DEA list of chemicals
The United States Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) maintains lists regarding the classification of illicit drugs (see DEA Schedules). It also maintains List I of chemicals and List II of chemicals, which contain chemicals that are used to manufacture the controlled substances/illicit drugs. The lists are designated within The Controlled Substances Act, 21 U.S.C. § 802, paragraphs 34 (list I) and 35 (list II).
Although the list is designated by the U.S. Attorney General, the list is considered a DEA list because the DEA publishes and enforces the list.
Suppliers of these products are subject to regulation and control measures.
List I chemicals
These chemicals are designated as those that are used in the manufacture of the controlled substances and are important to the manufacture of the substances.
- Anthranilic acid, its esters, and its salts
- Benzyl cyanide
- Ephedrine, its salts, optical isomers, and salts of optical isomers
- Ergonovine and its salts
- Ergotamine and its salts
- N-Acetylanthranilic acid, its esters, and its salts
- Norpseudoephedrine, its salts, optical isomers, and salts of optical isomers
- Phenylacetic acid, its esters, and its salts
- Phenylpropanolamine, its salts, optical isomers, and salts of optical isomers
- Piperidine and its salts
- Pseudoephedrine, its salts, optical isomers, and salts of optical isomers
- Propionic anhydride
- N-Methylephedrine, its salts, optical isomers, and salts of optical isomers (N-Methylephedrine)
- N-Methylpseudoephedrine, its salts, optical isomers, and salts of optical isomers
- Hydriodic acid
- Gamma butyrolactone (Other names include: GBL; Dihydro-2 (3H)-furanone; 1,2-Butanolide; 1,4-Butanolide; 4-Hydroxybutanoic acid lactone; gamma-hydroxybutyric acid lactone)
- Red Phosphorus
- White Phosphorus (Other names: Yellow Phosphorus)
- Hypophosphorous acid and its salts (including ammonium hypophosphite, calcium hypophosphite, iron hypophosphite, potassium hypophosphite, manganese hypophosphite, magnesium hypophosphite and sodium hypophosphite).
- N-phenethyl-4-piperidone (NPP)
- Ergocristine and its salts
List II chemicals
These chemicals are designated as those that are used in the manufacture of the controlled substances.
Special Surveillance List
All listed chemicals as specified in 21 CFR 1310.02 (a) or (b). This includes supplements which contain a listed chemical, regardless of their dosage form or packaging and regardless of whether the chemical mixture, drug product or dietary supplement is exempt from regulatory controls.
- Ammonia gas
- Ammonium formate
- 1,1-Dichloro-1-fluoroethane (e.g. freon 141B)
- Diethylamine and its salts
- 2,5-Dimethoxyphenethylamine and its salts
- Formic acid
- Lithium metal
- Lithium aluminum hydride
- Magnesium metal (turnings)
- Mercuric chloride
- Organomagnesium halides (Grignard reagents) (e.g. ethylmagnesium bromide and phenylmagnesium bromide)
- Phenylethanolamine and its salts
- Phosphorus pentachloride
- Potassium dichromate
- Pyridine and its salts
- Sodium dichromate
- Sodium metal
- Thionyl chloride
- Trichloromonofluoromethane (e.g. freon-11, carrene-2)
- 1,1,2-Trichloro-1,2,2-trifluoroethane (e.g. freon 113)