In February 2013, Simpson toured Europe, doing his own tour dates as well as supporting Justin Bieber on many of the European Believe tour dates. Surfers Paradise, which was released on 16 July 2013, is Simpson's first album to debut in the top 10 of the Billboard 200. During summer of 2013, Simpson headlined the Paradise Tour, featuring opening acts Ryan Beatty and Before You Exit. On 19 November 2013, Simpson released an acoustic album called The Acoustic Sessions, featuring the songs "Pretty Brown Eyes", "All Day", "La Da Dee", "Wish U Were Here", and a cover of "Please Come Home for Christmas" recorded acoustically.
On 4 March 2014, Simpson was announced as one of the celebrities to participate on the 18th season of Dancing with the Stars during ABC's Good Morning America. He was partnered with professional dancer Witney Carson. He was eliminated on Week 5 of the competition and finished in 9th place.
In August 2014 Simpson announced he had departed Warner/Atlantic. He cited creative differences as the reason for his departure and as a result is currently unsigned.
2015–2018: Free, Cody Simpson and the Tide, and Wave One
Simpson's album Free was scheduled to be released on 23 June 2015 then was pushed back to 10 July. Simpson performed the first single, "Flower" on Good Morning America on 6 February 2015. It is his first album as an independent artist since leaving Atlantic Records to create his own label, Coast House. The album was produced by Cisco Adler and includes songwriting collaborations with G. Love and Donavon Frankenreiter. John Mayer served as a sounding board. Cody performed his single "New Problems" on NBC's Today show on 13 July 2015. On 1 November 2015 it has been reported that Cody took a break from his long term solo career to start up a new band with his close mates Adrian Cota and Khari Mateen.
In 2017, Simpson formed a new band billed as Cody Simpson and the Tide, making their debut with the single "Waiting for the Tide." Cody and the Tide is composed of Cody Simpson on vocals and guitar, Adrian Cota on drums and Shareef "Reef" Addo on bass. Cody and the Tide released their debut EP, entitled Wave One, in the fall of 2017. The music is a blend of pop, rock, blues, and surf-rock genres. The band used their varying influences and music tastes to create Wave One. In their four-track EP, Simpson sings of love, unity, environmentalism and ocean conservation. The EP's debut single, "Waiting for the Tide," was inspired by a poem Simpson wrote that tackled topics such as rising water levels and ocean conservation. In August 2018, the band released "Underwater" music video song. In October, Cody and the Tide went on a short tour of southern California to perform their EP. In early 2019, after almost three years together, the band split up.
2019–present: Return to solo work
After parting ways with his band and focusing on his solo career again, Simpson released the song Golden Thing he wrote for Miley Cyrus on 18 October 2019 which crossed over 1 million views on Spotify. In the same year, he participated on The Masked Singer Australia, as the "Robot" and went on to win the show. He's set to release his upcoming full-length solo album which will cover pop, rock, and urban songs in 2020.
In 2014, he made his television debut by making a cameo in a sitcom Instant Mom. In 2015, Simpson guest starred on the American television sitcom Cougar Town, portraying Pete, a high school student. In the same year he booked a role in Nickelodeon's film One Crazy Cruise where he played the love interest of Kira Kosarin's character Ellie Jensen-Bauer and starred as himself. In late 2017, Simpson was cast in the supporting role in Bret Easton Ellis' thriller film, The Smiley Face Killers opposite actor Crispin Glover. In October 2018, he debuted on Theatre when he was cast in the Broadway musical Anastasia as the leading male character Dmitry, alongside John Bolton and Christy Altomare.
In 2012, he was a brand ambassador of Build-A-Bear Workshop. A year later, he became a brand ambassador for Teen Cancer America. In June 2017, he was named the first United Nations Development Programme advocate for oceans. In the month of August, he was named one of Bonds brand ambassador for Home Grown campaign. He also featured in Stellar. In 2019, he revealed that he is a member of the University of Southern California (USC)'s Trojan Swim Elite team. He is signed with IMG Models. His book "Prince Neptune" is set to release in April 2020. In February 2020, he had appeared in Australia's new Bonds "WeGotsYou" campaign. He is signed with the talent agency ICM Partners.
