This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
FMOD is a proprietary sound effects engine and authoring tool for video games and applications developed by Firelight Technologies, that play and mix sounds of diverse formats on many operating systems.
FMOD consists of the following technologies:
- FMOD Studio - An audio creation tool for games, designed like a digital audio workstation. Succeeds FMOD Designer.
- FMOD Studio run-time API - A programmer API to interface with FMOD Studio.
- FMOD Studio low-level API - A programmer API that stands alone, with a simple interface for playing sound files, adding special effects and performing 3D sound.
- FMOD Ex - The sound playback and mixing engine.
- FMOD Designer 2010 - An audio designer tool used for authoring complex sound events and music for playback.
- FMOD Event Player - An auditioning tool[clarification needed] in conjunction with FMOD Designer 2010.
The FMOD sound system has an advanced plugin architecture that can be used to extend the support of audio formats or to develop new output types, e.g. for streaming.
FMOD is available under multiple license schemes:
- FMOD Non-Commercial License, which allows software not intended for commercial distribution to use FMOD for free.
- FMOD Indie License, a bottom level license for software intended for commercial distribution, with development budgets less than $500k USD.
- FMOD Basic License, a mid level license for software intended for commercial distribution, with development budgets between $500k USD and $1.5m USD.
- FMOD Premium License, a top level license for software intended for commercial distribution, with development budgets over $1.5m USD.
FMOD is written in portable C++, and can thus run on many different PC, mobile and gaming console platforms including: Microsoft Windows (x86 and x86-64), macOS, iOS, Linux (x86 and x86-64), Android, BlackBerry, Wii, Wii U, 3DS, Nintendo Switch, Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, PlayStation Portable, PlayStation Vita, and Google Native Client.
FMOD can play back the following audio formats: AIFF, ASF, ASX, DLS, FLAC, FSB (FMOD's sample bank format), IT, M3U, MIDI, MOD, MP2, MP3, Ogg Vorbis, PLS, S3M, VAG (PS2/PSP format), WAV, WAX (Windows Media Audio Redirector), WMA, XM, XMA (only on the Xbox 360), as well as raw audio data.
FMOD has been integrated as a primary sound-effects system into the following video game engines:
- Caffeinated3D from Gajatix Software Ltd.
- Unity from Unity Technologies
- Unreal Engine 3 from Epic Games
- Unreal Engine 4 from Epic Games
- CryEngine from Crytek
- Torque Game Engine from GarageGames
- BigWorld Technology from Bigworld Technology
- Scaleform from Scaleform Corporation
- Havok Vision Engine
- Havok Project Anarchy
- Source from Valve
- HeroEngine from Idea Fabrik Plc.
Games using FMOD
- 3D Ultra Minigolf
- Allods Online
- Assetto Corsa
- Audition Online
- Batman: Arkham Asylum
- Battlestations: Pacific
- Brütal Legend
- Clive Barker's Jericho
- Cortex Command
- Darkest Dungeon
- Daymare 1998
- DJ Hero
- De Blob
- Deus Ex: Human Revolution
- Diablo 3
- Dragon Age: Origins
- Dwarf Fortress
- Dying Light
- Far Cry
- Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster
- Forza Motorsport 2
- Forza Motorsport 3
- Guild Wars
- Guild Wars 2
- Guitar Hero III
- Guitar Hero: Aerosmith
- Guitar Hero: World Tour
- Geometry Dash
- Hard Reset
- Heavenly Sword
- Heroes of Newerth
- Hellgate: London
- Hitman: Absolution
- Hypercharge: Unboxed
- Impressive Title
- Impressive Title Returns
- Impressive Leone
- Into the Breach
- Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis
- Just Cause 2
- League of Legends (replaced by Wwise after patch 4.7)
- Lego Universe
- Mechwarrior Online
- Metroid Prime 3
- Minecraft: Story Mode
- Music Construction Set: Eleven
- New Retro Arcade: Neon
- Natural Selection 2
- Need for Speed: Shift
- Nicktoons Unite!
- Nicktoons: Across the Second Dimension
- Nicktoons: Battle for Volcano Island
- No More Room in Hell
- Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising
- Path of Exile
- Plants vs Zombies
- Planetary Annihilation
- Quake Champions
- Renegade Ops
- Rise of Flight: The First Great Air War
- ROW Europe: Ruins Of War
- Scrap Mechanic
- Second Life
- Shadowgrounds: Survivor
- Shattered Horizon
- Shovel Knight
- Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
- SOMA (video game)
- StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty
- Stargate Worlds
- Star Trek Online
- Sven Co-op
- The Forest
- The Swapper
- TNA iMPACT!
- Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon
- Tomb Raider: Underworld
- Tomb Raider
- Tropico 3
- The Walking Dead (Video Game)
- War Thunder
- Warcraft III
- World of Warcraft
- Worms W.M.D
- You Don't Know Jack
- "FMOD Licenses". Firelight Technologies. Retrieved 2017-11-27.
- "Creative Labs: Connect". Connect.creativelabs.com. Archived from the original on 2010-05-04. Retrieved 2010-05-17.
- "Unreal Technology". Unreal Technology. Archived from the original on 2010-05-29. Retrieved 2010-05-17.
- "Unreal Technology". Unreal Technology. Retrieved 2015-04-15.
- "Crytek GmbH: Specifications". Crytek.com. 2010-04-13. Archived from the original on 2009-12-17. Retrieved 2010-05-17.
- "BigWorld Technology - BigWorld Partners". Bigworldtech.com. Archived from the original on 2010-09-18. Retrieved 2010-05-17.
- "Integration". scaleform. Archived from the original on 2010-04-20. Retrieved 2010-05-17.
- "Products - Vision Game Engine | 3rd Party Integrations". havok.com. Archived from the original on 2012-04-19. Retrieved 2010-05-17.
- "Project Anarchy". havok.com.
- "Implementing FMOD". Valve.
- "HeroEngine 1.47.0 Enhancements". HeroEngine wiki. Archived from the original on 2011-04-11. Retrieved 2011-08-11.
- "Game List - FmodWiki". Fmod.org. 2009-12-21. Archived from the original on 2012-08-01. Retrieved 2010-05-17.
- "FMOD - Games". Retrieved 2018-05-01.
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_lUYyGVtZY%7C Planetary Annihilation: LiveStream February 1st, 2013