Panoramio of Enshi City, 2013
|Country||People's Republic of China|
|• County-level city||3,972 km2 (1,534 sq mi)|
|• Urban||52.00 km2 (20.08 sq mi)|
|Elevation||420 m (1,380 ft)|
|• County-level city||749,574|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||190/km2 (490/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+8 (China Standard)|
|Alternative Chinese name|
Enshi (Chinese: 恩施; pinyin: Ēnshī) is a county-level city in and the seat of Enshi Tujia and Miao Autonomous Prefecture, in western Hubei province, People's Republic of China. The prefecture's legislature, executive and judiciary are seated here, as well as its CPC and Public security bureau.
The entire county-level city of Enshi has an area of 3,967 square kilometres (1,532 sq mi) and a population of 780,000.
The earliest records of Enshi start in 770bc. At that time the area was a State known as Bazi until 476b. From 475 to 221 it became a county, after which it was assumed into the Chinese Dynasties starting with Qin.
- Longfeng (龙凤镇), Cuiba (崔坝镇), Banqiao (板桥镇), Baiyangping (白杨坪镇, before 2013 Baiyangping Township 白杨坪乡), Sancha (三岔镇, former Sancha Township 三岔乡)
- Xintang Township (新塘乡), Hongtu Township (红土乡), Shadi Township (沙地乡), Taiyanghe Township (太阳河乡), Tunbao Township (屯堡乡), Baiguo Township (白果乡), Bajiao Dong Ethnic Township (芭蕉侗族乡), Shengjiaba Township (盛家坝乡)
The city is built alongside the Qing River and is surrounded by forest-covered mountains. The city has many hotels, restaurants and spas. Restaurants here in general cater for Chinese tastes; however there is one western style restaurant called "Mac Home" in the city center. The food in Enshi is spicy and includes many "Hot Pot" style dishes as well as smoked pork and chirzo style sausage meat, spicy fried potatoes and lamb skewers.
There is a beautiful Forest Park in Enshi which offers splendid scenery and views of the city as well as an amusement park. there is an out-door cafe in the park with hammocks which sells fresh ground coffee. During the summer months there is white water rafting tours available on the river.
The City Center has a shopping district catering for most tastes. There is a local night club located under the "shelter bridge" called the "Soho Times".
In earlier 2013 Enshi's economy appeared to be booming with many multistory building construction sites in operation. The city is home to a busy college and University. Agriculture in and around the city is strong with almost all available land being used to grow vegetables. There are two hospital campuses in the city, many banks, supermarkets and shops. The city also has a tobacco factory.
Enshi has a monsoon-influenced humid subtropical climate (Köppen Cfa), with short, cool winters, hot, humid summers, and high humidity year-round. The monthly 24-hour average temperature ranges from 5.0 °C (41.0 °F) in January to 26.7 °C (80.1 °F) in August, while the annual mean is 16.18 °C (61.1 °F). More than two-thirds of the annual precipitation of 1,470 millimetres (58 in) occurs from May to September. With monthly percent possible sunshine ranging from 12% in January to 50% in August, the city receives only 1,212 hours of bright sunshine annually; winter is especially overcast while July thru September is the sunniest period of the year.
|Climate data for Enshi City (1971−2000)|
|Average high °C (°F)||8.3
|Average low °C (°F)||2.6
|Average precipitation mm (inches)||29.0
|Average precipitation days (≥ 0.1 mm)||11.5||11.4||15.1||15.9||16.3||16.6||16.3||12.8||12.6||14.4||11.9||11.2||166.0|
|Average relative humidity (%)||84||80||80||79||79||81||81||76||80||84||85||85||81|
|Mean monthly sunshine hours||37.9||44.6||63.1||105.7||124.8||124.4||166.5||204.1||125.7||96.5||69.4||49.2||1,211.9|
|Percent possible sunshine||12||14||17||27||30||30||39||50||34||27||22||16||27.3|
|Source: "China Meteorological Administration". Retrieved 2010-10-10.|
- Enshi Xujiaping Airport
- Yiwan Railway
- China National Highway 209
- G50 Shanghai–Chongqing Expressway, which crosses the Qing River near the city over the Qingjiang Bridge.
- 恩施市情简介 [Enshi City Overview]. 恩施市政府公众信息网:恩施市政府门户网(中国·湖北·恩施) (in Chinese). Archived from the original on 4 September 2018. Retrieved 14 January 2019.
- 恩施市历史沿革 [Enshi City Historical Development] (in Chinese). XZQH.org. 6 August 2014. Retrieved 14 January 2019.
- Ministry of Housing and Urban-Rural Development, ed. (2019). China Urban Construction Statistical Yearbook 2017. Beijing: China Statistics Press. p. 66. Retrieved 11 January 2020.
- "Profile of Enshi City" (in Chinese). Official website of Enshi city government. Archived from the original on April 22, 2011. Retrieved April 25, 2011.
- 2017年统计用区划代码和城乡划分代码：恩施市 [2017 Statistical Area Numbers and Rural-Urban Area Numbers: Enshi City] (in Chinese). National Bureau of Statistics of the People's Republic of China. 2017. Retrieved 14 January 2019.
统计用区划代码 名称 422801001000 舞阳坝街道办事处 422801002000 六角亭街道办事处 422801003000 小渡船街道办事处 422801100000 龙凤镇 422801101000 崔坝镇 422801102000 板桥镇 422801103000 白杨坪镇 422801104000 三岔镇 422801201000 新塘乡 422801202000 红土乡 422801203000 沙地乡 422801204000 太阳河乡 422801205000 屯堡乡 422801206000 白果乡 422801207000 芭蕉侗族乡 422801208000 盛家坝乡 422801400000 沐抚办事处
- Qing Jiang Bridge Archived 2011-10-07 at the Wayback Machine