He has tattoos on his body: left forearm of his record label representing sun, water, and earth, large anchor on his right hand, large sun below his right shoulder, 'Old man river' on his arm, skull and crossbones inked on his chest, Elvis Presley thumb-sized drawing on his forearm.
|2011||So Random!||Himself – Performer||Musical guest singing "All Day"|
|PrankStars||Himself||Episode, "Walk the Prank", alongside host Mitchel Musso and Zendaya|
|N.B.T (Next Big Thing)||Guest star|
|Extreme Makeover: Home Edition||Episode, "The Walker Family"|
|2012||Bucket & Skinner's Epic Adventures||Himself – Performer||Episode, "Epic Break-up"|
|Finding Cody||Himself||Lead role|
|Figure It Out||Contestant|
|2013||Ridiculousness||Episode "Cody Simpson", Season 3 Episode 19|
|Golden Balls||Episode 289 Runner-up|
|AwesomenessTV||Episode "Zay Zay and Jo Jo's Halloween Tips", Guest Host|
|2014||Instant Mom||Episode 14: "A Kids' Choice"|
|Dancing with the Stars||Contestant on season 18|
|2015||One Crazy Cruise||Cody Simpson|
|Cougar Town||Pete||Season 6, Episode 7|
|2018–2019||Anastasia (musical)||Dmitry||Lead role|
|2019||The Masked Singer (Australia)||Robot||Contestant / Winner|
|2020||Smiley Face Killers||Post-production|
- Studio albums
- Extended plays
- 4 U (2010)
- Coast to Coast (2011)
- Wave One (2017)
- Wave Two (2018)
- B-Sides (2018)
- B-Sides: We Had (2019)
- B-Sides: Part the Seas (2019)
- Untitled Album (2020)
- Welcome to Paradise Tour (2012)
- Paradise Tour (with Ryan Beatty, Before You Exit and Plug in Stereo) (2013–14)
- The Acoustic Sessions Tour (2014)
- Free Tour (2015)
- Coast to Coast Mall Tour (2011)
Awards and nominations
|2010||Nickelodeon Australian Kids Choice Awards 2010||Fresh Aussie Musos||Won|
|2010||Breakthrough of the Year Awards||Breakthrough Internet Sensation||Won|
|2012||2012 Kids' Choice Awards||Favorite Aussie Superstar||Won|
|2013||Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards||Aussie's Favorite Homegrown Act||Won|
|2013||Radio Disney Music Awards||Best Male Artist||Nominated|
|2013||Radio Disney Music Awards||Best Crush Song||Nominated|
|2013||Radio Disney Music Awards||Fiercest Fans||Nominated|
|2013||Young Hollywood Awards||Role Model Award||Won|
|2013||MTV Europe Music Awards||Best Australia Act||Won|
|2013||MTV Europe Music Awards||Best Worldwide Act||Nominated|
|2013||MTV Europe Music Awards||Artist on the Rise||Nominated|
|2014||2014 Kids' Choice Awards||Favorite Aussie Homegrown Act||Won|
|2014||Radio Disney Music Awards||Best Male Artist||Nominated|
|2014||Radio Disney Music Awards||Song That Makes You Smile||Nominated|
|2014||World Music Awards||World's Best Male Artist||Nominated|
|2014||Teen Choice Awards||Choice Music Breakout Artist||Nominated|
|2014||Oz Artist of the Year||Himself||Nominated|
|2015||Huading Awards||International Male Artist||Won|
|2015||GQ Men of the Year Awards||International Sensation||Won|
- Leahey, Andrew. "Cody Simpson". AllMusic. Retrieved 21 June 2020.
An R&B/pop singer from Australia, discovered via YouTube at the age of 12.
- Simpson, Cody R. (7 April 2020). Prince Neptune: Poetry and Prose. Andrews McMeel Publishing. ISBN 9781524853990.
- "UPI Almanac for Saturday, Jan. 11, 2020". United Press International. 11 January 2020. Archived from the original on 12 January 2020. Retrieved 3 February 2020.
…musician Cody Simpson in 1997 (age 23)
- "Atlantic Records – Cody Simpson". atlanticrecords.com. Archived from the original on 22 July 2012. Retrieved 15 August 2010.
- "Cody Simpson Extends Run in Broadway's Anastasiaia". Playbill. 29 January 2019.
- "Cody Simpson won The Masked Singer. So now what?". The Sydney Morning Herald. 22 October 2019.
- Laughlin, Shaya (12 September 2016). "Former Gold Coaster popstar Cody Simpson wants to be Commonwealth Games ambassador". Gold Coast Bulletin. Retrieved 6 January 2019.
- "2009 Qld Championships a Huge Success!". Brisbane Swimmning Association. 22 January 2010. Archived from the original on 23 July 2011. Retrieved 13 March 2014.
