|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (September 2010)|
|Initial release||February 19, 2006|
|Stable release||3.4.6 (March 30, 2015) [±]|
|Written in||C language|
|License||GNU General Public License or Commercial Distribution License|
wolfSSL (formerly CyaSSL or yet another SSL) is a small, portable, embedded SSL programming library targeted for use by embedded systems developers. It is an open source implementation of SSL (SSL 3, TLS 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, and DTLS 1.0 and 1.2) built in the C language. It includes SSL client libraries and an SSL server implementation as well as support for multiple API's, including those defined by SSL and TLS. CyaSSL also includes an OpenSSL compatibility interface with the most commonly used OpenSSL functions.
A predecessor of CyaSSL, yaSSL is a C++ based SSL library for embedded environments and real time operating systems with constrained resources.
wolfSSL is currently available for Win32/64, Linux, Mac OS X, Solaris, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, embedded linux, Haiku, OpenWrt, iPhone, Android, Nintendo Wii and Gamecube through DevKitPro support, QNX, VxWorks, MontaVista, ThreadX, Tron variants, NonStop, OpenCL, Micrium's MicroC/OS-II, FreeRTOS, Freescale MQX, Nucleus, TinyOS, and TI-RTOS.
The genesis of yaSSL, or yet another SSL, dates to 2004. OpenSSL was available at the time, and was dual licensed under the OpenSSL License and the SSLeay license. yaSSL, alternatively, was developed and dual-licensed under both a commercial license and the GPL. yaSSL offered a more modern API, commercial style developer support and was complete with an OpenSSL compatibility layer. The first major user of wolfSSL/CyaSSL/yaSSL was MySQL. Through bundling with MySQL, yaSSL has achieved extremely high distribution volumes in the millions.
Today wolfSSL is used in both open source and commercial projects. CyaSSL is included in many types of network devices such as smart devices on automobiles, IP phones, mobile phones, routers, printers, and credit card scanners.
The wolfSSL lightweight SSL library implements the following protocols:
- SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, TLS 1.1, TLS 1.2
- DTLS 1.0, DTLS 1.2
CyaSSL does not support SSL 2.0 as it is insecure.
CyaSSL uses the following cryptography libraries:
By default, wolfSSL uses the cryptographic services provided by wolfCrypt. wolfCrypt Provides RSA, ECC, DSS, Diffie–Hellman, EDH, NTRU, DES, Triple DES, AES (CBC, CTR, CCM, GCM), Camellia, ARC4, HC-128, ChaCha20, MD2, MD4, MD5, SHA-1, SHA-2, BLAKE2, RIPEMD-160, Poly1305, Random Number Generation, Large Integer support, and base 16/64 encoding/decoding. An experimental cipher called Rabbit, a public domain stream cipher from the EU's eSTREAM project, is also included. Rabbit is potentially useful to those encrypting streaming media in high performance, high demand environments.
CyaSSL+ includes NTRU public key encryption. The addition of NTRU in CyaSSL+ was a result of the partnership between yaSSL and Security Innovation. NTRU works well in mobile and embedded environments due to the reduced bit size needed to provide the same security as other public key systems. In addition, it's not known to be vulnerable to quantum attacks. Several cipher suites utilizing NTRU are available with CyaSSL+ including AES-256, RC4, and HC-128.
Milestones in CyaSSL development include:
- wolfSSL version 3.4.6 was released on March 30, 2015
- wolfSSL version 3.4.0 was released on February 23, 2015
- CyaSSL version 3.3.0 was released on December 5, 2014
- CyaSSL version 3.2.0 was released on September 10, 2014
- CyaSSL version 3.1.0 was released on July 14, 2014
- CyaSSL version 3.0.0 was released on April 30, 2014
- CyaSSL version 2.9.4 was released on April 9, 2014
- CyaSSL version 2.3.0 was released on August 10, 2012
- CyaSSL version 2.2.0 was released on May 18, 2012
- CyaSSL version 2.0.8 was released on February 24, 2012
- CyaSSL version 2.0.0rc3 was released on September 28, 2011
- CyaSSL version 1.9.0 was released on March 2, 2011
- CyaSSL version 1.6.0 was released on August 27, 2010.
- CyaSSL version 1.5.0 was released on May 11, 2010.
- CyaSSL version 1.2.0 was released on November 2, 2009.
- CyaSSL version 1.1.0 was released on September 2, 2009.
- CyaSSL version 1.0.2 was released on April 2, 2009.
- CyaSSL version rc3-1.0.0 was released on February 25, 2009.
- CyaSSL version rc1-1.0.0 was released on December 17, 2008.
2011 Tomorrow's Technology Today - Mobile Encryption
- Transport Layer Security
- Comparison of TLS implementations
- Network Security Services
- mbed TLS (previously PolarSSL)
- "CyaSSL ChangeLog".
- "wolfSSL ChangeLog". 2015-03-30. Retrieved 2015-03-31.
- wolfSSL: Products, OpenSSL Compatibility Layer
- OpenSSL: Source, License
- yaSSL: License
- MySQL, Using SSL Connections
- OSS Projects Ported to wolfSSL Products
- wolfSSL: Algorithm and Protocol Reference
- Kerberos: The Network Authentication Protocol
- NTRU CryptoLabs
- GNU License
- 2011 Tomorrow's Technology Today - Mobile Encryption