Fatty Bear's Birthday Surprise
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Fatty Bear's Birthday Surprise|
Fatty Bear's Birthday Surprise is the second video game made by Humongous Entertainment (the first being Putt-Putt Joins the Parade) and the first and only of the Fatty Bear point and click adventure games, though the character was also used in the mini-game compilation Fatty Bear's Fun Pack and the crossover spinoff Putt-Putt & Fatty Bear's Activity Pack, which was a combination of the previous game as well as a similar game featuring HE's character Putt-Putt. It was released in 1993 on both floppy disks and CD-ROM for DOS and Macintosh as well as the 3DO Interactive Multiplayer. The game was later re-released in 1995 and contained a Windows/Mac/DOS-compatible disc.
In July 2013, Tommo bought the Fatty Bear license for the Atari bankruptcy proceedings.
In this game, Kayla is having her birthday tomorrow and it's time for her to go to bed, While she sleeps, her toys and stuffed animals come to life to prepare for her party. Fatty Bear searches through the house looking for ingredients with which to bake a cake. Unfortunately, it is not as easy as Fatty Bear thought - he had planned on baking the cake, but in the kitchen was a mysterious package. When he curiously inspects it, a small brown puppy pops out of it and promptly runs away, tearing the ribbon on the box.
After that, Fatty Bear helps others by finding the letters for the "Happy Birthday" sign and setting up for Kayla's party. Fatty Bear jumps into Kayla's bed before she wakes up. Kayla was surprised to see that her room is beautiful, she thanks Fatty Bear for the surprise and gives him a big hug.
- Fatty Bear - A teddy bear that belongs to a young girl named Kayla. Fatty is Kayla's favorite toy. He is a plain brown bear with black button eyes, wearing a red pair of overalls with a single strap broken partly on the right-side and plain light colored shoes. Fatty Bear was voiced by Scott Burns, who was the English-language voice of Bowser in Mario games released from 2002 to 2010.
- Kayla - A young African-American girl and the owner of Fatty Bear, who is about to celebrate her birthday.
- Matilda Rabbit - A stuffed rabbit that can fly using her ears. She assists Fatty Bear on making Kayla's birthday cake.
- Gretchen - A doll who sets up the birthday decorations in Kayla's bedroom.
- Puppy - An unnamed, apparently female puppy who is supposed to be Kayla's birthday present, but escapes from her package.
Putt-Putt & Fatty Bear's Activity Pack is a game released on March 25, 1994 for the PC. The game is a compilation of 12 mini-games, using the HE's Fatty Bear and Putt-Putt characters.
Electronic Gaming Monthly gave the 3DO version a 7.2 out of 10, saying that it is very similar to the Putt-Putt games, but that, given the choice between the two games, gamers should get one of the Putt-Putt games instead.
- "Review Crew: Fatty Bear's Birthday". Electronic Gaming Monthly (55). EGM Media, LLC. February 1994. p. 46.
- "Humongous Entertainment® Hall of Fame 1993-2000": 10.