- Dew, Jake (14 December 2009). "Rickard motivated by loss". Goldcoast.com.au. Archived from the original on 4 October 2012. Retrieved 13 March 2014.
- Chambers, Geoff; Dew, Jake (12 May 2009). "$500 a year to watch kids swim". Goldcoast.com.au. Archived from the original on 24 March 2013. Retrieved 13 March 2014.
- Grant, Dwayne (19 June 2010). "The Cody Simpson Effect". Goldcoast.com.au. Archived from the original on 4 October 2012. Retrieved 13 March 2014.
- "Cody Simpson singing "I'm Yours" by Jason Mraz". YouTube. Retrieved 8 August 2010.
- "Cry Me a River – Cody Simpson Cover". YouTube. Retrieved 8 August 2010.
- "Justin Timberlake – Señorita cover – Cody Simpson". YouTube. Retrieved 19 August 2010.
- He also made covers of "Wanted Dead or Alive" by Bon Jovi, and "The Man Who Can't Be Moved" by The Script"I Want You Back by Michael Jackson – Cody Simpson Cover". YouTube. Retrieved 19 August 2010.
- "'One' – Cody Simpson". YouTube. Retrieved 8 August 2010.
- "Perfect – Original by Cody Simpson". YouTube. Retrieved 8 August 2010.
- Baillie, Rebecca (17 December 2009). "YouTube launches Gold Coast boy". The 7.30 Report. Retrieved 13 March 2014.
- "Cody Simpson – Summertime (Official Video)". YouTube. Retrieved 20 September 2010.
- Dickinson, Alex (17 May 2010). "Teen singer Cody Simpson hits US big time". The Courier-Mail. Retrieved 13 March 2014.
- "Cody goes global". au.tv.yahoo.com/sunrise. 2 June 2010. Archived from the original on 18 July 2011. Retrieved 15 June 2010.
- Announcing The Camplifed 2010 Tour with Atlantic Recording Artist Cody Simpson. Retrieved 11 July 2010
- "Cody Simpson Middle School Tour". codysimpson.com. 14 October 2010. Archived from the original on 24 November 2010. Retrieved 7 December 2010.
- "New Cody Simpson Music – 4 U". codysimpson.com. 4 December 2010. Archived from the original on 8 December 2010. Retrieved 7 December 2010.
- Simpson, Matt (31 May 2011). "Celebrity interview". Today Network (Interview). Interviewed by The Kyle & Jackie O Show. Sydney, Australia: 2DayFM.
- Kaufman, Gil (28 September 2011). "Tony Bennett Scores First No. 1 on Billboard 200". MTV. Retrieved 13 March 2014.
- "Cody Simpson Announces 'Coast to Coast' Mall Tour". Retrieved 18 August 2012.
- "Cody Announces the 'Coast to Coast' Tour! *Updated Times*". Archived from the original on 5 October 2013. Retrieved 18 August 2012.
- "It's Official – Scooter Braun Is Cody Simpson's Manager". The Hot Hits. Archived from the original on 13 September 2013. Retrieved 20 July 2013.
-  Archived 23 July 2013 at the Wayback Machine
- Cashmere, Paul. "Cody Simpson Is A Doll". noise11.com. Retrieved 10 December 2011.
- "Preview to Paradise – EP by Cody Simpson". Retrieved 18 August 2012.
- "Cody Simpson Releasing His "Paradise" Album on October 2, 2012". Retrieved 18 August 2012.
- "Dancing With the Stars Cast Revealed! Cody Simpson, Nene Leakes and James Maslow Are Among the Names—See the Full List! | E! Online UK". E!. 4 March 2014. Retrieved 21 April 2014.
- "'Dancing With the Stars': Cody Simpson Voted Off in Week 5". ABC News Blogs. ABC News.
- "Tour With Cody Simpson Starts Tonight! – Jackson Harris". jacksonharrismusic.com. Archived from the original on 29 May 2016. Retrieved 31 October 2014.
- "Cody Simpson Leaves Record Label And Becomes Independent Artist!". fanlala.com. Archived from the original on 31 January 2016. Retrieved 23 August 2014.
- Justine Harman (10 April 2015). "CODY SIMPSON SAYS THE ONE THING WE'RE ALL THINKING ABOUT GIGI HADID". Elle. Retrieved 11 April 2015.
- "iTunes – Music – Free by Cody Simpson". iTunes. Archived from the original on 8 July 2015. Retrieved 31 August 2015.
- Britanny Spanos (4 February 2015). "Hear Cody Simpson Get 'Free' on New Song 'Flower'". Rolling Stones. Retrieved 6 February 2015.
