A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (October 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Type of site
|Crowdfunding Corporate finance Equity (finance)|
|Headquarters||Exeter, Great Britain|
In July 2015, E-Car Club, an electric vehicle rental business championing the future of the green sharing economy, produced the first exit from the CrowdCube 'Funded Club'. E-Car received a significant investment from Europcar, Europe's largest vehicle rental business. E-Car club has joined the newly formed Europcar Labs project, which has been set up by CEO Philippe Germond to focus on 'mobility solutions'. This is Europcar's first acquisition since its IPO on the Euronext in early June 2015. 63 original investors in E-Car Club via Crowdcube benefited from a multiple return on their investment.
In December 2015, it was announced that Camden Town Brewery was being bought by the world's largest brewer, Anheuser-Busch InBev. In a letter to Crowdcube shareholders, AB InBev were offering a payout of between £1.0861 and £1.2526 per share, depending on whether they accept an option with a variable element based on sales growth to be paid at a later date. Reports said this was a nominal return on investment of just under 70%, implying that AB InBev paid around £85 million.
Some examples of companies that have acquired funding using this method are as follows:
|Business||Amount Raised||No. of Investors||Equity Released||Date|
|Sugru||£3,547,410||2,997||4.02%||July 2015 |
|Chilango||£3,433,010||1,300||8.72%||December 2015 |
|Movem||£200,000||116||20%||September 2016 |
|Pavegen||£2,051,720||1798||4.48%||July 2015 |
|Adzuna||£2,149,355||552||5.89%||June 2015 |
|JustPark||£3,700,000||2,919||15.61%||March 2015 |
|Cell Therapy||£689,246||297||1.07%||December 2014 |
|easyProperty||£1,420,680||396||2.03%||September 2014 |
|Open Desk||£310,010||171||18.59%||June 2014 |
|LoveSpace||£1,574,590||259||28.17%||May 2014 |
|Crowdfunder||£500,000||10%||10%||April 2014 |
|Zero Carbon Foods||£659,480||454||29.04%||March 2014 |
|Hab Housing||£1,972,150||642||26.29%||September 2014 |
Bonds allow members of the public to lend money to the issuing company in return for interest and / or rewards. Mini-bonds have “particular appeal for established businesses”.
In June 2014 Chilango launched Crowdcube’s first ever mini-bond campaign. Since then a number of other businesses have launched mini-bond offerings via the Crowdcube platform. Some of the businesses that have funded bonds via Crowdcube include:
|Company||Amount Raised||No. of Investors||Interest paid||Date|
|Brew Dog||£2,312,000||815||6.5%||Oct 2015 |
|Taylor St Baristas||£1,805,000||493||8%||Jan 2015 |
|Eden Project||£1,500,000||355||6%||October 2014 |
|River Cottage||£1,000,000||285||7%||June 2014 |
|Chilango||£2,035,000||347||8%||June 2014 |
Caterham F1 In November 2014, Crowdcube partnered with Caterham F1 to raise £2.35 million to get the team to the final Grand Prix of the season in Abu Dhabi. Designed to empower F1 fans to help Caterham return to race, the project successfully completed on the 14th November, with Caterham F1 finishing in 17th place with Grand Prix newcomer Will Stevens. Caterham F1 went bankrupt in 2015.
- "Crowdcube | Nesta". www.nesta.org.uk. Retrieved 2017-10-16.
- "British regulator okays start-up investment website for public". Reuters. 4 February 2013.
- Avi Geller. "Europcar's acquisition of E-Car Club 'world's first successful crowdfunding exit'". Growthbusiness.co.uk. Retrieved 2016-04-21.
- "The Europcar Lab takes majority stake in E-Car Club" (PDF). E-carclub.org. Archived from the original (PDF) on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 21 April 2016.
- Andy Sharman in London (2015-06-15). "Europcar plans Paris IPO to fund push into 'mobility solutions'". FT.com. Retrieved 2016-04-21.
- "Resounding success of Europcar's listing on". Euronext.com. 2015-06-26. Retrieved 2016-04-21.
- "Here's Camden Town Brewery's letter to shareholders about the AB InBev takeover". FT Alphaville. 21 December 2015. Retrieved 22 December 2015.
- Davies, Rob (21 December 2015). "Camden Town Brewery sold to world's biggest drinks company". The Guardian. Retrieved 22 December 2015.
- "Academy of Robotics raising £300,000 investment on Crowdcube. Capital At Risk". Crowdcube. Retrieved 2016-06-06.
- "Sundried raising £125,000 investment on Crowdcube. Capital At Risk". Crowdcube. Retrieved 2016-09-06.
- "Crowdfunders stick Sugru glue record 3.5m raised" City AM News, July 2015.
- "Chilango Closes Funding on Crowdcube at £3.4 Million. Will Open 50 New Locations" Crowdfund Insider, December 2015.
- "Forbes - Why start ups are ignoring the risks" Forbes, September 2016.
- "Former Apple executive Jeff Martin Joins Crowdfunded Start-up Pavegen" International Business Times News, July 2015.
- "Job search site Adzuna Raises 1.5m via Crowdcube to get Britain Working" Business Matters News, June 2015.
- "JustPark becomes UK's largest equity crowdfunded start-up" TechCity News, March 2015.
- "BioTech Firm Cell Therapy Claims Crowdfunding Record With Heart Drug" Herald Scotland, December 2014.
- "Stelios latest wheeze easyProperty smashes crowdfunding target by 30%" The Telegraph, September 2014.
- "OpenDesk raise £150,000 in 12 hours" Westminster Impact Hub, June 2014.
- "LoveSpace hits £1.6m as Shazam Venture Capital firm adds £250,000 to funding pot" Archived 2 April 2015 at the Wayback Machine. UK Business Angel Association, May 2014.
- "Reward-based crowdfunding platform secures £500,000 target in just over three hours" Startups, April 2014.
- "Growing under the Tube: 141% Funding for Zero Carbon Food’s Crowdcube Campaign" Crowdfund Insider, March 2014.
- "Kevin McCloud is a hit with the Crowd(cube)" Management Today, September 2013
- Bridge. Rachel, "Soapbox: Established businesses should consider using crowdfunding too, says Adam Blaskey" Telegraph, December 2014.
- "BrewDog Bond raising investment on Crowdcube. Capital At Risk". Crowdcube.com. Retrieved 2016-04-21.
- "Niche coffee house chain Taylor St Baristas secures £1.8m Crowdcube mini-bond" Startups, Feb 2015.
- "Eden Project crowdfunding raises £1.5m in 20 hours" BBC News, October 2014.
- "Fearnley-Whittingstall's River Cottage raises £1m through mini bonds" Real Business, June 2014.
- "Will Chilango's £2m Success Herald An Affordable Mini Bond Revolution?" Forbes, June 2014.
- Wise, Mike. "Caterham launch crowdfunding project to fund team's return for the Abu Dhabi GP | F1 News". Skysports.com. Retrieved 2016-04-21.
- Strickland, Jamie (2014-11-14). "Caterham to race in Abu Dhabi finale after fundraising success". BBC Sport. Retrieved 2016-04-21.
- "Past Results - Abu Dhabi Grand Prix". Skysports.com. Retrieved 2016-04-21.
- "Caterham hopes fade as team's remaining assets go up for sale". BBC. Retrieved 13 April 2016.