Location of Cuevitas, Texas
|Country||United States of America|
|• Total||0.3 sq mi (0.8 km2)|
|• Land||0.3 sq mi (0.7 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.1 km2)|
|Elevation||141 ft (43 m)|
|• Density||130/sq mi (50/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (Central (CST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1333792|
Cuevitas is a census-designated place (CDP) in Hidalgo County, Texas. The population was 40 at the 2010 United States Census. Rated the poorest community in Texas, it is part of the McAllen–Edinburg–Mission Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Cuevitas is located at (26.262686, -98.578912).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 0.3 square miles (0.78 km2), of which 0.3 square miles (0.78 km2) is land and 0.04 square miles (0.10 km2) (10.00%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 37 people, 12 households, and 9 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 136.3 people per square mile (52.9/km²). There were 16 housing units at an average density of 58.9/sq mi (22.9/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 100.00% Hispanic.
There were 12 households out of which 25.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 58.3% were married couples living together, 16.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 16.7% were non-families. 16.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.08 and the average family size was 3.50.
In the CDP, the population was spread out with 24.3% under the age of 18, 13.5% from 18 to 24, 24.3% from 25 to 44, 18.9% from 45 to 64, and 18.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females, there were 68.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 86.7 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $8,750, and the median income for a family was $8,750. Males had a median income of $0 versus $0 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $1,703, which is the lowest in the state of Texas. There were 100.0% of families and 100.0% of the population living below the poverty line, including 100.0% of under 18s and none of those over 64.
Cuevitas is within the boundary of La Joya Independent School District. The zoned schools for residents are Sam Fordyce Elementary School, Lorenzo de Zavala Middle School, and La Joya High School.
In addition, South Texas Independent School District operates magnet schools that serve the community.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "2010 CENSUS - CENSUS BLOCK MAP: Cuevitas CDP, TX." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on September 17, 2018.
- "SCHOOL DISTRICT REFERENCE MAP (2010 CENSUS): Hidalgo County, TX." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on August 2, 2018.
- "Elementary School Zones 2017-2018 Archived 2018-09-16 at the Wayback Machine." La Joya Independent School District. Retrieved on September 16, 2018.
- "Middle School Zones 2017-2018 Archived 2018-09-16 at the Wayback Machine." La Joya Independent School District. Retrieved on September 16, 2018.
- "High School Zones 2017-2018 Archived 2018-09-16 at the Wayback Machine." La Joya Independent School District. Retrieved on September 16, 2018.