- Christina Garibaldi (12 March 2015). "Exclusive: Cody Simpson Takes Us Inside The Studio As He Records His New EP 'Free'". MTV. Retrieved 11 April 2015.
- Gary Graff (24 March 2015). "Cody Simpson Getting 'Free' on New Self-Released Album". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 11 April 2015.[permanent dead link]
- "Cody Simpson performs 'New Problems' on TODAY". Today.com.
- "Cody Simpson Music News: Did Australian Singer Just Tease Lyrics For New Musical Project Coast House? [PHOTO, VIDEO]". Enstarz.com. 2 November 2015.
- "Cody Simpson & The Tide Make a Wavy Debut With 'Waiting for the Tide' Video: Premiere". Billboard. 25 October 2017.
- "INTERVIEW: Cody Simpson & The Tide Talk 'Wave One' EP & Their Formation". iHeart.com. Retrieved 17 June 2018.
- "Cody Simpson & The Tide's 'Underwater' Video: Premiere". Billboard. 3 August 2018. Retrieved 6 May 2020.
- "Cody Simpson Announces 'Zen' New Band, The Tide". Billboard. Retrieved 17 June 2018.
- "Cody Simpson Details Romance With Miley Cyrus, Confirms Plans to Release New Song: Report". Billboard. 12 October 2019.
- "The winner of Australia's favourite guessing game unmasked". The Sydney Morning Herald. 21 October 2019.
- "I Was Like Ah F--k Now Everyone's Going To Know It's Me': Cody Simpson's Masked Miley Connection". 10 daily. 22 October 2019.
- "Cody Simpson To Make Cameo On 'Instant Mom'...As Himself". MTV.com. 20 February 2014.
- Wagmeister, Elizabeth (23 October 2014). "Cody Simpson Guest Starring on Final Season Of 'Cougar Town'". hollywoodlife.com.
- r (19 June 2015). "Watch a Clip of Cody Simpson Acting in Nickelodeon's New Movie 'One Crazy Cruise'". m.magazine.com.
- Moran, Jonathon (5 August 2017). "Busy much? Cody Simpson has made his first film and is set to release new music". The Daily Telegraph (Sydney). News Corp Australia.
- "Film News Roundup: Crispin Glover, Ronen Rubinstein to Star in Horror Movie 'Smiley Face Killers'". Variety. 6 October 2017.
- "Cody Simpson to Make Broadway Debut in 'Anastasia the Musical'". Billboard. 16 October 2018.
- "Cody Simpson is New Brand Ambassador For Build-A-Bear Workshop". Business Wire. 12 September 2012.
- "Cody Simpson New Ambassador for the Who's Teen Cancer America". Samaritan Magazine. 25 June 2013.
- "Musician Cody Simpson to be named UNDP Ocean Advocate on World Oceans Day". United Nations Development Programme. 7 June 2017.
- "Baby-face no more: Cody Simpson comes of age". Daily Telegraph. 26 August 2017.
- "MUSIC SENSATION CODY SIMPSON COMPETES AT USC SWIM MEET". SWIMSWAM. 17 October 2019.
- "IMG Models - CODY SIMPSON". IMG Models. Retrieved 23 October 2019.
- "The untold truth of Cody Simpson". The List. Retrieved 23 October 2019.
- "Miley Cyrus and Cody Simpson announce first book, reveal cover". Celebrity Nine. 12 January 2020.
- "Cody Simpson in new Bonds "WeGotsYou" campaign". News.com.au. 29 February 2020.
- Sun, Rebecca (18 July 2017). "Cody Simpson Signs With ICM Partners". Billboard. Retrieved 3 August 2017.
- Roth, Madeline (15 July 2015). "Cody Simpson Explains Why He And Gigi Hadid Really Broke Up". MTV. Retrieved 21 October 2019.
- Johns, Gibson (4 October 2019). "Miley Cyrus spotted kissing Gigi Hadid's ex Cody Simpson". Aol. Retrieved 21 October 2019.
- "Cody Simpson Just Got An Unexpected New Tattoo of His "King"". Refinery 29. 25 October 2019.
- "Cody Simpson Just Got An Unexpected New Tattoo of His "King"". Yahoo. 25 October 2019.
- "Cody Simpson to cameo on 'Cougar Town'". MSN. 25 October 2014. Archived from the original on 16 December 2014. Retrieved 16 December 2014.
- "The Masked Singer: Cody Simpson revealed as the robot". news.com.au. 21 October 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Cody Simpson.|